Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > Accuracy of a 92FS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default Accuracy of a 92FS?

I'm looking for a 9mm to use at our local semi auto target league. I've always liked the look of the 92, but am curious how accurate they are for target shooting?

Bob

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 AM   #2

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

They're accurate enough, but they're not a target gun. If this is a fairly informal group of friends shooting to see who buys the beer later in the evening after the guns go away, you'll be fine. If this is no kidding real competitive target shooting, you'll need to sink more money into a gun and a ton of ammo for practice.

On that note, a shooter that's more accurate than their gun is a rare thing indeed. Your best bet is practice, practice, practice...regardless of the gun you shoot.

I shot expert in the Marine Corps with the M9. Had only ever picked one up that morning. It has a fat grip that's terribly hard for me to hold with my small hands, and a bore axis higher than what I like, leading to what I felt was recoil that was ridiculously out of proportion to the caliber. Between that and the fat grip,I was ready to throw the God damned thing by the end of the day.

The tiny Puerto Rican girl next to me on the line loved the gun.

Individual mileage varies.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #3

Liked 348 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I agree it is not a target gun, but as a combat handgun it's pretty darn accurate.

The first time I shot a Beretta 92FS (The only Beretta 92 style I've shot) was the same time I fired an old Colt Government model. It was also my first time shooting 9mm. We were shooting at empty soda cans. The old Colt was knocking them down and I was doing ok. Don't remember the distance, probably 20 feet or slightly less.

When I shot the Beretta I was getting really frustrated because nothing seemed to be happening. When I emptied the first magazine I went to go pick up the one can that was knocked down and realized the other two were full of holes. Apparently I was actually shooting better with it than the Colt, but those 9mm's just whizzed through while the .45's were knocking them over.

The 92FS was the first gun to show me what it meant when a gun was more accurate than the shooter. However, it's been pretty damn rare that I've fired anything else. Overall, it's not my cup of tea for reasons I'm not going to get into, but they seem like good accurate guns and I've personally known two police officers who chose to use a 92 model as their service weapon.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 08-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by unioncreek View Post
I'm looking for a 9mm to use at our local semi auto target league. I've always liked the look of the 92, but am curious how accurate they are for target shooting?

Bob
It'll probably do ok. If/when you get serious about accuracy, there are better, though costlier options.
In any competition discipline, the best way to decide what to use is to go watch a match and see what the really good shooters are using. It's a good way to determine if you can really afford it.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 08-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have seen past magazine reviews of 2" groups at 25 yards. That's not bad.

There is a guy by the screenname of "WAL" at the Beretta Forum. For a fee, he can install a bushing on your barrel. Lots of members there are doing it. It increases accuracy.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

Liked 2303 Times on 1349 Posts
Likes Given: 1468

hmmm...maybe i'm just not as serious as some of y'all....but i always thought my 92 was as accurate as most any pistol i have shot.....certainly never felt the glocks or sigs or s&w's, etc in a comparible caliber were any noticeable amount more accurate....

but again, my n my friends normally shot at cans and such vs accuracy competitions....

i was just shooting at the range with a friend and my new 92 compact....he was all over the place with his new pistol and then he proceeded to take my 92 and place bullet on bullet....just at 7 yards, but he still shot FAR better with my beretta vs his s&w...and so did i....

i dunno....i have never gotten the accusations on the beretta apaprently having poor accuracy......in fact i had never heard it until just recently...

only guy i ever personally heard bash the beretta 92 was an ex military guy...he said they shot awful....but then turned around to admit he had not idea how old or how many rounds or how badly his service berettas had been abused...so i kinda dismissed it a bit...

Old 08-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

Liked 2392 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

My accuracy is:

target 22s,

DE44,

92FS,

Everything else.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Never belonged to a target league, but competed in plenty of competitions. 92s make a fine comp. gun. I use to have an Italian manufactured 92 that did me proud on the German circuit. I also competed with a Colt mark IV series 80. Liked it even better. The best gun I ever competed with is my presently owned Sig Sauer P226r. Sigs make excellent competition guns.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

New gun owner purchased the 92FS now has 2400 rounds able to group 10 shots at 10 yards around 4 inches, it's the first shot that gets me long trigger pull after that no problem. 51 years old from NJ, can't wait to shoot it , great gun thinking about getting the PX4 sub-compact any input would be welcomed, thanks.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #10

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The accusations of really poor accuracy coming from former military are because of maintenance issues and **** ammo.

My gun was worn, but in good condition. My ammo... we had to "police" our bullets. I kid you not, we had to walk down range and pick up our bullets where many of them punched through the paper, bounced off the backstop, and settled in the dirt.

As I said, I shot expert too. But I could see my bullets flying downrange.