Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Beretta Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f178/)
-   -   Beretta 92FS (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f178/beretta-92fs-82270/)

Squawk 01-24-2013 01:26 AM

Beretta 92FS

Want some input on the 92FS? My dad just bought one new for $650. I told him to spend it on a high end Glock, M&P, or XDm but he decided he liked the Beretta.

What did y'all think of this gun?

MobileMarine 01-24-2013 01:55 AM

Dang good and reliable gun , I own a few from taurus and retta and they are my 1st go to large frame semi's . Spend some time on it and you can really learn how to shoot on them . Plenty of parts , IF you ever need any and even though tons of them were made they still hold their value quite well . Try to keep up with all the original papers and boxes . They are a tad bit on the heavy side but like I said , it is a larger gun so .

blucoondawg 01-24-2013 02:00 AM

I like them, we have inherited the FIL's 9mm and I have a Beretta 96A1 which is the same gun in a 40S&W. I am not a fan of strikers in large frame guns that I am not going to carry much if at all, I prefer the SA/DA for general shooting.

jebsca 01-24-2013 02:48 AM

I think he did good. Its an easy gun to pick up and put on target. $650 is a good price, even more so with the way people are going nuts right now. I could be off, cause that's what I gave for each of my Marine 92FSs.

JonM 01-24-2013 09:53 PM

its a good thing he got the gun he wanted rather than the one you wanted ;)

Squawk 01-24-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
its a good thing he got the gun he wanted rather than the one you wanted ;)

Lol. Couldn't agree more. We went to the range today and I actually really enjoyed shooting it. Accuracy was good and I like the weight compared to my M&P.

MobileMarine 01-25-2013 12:20 AM

Its always fun to see the same gun you have in movies . Like '' Hey I got one of them ''

Grapevinebill 01-25-2013 01:02 AM

Mark Twain once wrote, "I left home at 18 convinced my dad was the most ignorant man in the world. I returned home at 21 only to be amazed at how much he learned in those 3 years." Dads are usually a lot smarter than we give them credit for. Sounds like your dad made a smart decision..:)

psymmonds 01-25-2013 04:59 AM

I think he made one of the better choices from those guns. It's dependable, accurate, and proven in the field. There's a reason the military chose it as the side arm of choice during all their firearm competitions. I'm not saying those other guns aren't any of those things. They are also good guns. I would only say that the M&P feels more comfortable to me, but that's me

70cuda383 01-25-2013 04:20 PM

I like Beretta's over just about any other modern day, double stack, semi-auto pistol. (when you toss in the 1911, it's a 50/50 for me. I love the 1911, but it's only an 8 shot single stack gun vs a 15 shot double stack gun)

I carry a Beretta 96 Elite II for my CCW. I picked up a couple Mec-Gar 15 round magazines for them, and the "plus 2" base plate on the Mec-Gar 13 round mags fit the frame flush, and looks about the same as the giant rubber mag plate that were on the mags that came with the gun from the factory.

that said, I'm not going to sit here and try to claim that any one make is better over the other. I know that the polymer striker fired pistols from Glock, Springfield, S&W are all good, quality, reliable weapons that you can trust when/if your life depended on it. I lump them all into the "entry level, $500-600 modern era semi-auto defensive pistol" category, and when friends/family ask my opinion on what to buy, I tell them the same thing--"you can't go wrong with a Glock, XD, M&P, 92/96, etc. so go to the store and handle them, or a range and rent them, and buy the one that feels best and shoots best for you"

I took my dad to buy his first semi-auto pistol a few weeks ago. I had planed on having him handle all the above mentioned weapons, but unfortunately the store was pretty much cleaned out! they had nothing in stock in terms of new Beretta's, (just one beat up police turn-in that was dropped and in really bad shape), they had no full size Springfields or S&Ws, and all they had left were a few Glock 22s and 17s.

There were a few compact size glocks, and a compact size XD, but my dad has big hands like I do, and really wanted a gun that his fit his whole hand. the Glock 23 he handled left his pinky finger dangling off on nothing.

He ended up buying a Glock 22 simply because there really wasn't much else to choose from. he really liked the police department turn-in/used 96, and I have a spare rear sight here to replace the broken one on that gun, figured we could sand/file on the grip a little to smooth out the gouges in the metal, but when I saw the chewed up metal on the muzzle of the barrel I told him the barrel should be replaced for accuracy issues, not knowing what that chewed up metal would do to the round as it was fired--the last thing the bullet would be contacting on the gun was the displaced/gouged metal on the muzzle...so he decided to pass on that Beretta.

We went home and immediately fired about 50 rounds through the Glock, and he was happy with it.

Anyway, It sounds like you're coming around/warming up to the Beretta's too after shooting it. I don't know why, but it seems that when it comes to Beretta's, you either hate them for some unknown reason, or you've shot them and know them, and love them.