You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum >

Beretta 92 Accuracy Mythbusting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 140 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I just received a private communication this morning from an active duty Army soldier who shared his experiences with the M9. Basically, it all comes down to how well they are being maintained. He was issued one recently that had a barrel that moved so much he could get no better than an 8" group at 10 yards. He turned it in, was issued one with no "wobble" and got a good consistent 2" group at 10 yards, etc.
People Like This 
Old 07-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #22

Liked 321 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 355

I own a M-9 and like it very much but I don't seem to shoot it as well as my other guns....though I tend to blame "operator error" as opposed to the gun. I do not like the trigger but I still like the gun and shoot well enough with it to suit me and it is a fine looking specimen!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #23

Liked 140 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Thanks, Mouser, that's interesting to hear. I think everyone has to really check out a variety of firearms to determine which gun is best for them.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 924 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 4876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I never really bought into that theory in the first place. However, for the purpose of busting the myth, I would have preferred to see a more conclusive method used.
First, what is the expected level of accuracy? It's a milspec pistol. I'm certain there is an expected standard of accuracy it must achieve IAW DoD contract guidlines. I would assume it to be a specified group size group at a standard distance with a specified ammunition.
In other words: Just how accurate was it designed/required to be? Does your particular example meet the established standard? Does that established standard meet your particular standard of "accurate?" How about that of the general shooting public?
Bonus question: How do the results compare to similar pistols (CZ Sig etc.)?
Until we have an average group size to compare to a set standard, we won't really know.

To be fair, I do believe that it is more accurate that many people give it credit for, but then most quality pistols are.
If it didn't live up to any of the DoD guidelines, they most likely never would have purchased it.

That said, the reason military and police are given training on how to properly use firearms is so they can become accurate with them. No matter how accurate a gun is designed to be, if you don't know how to shoot properly, you wouldn't hit the side of a barn.

As stated by Therewolf, Hollywood is to blame for most people believing it's accuracy sucks. Because we all know that you can shoot a person on a rooftop some 600 years with a handgun and get a head shot every time...

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 07-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 924 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 4876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post

Now, I have heard reports about the questionable quality control of the M9, especially during the 90s in the desert. But this is a different topic on the gun. Is this another "myth" to examine? I did find this report on the slides. Baretta and the Army seem to blame each other...
Most of the issues with the M9 and M16 in the desert were from not properly maintaining them (Jessica Lynch proves this).

I was in the Army for too long, and have seen both newer and much more experienced soldiers not take care of their weapons... and it really doesn't take much to do so.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere