Beretta 92 Compact L INOX w/rail - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > Beretta 92 Compact L INOX w/rail

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Mine has it as well. I was looking at it closely, it doesn't resemble an X as much as it does a lamba symbol.

To add something else to the mix. When I pull the slide back, is there a way to gently release it, without hitting the slide lock, so that the guide rod doesn't remain out? It could just be operator error, which is highly possible. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

One other thing, does anyone have an quick DOs and Donts regarding handling and care? I wanna make sure since this is my first handgun that I do everything correctly.

Old 01-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #42

Liked 380 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGunJunkie View Post
Mine has it as well. I was looking at it closely, it doesn't resemble an X as much as it does a lamba symbol.

To add something else to the mix. When I pull the slide back, is there a way to gently release it, without hitting the slide lock, so that the guide rod doesn't remain out? It could just be operator error, which is highly possible. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

One other thing, does anyone have an quick DOs and Donts regarding handling and care? I wanna make sure since this is my first handgun that I do everything correctly.
If there's no mag you can just pull back on the slide to release the mag catch. Then You can maually guide it closed. But slowing it down is generally I'll advised, especially when chambering a round. Also, it might stay back about 1/8" if you guide it closed slowly. Here's a pic so you can see it not locked fully into battery.

Sent from my DeLorean Time Machine
1390704033033.jpg  

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 PM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep, that's what mine is doing. I was just wanting to make sure that releasing the slide lock, when not loaded, was ok to get the guide rod back into proper position.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #44

Quote:
Yep, that's what mine is doing. I was just wanting to make sure that releasing the slide lock, when not loaded, was ok to get the guide rod back into proper position.
Absolutely. Letting it slam home isn't bad for the gun at all. You can pull back on the slide and let it go or you can just use the slide release. Either is completely acceptable.

Whenever the slide closes the guide rod goes into proper position. You don't really need to worry about the guide rod or barrel placement though. Both are engineered intentionally to be the way they are.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 PM   #45
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
Absolutely. Letting it slam home isn't bad for the gun at all. You can pull back on the slide and let it go or you can just use the slide release. Either is completely acceptable.

Whenever the slide closes the guide rod goes into proper position. You don't really need to worry about the guide rod or barrel placement though. Both are engineered intentionally to be the way they are.

Just don't let it slam home on a empty chamber. Not good for any semi auto

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-31-2014, 10:50 PM   #46
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Don't let it slam closed on a empty chamber. Not good. The round in the magazine slows it enough and provides a buffer preventing damage. Slamming on a mag with rounds is ok. Slamming closed empty is not

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Don't let it slam closed on a empty chamber. Not good. The round in the magazine slows it enough and provides a buffer preventing damage. Slamming on a mag with rounds is ok. Slamming closed empty is not
I'm going to be honest. I have never heard that before. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that just seems so weird.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #48
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
I'm going to be honest. I have never heard that before. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that just seems so weird.

Slides slamming empty put a lot of stress on locking lugs/blocks chambers and bolt faces. If you have roll pins or solid pins and screws in the slide steel on steel can sheer em when doing this. Happens with folks dry slamming xdm glock m&p 1911 m9 etc.

Every instance of sheering pins usually happens from folks that dry slam a lot. Maybe coincidence but I doubt it

Old 01-31-2014, 11:21 PM   #49

That makes sense. So it's something you have to do a lot to really cause damage?

Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 PM   #50
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
That makes sense. So it's something you have to do a lot to really cause damage?

Yup. Takes a bit to get that far. Its like dry firing a revolver with the firing pin on the hammer or dry firing a 22lr. You can do it for while but sooner or later snap.

I don't let my semi rifles slam closed empty.

Some semis don't have a bolt hold open nothing you can do about that cept don't add unnecessary stress.