92fs slide lock issue

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > 92fs slide lock issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 92fs slide lock issue

Hey everyone

Was shooting my 92fs over the weekend and the slide failed to lock after the last round. I have 2 10 round mags and not positive if it happened on both mags or just one of them.

after the slide did not lock back I racked the slide back and it stayed opened with the empty mag inserted. So i am thinking possible a weak mag spring or worn follower.

I loaded up both mags again and shot all rounds and did not have an issue. Repated and then had the issue. I should have marked the mag the first time it happened to see if it happened on both mags.

Going to the range this weekend and I will pay more attention on if this is happening on both mags or just the one. This did happen one other time 3 or 4 range trips ago. Happened once and I was not too concerned since it happened in the middle of my range session and the remaining rounds were fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

This happens sometimes when I put my thumbs too far up on the slide. The thumb is sitting on the slide release. I have short, but thick fingers. This can happen with any gun. When I first bought my P226 it happened a lot. I learned to adjust the location of my thumbs. This happens even to seasoned shooters. If this happens again, be mindful of wear your thumbs are when it happens.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
This happens sometimes when I put my thumbs too far up on the slide. The thumb is sitting on the slide release. I have short, but thick fingers. This can happen with any gun. When I first bought my P226 it happened a lot. I learned to adjust the location of my thumbs. This happens even to seasoned shooters. If this happens again, be mindful of wear your thumbs are when it happens.
I will check that out but pretty sure that is not the case.

If it ends up to be the mag any thoughts on stretching the spring a little?

One more question. Are the springs the same in the 15 and 10 round mags. If I need to try a new spring and follower I want to order the right one. But I only see springs for 15 round mags.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 712 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 4044

I could be wrong, but I think the springs are the same (haven't found any info suggesting they are different, plus I have both 15 and 10 round mags for it, and the springs look the same length).

Honestly, though, if it's not the thumb issue, it could be the lever itself or the slide catch spring.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
I have a new 92fs and it happened once with me and a few times with my wife (has small hands). I was told "limp wristing" can contribute to this. We wre told this can interupt the slide action just enough to cause this and FTE. We both have adjusted our grip and has not happened since. It helped us I hope it will get you going to a solution.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943

I have a new 92fs and it happened once with me and a few times with my wife (has small hands). I was told "limp wristing" can contribute to this. We wre told this can interupt the slide action just enough to cause this and FTE. We both have adjusted our grip and has not happened since. It helped us I hope it will get you going to a solution.
Never had a FTE with it. Just failing to keep the slide open on the last round. Hitting there he this weekend will let you know how it goes.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Never stretch springs it makes them drastically weaker.

Could be the slide stop is getting worn. Or the ammo your using is particularlly weak and not cyccling the slide far enough back or very overpowered cycling rhe slide too fast. It can also be a sign its time to change the recoil spring.

A worn recoil spring can cause very fast cycling not leaving enough time for the mag spring to move the follower

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

It may not be the slide catch itself that's the issue maybe the magazine is causing it. The follower may not be pushing the catch up. Try cleaning these and living the slide catch.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 06-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

As an instructor I often find the problem lies with a weak hand hold....(a.k.a....limp wristing).....as mentioned in a previous response here.
I'm working with my wife on this problem with her new PX4 Compact. This can also lead to stove pipe jams if your hold is soft enough.
A lot of shooters will start off with a full mag, and a good stiff hold, and as they shoot through the mag their hold relaxes to the point where the slide doesn't lock after the last round.
I've had some pretty big men have the same issue, it has more to do with the mild recoil of the 9mm round than your ability to properly shoot a handgun, since those same shooters will not have this problem when I hand them a .45acp 1911 to shoot. Because of the harsher recoil, they tend to maintain a strong tight grip through the last round fired.
If the magazines are fairly new, haven't been weakened by leaving them full to capacity for a long period of time, and our 92FS is kept cleaned and properly lubricated, the chances of it being a mechanical malfunction is very low compared to your grip. Check your grip first, if it still happens, then I would start looking at the magazine, and slide release for answers.....