Accuracy of a 92FS? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > Accuracy of a 92FS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

I had one once and I could shoot a smiley face on a silhouette target at 30 feet. Wasn't perfect like Mel Gibson in lethal weapon but you could def tell it was a smiley face. Dang I miss that gun. So yeah I would say its pretty accurate.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #12

Out of the box new, 92's are capable of 8 inch groups at 50 yards with quality (match grade) ammo. As they get a few rounds down the pipe (1000+) the locking block and slide wear and the barrel no longer locks up as tight and the groups begin to open.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1938 Times on 1343 Posts
Likes Given: 988

This is an oldish thread, but I just now noticed it.

For some reason there is no love for the 92F/M9. Urban lore: Not too accurate - false. The slide is prone to cracking - false. Italian ones are better than U.S. - false. The Army was stupid to switch - false. It is an excellent all-around traditional full size DA/SA combat pistol. It can compete with any such pistol in the same class.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I remember the first time I shot the M9 qualifying, hated that gun. As time went on I began to love that gun. One day I'll buy me my own M-9 because I miss it. Pissed off I passed on a chance to get one surplus for 350 before I got out.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 10-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman3
I remember the first time I shot the M9 qualifying, hated that gun. As time went on I began to love that gun. One day I'll buy me my own M-9 because I miss it. Pissed off I passed on a chance to get one surplus for 350 before I got out.
Forgot to add first time qualified sharpshooter 2 points from expert. So even though I felt uncomfortable with it it was still accurate enough for me to get my ribbon.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #16

Liked 2187 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Slides were cracking at one point in their life, as we're locking blocks. As noted by the Marine armorers and Navy Gunners Mates that I knew. The slides and locking blocks from Maryland had varied away from the heat treatment process utilized in Italy. Once they returned to the old method. Problems have become less frequent. Also a slide change was made to help keep the slides in one piece longer if they cracked to keep from injuring the shooter.

Some urban legends still continue but they were based in some fact from certain lots of Beretta USA guns and parts.

Still a great pistol overall. I'm old enough to have shot some pretty heavily worn 1911s and to have deployed with M9s. I've shot both in fleet pistol matches and placed with both. The M9 or 92FS is pretty capable as a service match pistol, though the 1911 has some competative edges with a short single action trigger and a bullet that is fatter to have a higher probability if cutting a higher scoring ring.

My first pistol purchased when I turned 21 was an Italian 92FS. Still have it, won't sell it.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1938 Times on 1343 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Forgot another imaginary flaw to the 92F. The open slide scoops up dirt and jams. I think every time, what's in it to you as an armed civilian, let Army worry about it.

It is ironic that of all small arms across the iron curtain, the M9 enjoyed the widest "missile gap" compared to its soviet counterpart.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
This is an oldish thread, but I just now noticed it.

For some reason there is no love for the 92F/M9. Urban lore: Not too accurate - false. The slide is prone to cracking - false. Italian ones are better than U.S. - false. The Army was stupid to switch - false. It is an excellent all-around traditional full size DA/SA combat pistol. It can compete with any such pistol in the same class.
Compaired to a 1911 ill take the 1911 for accuracy. I own both.

First issue runs slides cracked and would shoot rearwards right off the frame into the shooter's face causing injury.

The military was stupid to switch. They went from a decades reliable design that both men and women of almost any handsize could use well to a pistol that is very difficult for people with smaller hands to hold operate and shoot well. Seen it for myself in actual use. I was part of the switch over and troops that had smaller hands preferred the 1911 as it was easier to use and hit with.

In its class of da guns the m9 is excellent but its outclassed by the 1911 as a combat issue goto war handgun.

I carry a m9 as a ccw and i carry a 1911 as a ccw interchanging from time to time for variety. Unlike the military im not restricted to fmj rounds in the 9mm which is the weakpoint in the discussion. In terms of fmj the 45acp is a big big big winner in effectiveness. Only when you use restricted to militiary hollowpoints of modern design does the 9mm become an effective defense round.

Thats the real issue in the 1911 being stupidly replaced by the m9

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #19

Liked 75 Times on 47 Posts

I'm a better shot with my 92fs than any of my other hand guns. One day a buddy of mine was laughing at me shooting my bersa ultra compact cause I was all around the bullseye. So I said ok and pulled my 92fs and shot out the bullseye. That shut him up.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #20

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

I just shot expert in the Army last Wednesday with this gun.
I hadn't touched it in in many years but do a lot of shooting on my own albeit with revolvers.

In order ot be confident i would shoot expert I spent the previous evening with a rental M9 and did about 170 rds thru it.

This helped me the next morning beause I discovered an idiosyncrasy i have with the M9 that my POI always seemed low.

I corrected it that evening but adjust my POA and it was fine.

next day on the Army range the gun shot quite well for me.

As a revolver guy who believes in the superior accuracy of revolvers I was somewhat surprised that it shot maybe 80% as well as my GP100 .

For it's class, as being a service semi-auto loading Pistol, its accuracy quite decent IMO

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 10-27-2013 at 10:52 PM.