Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > 92FS Trigger Reset problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default 92FS Trigger Reset problem

Hey everyone,

This might be valuable information to whoever might experience this problem.
I got a new Beretta 92FS last night and I didn't get to shoot it and everything seemed alright for the few seconds I spent handling it and checking the safeties and everything. Today I proceeded with detail stripping it (including sear & spring) and putting it back together just like I do with any new gun.

After doing more extensive function checks, I noticed that when the hammer was all the way down (against the frame), the trigger would 9 times out 10 not reset and therefore not cock the hammer when I pressed the trigger. I quickly realized that the trigger bar was not engaging the hammer and that all it took was pulling it a hair back for it to engage, otherwise it would sit right under and move back and forth without engaging anything. I noticed that if I slightly pulled the trigger forward, it would bring the trigger bar just far back enough to engage the hammer, then if I pulled the trigger it would cock the hammer. So at that point one option could have been to slightly file the trigger bar so that it would engage the hammer sooner. But taking a look at the trigger, I noticed that the trigger spring leg was resting against the frame too early and not pushing the trigger all the way forward. By that I mean, I could pull the trigger forward past the point where the spring was exerting pressure onto it. So I shortened one leg 3 times incrementally until the trigger was forced all the way forward and wouldn't fail to engage the hammer! Maybe something in my gun is slightly out of spec, but now I get 100% reliability in DA dry fires.

Once again, the little things make everything!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 02-24-2013 at 05:00 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

sounds like you had a bad trigger spring from the factory. I've not heard of that issue before, but as you found, it's a simple solution. lots of little springs and things are critical to the reliability of a semi-auto pistol! magazine spring, slide stop spring, recoil spring, trigger return spring, trigger bar spring that pushes up on the bar to keep it engaged in the hammer/sear, the main hammer spring, sear spring, magazine release button spring...did I miss any? haha!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I am having the exact same issue with a 92FS. It started after a project I did to replave controls on a black gun with stainless controlls, including the trigger. There never has been an issue is I am firing with live ammo, just as you described or with snap caps. I will have to re-look at this to see if I can get it working. The trigger spring is a beast and I didnt want to take it apart again if I didn't have too.

I have spent a lot of money on guns bullets and holsters... The rest I have just squandered...

Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapevinebill View Post
I am having the exact same issue with a 92FS. It started after a project I did to replave controls on a black gun with stainless controlls, including the trigger. There never has been an issue is I am firing with live ammo, just as you described or with snap caps. I will have to re-look at this to see if I can get it working. The trigger spring is a beast and I didnt want to take it apart again if I didn't have too.
I've found that the trick to the trigger spring is to use tweezers. use the flats of the tweezer on each side of the coil of the spring, and simply push straight down until the pin for the trigger will slip through. first time I did the trigger spring, yea, it probably took me 20 minutes to get that booger back in there. now I can do it in a minute or less

Old 02-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #5

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah all these little springs are annoying but with tweezers, little punches etc. it's pretty easy to take the whole thing apart. I'd like to make a video but I won't be able to record and take the gun apart at the same time, not to mention keeping the right stuff in focus in the dark areas.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"