Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Beretta Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f178/)
-   -   92fs failure to load (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f178/92fs-failure-load-87862/)

beretta9988 03-31-2013 02:10 AM

92fs failure to load

I bought a used 92fs a few weeks back. Looks to be in really good condition. Had it at the range two weeks ago and it fired without issue.

Took it to the range today and had 2 failure to load on the first and second round. This happened twice.

The first 75 rounds fired with no issue. Then I switched to Winchester target ammo. That is when the issue started. I was out of other brands of ammo so I could not switch back to see it was the ammo. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

dalefan88 03-31-2013 02:39 AM

Could be the ammo. I have fired Winchester, federal, blazer brass, and herters thru my 92fs that I bought a month ago with 0 problems so far. But every gun is different.

drvsafe 03-31-2013 02:43 AM

Was the pistol dry? Make sure to give it a bit of oil in all the right places.

beretta9988 03-31-2013 02:52 AM

Going to give it a good cleaning and try the Winchester ammo again first before using the federal ammo.

What is a good oil to use? Someone suggested using some high temp bearing grease on the slide.

JonM 04-06-2013 01:56 PM

I use 30 weight motor oil. Doesnt evaporate off under use or heat.

If its used it might need a new recoil spring.

Magazines might need a good cleaning too.

fernando 04-06-2013 08:19 PM

Just for your reference. My Beretta 92 A1 and my Glock 19 failed to fire several times with Sellier & Bellot 140 gr. These are too weak.

beretta9988 04-09-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM

I have it a goo cleaning and applied oil to the spots recorded in the manual. I also took the mags apart and cleaned them as well. Went to the range and did not have the issue. Guess it just needed a good cleaning.

Thanks everyone.

beretta9988 04-09-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM

Also how do you know if you need a new recoil spring?

JonM 04-10-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beretta9988 (Post 1207687)
Also how do you know if you need a new recoil spring?

My full size pistols get new ones every 1500-2000 rounds my compacts and sub compacts every 500.

Frame battering starts around the 3500ish give or take 1000 rounds. I like to keep well under that as im not as affluent as the federal government.

When the spring becomes dramatically shorter than a new one you change it. Signs of extreme wear are cycling issues .

Hand cycling, just racking the slide doesnt hurt a recoil spring in any measurable way. Its the violent explosion of rearward force that compressing the spring extremely rapidly when its fired does the real damage. Its why magazine springs last a lifetime and recoil springs die rapidly.

Mileage varies some springs are stronger and last longer than others in the same gun. Mine get changed regularly.

Grapevinebill 04-10-2013 02:36 PM

Good advice JonM. Add to that the relative low cost of a spring and why wouldn't you change them often. Several guns in my collcetion are used and that is the first thing I do. Its part of the right of passage so to speak.