Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Beretta Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f178/)
-   -   92fs magazines (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f178/92fs-magazines-88090/)

beretta9988 04-03-2013 04:45 PM

92fs magazines
 
I purchase a used 92fs that came with the original case and manual and 2 10 rounds mags. The Manual states the pistol came with 2 15 round mags when new. I assume the person that sold it to the GS bought the 2 10 round mags separately. Not sure what happened to the 15 round mags.

How would I know if the mags are beretta or aftermarket?
Thanks

Tackleberry1 04-03-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beretta9988 (Post 1201747)
I purchase a used 92fs that came with the original case and manual and 2 10 rounds mags. The Manual states the pistol came with 2 15 round mags when new. I assume the person that sold it to the GS bought the 2 10 round mags separately. Not sure what happened to the 15 round mags.

How would I know if the mags are beretta or aftermarket?
Thanks

I own no Beretta's and do not remember "from my grunt days" if Beretta marked the magazines?

I can tell you that many States have a 10 round limit so even though the literature says 15... and even if your state has no such restriction... It's entirely possible the gun was sold "new" in a "10 round" state, hence the 10 rounders that came with your gun.

It's highly unlikely that a previous owner bought it new with 15 round mags, then went out and purchases 10 rounders?

Limited Cap magazines are kind of like those stupid cable locks that come with every new gun... Lot's of people get stuck with them, but no one actually goes looking to buy them.

I'm sure one of our Beretta fans will be along shortly to answer your I.D. questions.

Good Luck

Tack

beretta9988 04-03-2013 05:42 PM

Hey thanks for the response.

Wondering if the person who sold the gun tobthe GS sold the 15 rounds mags to someone else since they are out of stock everywhere I have looked.

Does anyone know if the 15 rounds mags stick out of the pistol more than the 10? The 10 sits in there flush but wondering how they fit 5 more rounds in if the 10 and 15 are the same physical size. Or is the 15 longer?

Tackleberry1 04-03-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beretta9988 (Post 1201792)
Hey thanks for the response.

Wondering if the person who sold the gun tobthe GS sold the 15 rounds mags to someone else since they are out of stock everywhere I have looked.

Does anyone know if the 15 rounds mags stick out of the pistol more than the 10? The 10 sits in there flush but wondering how they fit 5 more rounds in if the 10 and 15 are the same physical size. Or is the 15 longer?

15 rounds is the "standard" capacity for your pistol and the mag fits "flush".

10 rounders are modified to accept less.

Assuming you are in a non "10 round state" it should be possible to convert your 10's to hold 15's.

I've never done this with a Beretta mag but it should only required replacing the springs and followers at most.

I'm sure if you do a google search you'll find some instructions on this... but first I'd make sure your state does not limit you to 10 rounds and that it's not illegal to "modify" a factory mag.

Tack

SSGN_Doc 04-03-2013 07:49 PM

Do the 10 round mags have indentations on the sides that go for the majority of the length of the mag? If they do then they cannot be modified to be 15 rounders again.

As others already said, there is a good possibility thta the gun was sold in a restricted capacity state, and 10 rounders needed to be shipped wiht the gun.
Another possibility is what you stated, where the owner may have had some standard capacity mags and held on to those to resell.
Otion 3 is thta the gun shop got ahold of the gun and removed the 15 rounders to make a higher profit and replaced them with 10 rounders.

Beretta factory mags were made by Mec-Gar in italy and marked with Beretta markings. Government contract mags were from Beretta through Mec-Gar and Check Mate, and maybe others. Some of the Check-Mate marked mags had a bad reputation for having followers get stuck when exposed to dirt due to excessive parkerizing on the inside of the mag body, and having bad follower springs. If you get Check-Mate mags, run some steel wool through the inside of the mag to polish it a bit, and get newer replacement springs.

etbob9 04-04-2013 04:47 AM

I purchased my 92fs Vertec (new) around 2004. This was near the end of
the Clinton Assault Weapons ban and Beretta sold their Handguns with 10
round mags to comply with the ban. I'm not sure if all their pistols had 10
round mags at this time but mine did.

My 10 round mags have the formed grooves on the sides and cannot
be converted for 15 rounds. The standard 15 round mag fits flush, just
like the ten round.

JonM 04-04-2013 02:15 PM

if you tell us what state your in we could help ya. there are a few marxist states that only want the political elite to be armed and have restricted magazines to less than normal capacity.

Grapevinebill 04-04-2013 02:16 PM

If they are Beretta magazines the best way to tell is the markings on the side. They will say "Made in Italy" and some have "PB" on them.

beretta9988 04-05-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
if you tell us what state your in we could help ya. there are a few marxist states that only want the political elite to be armed and have restricted magazines to less than normal capacity.

I live in PA. Don't think their is a restriction. I see PB on the mags.

Trooper7687 04-07-2013 10:03 AM

Never seen 10rd magazines for the 92fs, I live in the UK and mine came with 15rd as standard and I have a collection of 17rd magazines that I use with no problems


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:08 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.