Beretta 70s .22 lr
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > Beretta 70s .22 lr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Beretta 70s .22 lr

Just picked up a 98% condition 70s
Only 20 rounds fired thru it! Got it from the original owner. I traded a threaded barrel Browning Buckmark for it. This thing is sweet. I haven't seen many of them for sale, and was wondering what the going value is. Any info will be appreciated. I may keep it or try to sell or trade.
Thanksimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1392498543.477512.jpgimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1392498567.399739.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1788 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 907

The slide stop spring in this model is flimsy. It can lose tension over time. It is easily replaced IF you find one. You will have to shoot the pistol to see how it holds back the slide on empty.

The model you have is probably the Jaguar, and should be very close to the one Israel chose for counter-terrorist operations in the 60'-70's. That Beretta cycled reliably with specially designed light loads, working quietly without a suppressor. The "Mossad connection" has supported this model's value.

In the early 70's AFAIR a Palestinian terrorist group hijacked an airliner in Zurich, Switzerland. Four terrorists, armed with the AK's, were positioned outside on the ground. A lone Israeli air marshal, armed with the 22 Beretta, found his way to their position, killed one and wounded another, before the Swiss had arrived.

These Berettas are getting pretty rare. I would estimate it at $600 in excellent condition, but don't hold me to this number, look it up on gunbroker and other auction sites.

I find it hard to believe only 20 rounds have been fired, UNLESS you know the seller and definitely take his word for it.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #3

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Sweet gun!!
I have been keeping an eye out for one at a good price but seldom see them at any price

Old 02-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
Sweet gun!!
I have been keeping an eye out for one at a good price but seldom see them at any price
Would you be interested in it?

Liberals amuse me.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Indeed only 20 rounds thru it! I know the guy. You can look at it and tell it has seen little use. The magazine has zero wear on the outside. Internals show very very minimal use. I would be interested in trading or selling.
Near mint condition Beretta model 70 s .22 LR.
I'd take 550.00 obro . Trades 1911 pistols, or AR platforms. Send offers of anything except no name stuff.
These are very rare especially in this condition. Was from an estate. I got it from the family member. It was unfired, and he actually fired 20 rds thru it. The original box has been misplaced, but not lost. He told me that he took it out of the box fired it cleaned it and put it in his safe. The box was in his closet. It may turn up , but may not. It has one factory original mag. Have to see to appreciate how clean this rare little pistol is. Please let me know if you are interested in it.
Thanks

Liberals amuse me.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

How far from IN are you?

Old 02-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Since the Pistol doesn't have a Jaguar grip, I'm guessing that this is the European model. Jaguar was the name for the ones sent to the US. I'd say yours would fetch $450 on up on Gunbroker, perhaps more . I've bought several in the last 6 months in condition varying from VG to Exc, and $411 was the most that I paid. In the pics, note the left grip that says Jaguar on the bottom pistol, while the silver pistol has plain black grips, no logo.

dscn1957002.jpg   dscn1956001.jpg   dscn1522jpg.jpg  

3d Infantry Division
"Dogface Soldier"
Beretta 70 Collection
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Mercator Likes This 
Old 02-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #8

There is a date code on the trigger guard, something like XIX or XVII, possibly. Code XX (1964) or earlier qualifies it as a C&R pistol, and you may get added value from THAT fact. With the safety on yours, I suspect it's from the early 70's at least, perhaps even a 1980's build. Earlier pistols had the pushbutton safety . One thing about value of this pistol, it's a very reputable pistol, and they don't make them anymore. Value will do nothing but go up.

3d Infantry Division
"Dogface Soldier"
Beretta 70 Collection
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Last edited by bbertram; 02-20-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Mercator Likes This 
Old 02-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
The slide stop spring in this model is flimsy. It can lose tension over time. It is easily replaced IF you find one. You will have to shoot the pistol to see how it holds back the slide on empty.

The model you have is probably the Jaguar, and should be very close to the one Israel chose for counter-terrorist operations in the 60'-70's. That Beretta cycled reliably with specially designed light loads, working quietly without a suppressor. The "Mossad connection" has supported this model's value.

In the early 70's AFAIR a Palestinian terrorist group hijacked an airliner in Zurich, Switzerland. Four terrorists, armed with the AK's, were positioned outside on the ground. A lone Israeli air marshal, armed with the 22 Beretta, found his way to their position, killed one and wounded another, before the Swiss had arrived.

These Berettas are getting pretty rare. I would estimate it at $600 in excellent condition, but don't hold me to this number, look it up on gunbroker and other auction sites.

I find it hard to believe only 20 rounds have been fired, UNLESS you know the seller and definitely take his word for it.
Parts are definitely something of an issue. In the US, Numrich has some,
http://www.gun-parts.com/beretta/ , has many, and sometimes they are available from Brignoliarmi , in Italy. One advantage of having several pistols is always having one that works. That said, mine have been reliable and needed no parts, except magazines.

3d Infantry Division
"Dogface Soldier"
Beretta 70 Collection
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbertram View Post
There is a date code on the trigger guard, something like XIX or XVII, possibly. Code XX (1964) or earlier qualifies it as a C&R pistol, and you may get added value from THAT fact. With the safety on yours, I suspect it's from the early 70's at least, perhaps even a 1980's build. Earlier pistols had the pushbutton safety .
That kind of safety was on mine. I regret trading it for a Hammerli. Excellent, knowledgeable reference!