Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > Beretta 92 clone from Turkey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default Beretta 92 clone from Turkey

I was browsing at a local gun store today and in the used gun section saw what looked like a Beretta 92F and when I asked to see it I saw it was a American Tactical 92 made in Turkey.
I know there are Beretta 92 clones out there like the Taurus PT92 ,but I never seen one of these before.And the shop owner was even able to put a magazine from a Beretta 92 into it with no problem.Seemed like an exact duplicate as far as look and functions go.But the finish isn't as great as a Beretta.They are asking $310 for it and comes with one 15 round magazine.I was very very tempted,but I think I will wait until I have enough for a original Beretta.Another Beretta clone they had was a Egyptian Helwan MAP-O 9mm.Obviously a clone of the Beretta M951
Anyone have any experience with the ATI 92?

Last edited by WillWork4Ammo; 11-08-2013 at 02:06 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/12/02/ati-at92-pistol-mkek-yavuz-16/

Isn't the stoeger/beretta cougar pistol made in Turkey?

I would see if I could find out a bit more on the background and haggle the price down to what you are willing to pay. The Taurus clones of the beretta 92f came about in a similar manner and have a good rep for quality.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5306 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Actually the taurus isn't a clone its a beretta 92 not a fs or f model though. Its made in an old berreta plant using berreta machinery setup up by berreta to make 92's for the brazillians. When the contract ended berreta sold the factory to taurus who was running it for them.

The 1980's to 1990's taurus 92 were superior to the same period berreta 92s due mainly to the fact taurus was using billet steel while berreta switched to forgings and mim. One of the reasons the italian berreta m9 in the early issue days had slides shooting off the back and the taurus never did.

Today the reverse is true with the current m9a1 and 92fs faaaar superior to the taurus 92

Save up.for a real m9a1 or 92fs you won't be sorry

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Actually the taurus isn't a clone its a beretta 92 not a fs or f model though. Its made in an old berreta plant using berreta machinery setup up by berreta to make 92's for the brazillians. When the contract ended berreta sold the factory to taurus who was running it for them.

The 1980's to 1990's taurus 92 were superior to the same period berreta 92s due mainly to the fact taurus was using billet steel while berreta switched to forgings and mim. One of the reasons the italian berreta m9 in the early issue days had slides shooting off the back and the taurus never did.

Today the reverse is true with the current m9a1 and 92fs faaaar superior to the taurus 92

The way I feel is until Taurus can make their 92 just as good or better than a standard 92 fs, it's gonna be labeled a clone. Because clones and knock-offs of products are always worse. But if they're better, they get recognized. So I'm gonna keep calling it a clone, and keep my 92a1

Old 11-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5306 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
The way I feel is until Taurus can make their 92 just as good or better than a standard 92 fs, it's gonna be labeled a clone. Because clones and knock-offs of products are always worse. But if they're better, they get recognized. So I'm gonna keep calling it a clone, and keep my 92a1
The current 2013 guns are clones the ones from the 80's and 90's were 92's

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #6

Liked 1972 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

Brazil actually nationalized the Beretta plant against Beretta's will. The government sold the factory to Taurus to continue production of the 92S series guns.

The Italian Berettas did not have the slide issues initially, but ratehr the Beretta USA plant produced 92FS did have problems with cracking locking blocks and slides due to a departure from alloy spec and heat treatment in the original Italian design specs. The problem was addressed and ceased to be an issue. there were some additional slide modifications to reduce teh risk of actual complete separation from the frame in teh event of a future break though.

I had seen several Taurus 92 pistols come back into the range from 1989-1993 with broken locking blocks, and trigger issues that I did not see with Italian made guns. Never saw one of the US guns come back in the shop before I joined the Navy and left, but they Maryland plant guns weren't as common for commercial sale at that time because the MD factory was still primarily concerned with fulfilling government contracts.

I did discuss problems with slides and locking blocks with Navy Gunners Mates and Marine armorers. They had seen some of the early problems with the locking blocks and slides, but said that it had become much more rare in the last decade after they had gone through required updates of parts.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #7

Liked 128 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I went back a few days ago and it was sold.No biggie as I decided just to wait for a Beretta 92FS.Interesting info about the Taurus .I discovered that CDNN was selling the ATI 92s for $299.00 awhile back.Would have been a cool gun to have in my collection though.The reviews on the Helwan I have read were not great.But some have said the Helwan with the Arabic markings are the much better ones.The Helwan would be a great addition to my collection,but they want $240 for it and it's pretty beat up and missing a screw on one of the grips.I would give $150 for it if I can talk them down.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

These guns were imported about 2 years ago. They are kinda old news now. They were discontinued for unknown reasons after just a few months of importation (lots of different theories at the Beretta Forum at the time).

I do not believe there is any warranty available on them, as parts and service were discontinued on them when they stopped the importation, or so I have been told.

I looked at them a few times - I'd rather have the real deal. There were lots of reviews on them in the past - some loved them, and some people had issues. But, I guess you can say that about anything. Although, the problem rate seems to be above what a real Beretta 92 would have, IMHO...

CDNN bought up most of the old stock of these after importation was discontinued, and they sold them in mass for a while.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Who ever bought it probably did you a favor

Old 04-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I saw a new magazine ad for these again. Last week... I guess these are back...