Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta Forum > .380acp M9 berreta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5286 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Default .380acp M9 berreta

a few weeks ago there was a discussion about 380 in a m9 berreta and it being mistakenly loaded in a berreta mag. today i managed to get to the range and try it out.

first test was just loading a single 380 it shor fine and to poa.

next i put 2 rounds in the mag chambered one and fired again shot great to poa and cycled just enough to cock the hammer but not eject the cartridge.

then chambered a 9mm with the next round a 380. fired, cycled 380 loaded and fired to poa.

ended up firing 15 380acp all fired and hit to poa none cycled the slide enough to eject. no cases were split or showed any deformity.

one round failed to ignite. most likely it wasnt being held tight enough by the extractor. reloaded it and it fired fine.

so in a pinch you can use 380acp in a m9 but it will be single shot and manually cycled and it may not fire if the extractor doesnt hold it tight to the slide face

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 533 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 211

So would that only apply to the M9 or theoretically would that apply to most/all 9mm?

Obviously I am not going to try because my fingers/hands are needed to fly a plane.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 06-24-2014, 02:59 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
So would that only apply to the M9 or theoretically would that apply to most/all 9mm?

Obviously I am not going to try because my fingers/hands are needed to fly a plane.
all.

its the same thing as using a 38spl in a 357mag. just with an auto loader your relying on the extractor to hold the cartridge in place.

a 380 uses .357diameter bullets same as a 9mm case dimensions are identical except for length as the 380 is a bit shorter which is why it has difficulty staying against the bolt face. its also got quite a bit less powder so less pressure less velocity which is why it wouldnt cycle.

i used a m9 because of feed reliability. the damn things feed anything and they are tough as hell just in case.

anyway its pretty useless by and large. although i may at some point try and find a m9 barrel i can have reamed to 380 and with a lighter recoil spring having a full size 20+1 380 for plinking would be cool.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 AM   #4
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2776 Times on 1909 Posts
Likes Given: 560

Default .380acp M9 berreta

Bersa Thunder + and Thunder Combat+ are 15 rds. And there is a beretta large Cap 380 and 32...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-24-2014, 03:30 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2589 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

The base diameter of the .380 is a bit smaller than the 9 X 19. A hot loaded .380 "might" split. Most .380's are loaded to low enough pressures to not cause any problems in this scenario (other than the obvious cycling issues)

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-24-2014, 04:01 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Bersa Thunder + and Thunder Combat+ are 15 rds. And there is a beretta large Cap 380 and 32...

I've got the thunder plus and its a sweet littlegun. Call me weird but I would like a fullsize handgun like a m9 in 380.

I could download a 9mm using 380 charge weights but its kind of a half measure and easy to confuse with regular loads. But this was just an experiment to see how accurate and if it would cycle brought about by a reply in a 9mm thread about 380 out of a 9mm by accident being disastrous and causing a kaboom.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-24-2014, 04:50 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

I understand your desire to have an M9 chambered for 380 acp. One would think there is a European full size 380 for the same money as an M9 since many European countries issue 380 acp to the police.

J&G has a project pistol that would fit the bill. They have a 92fs with a ringed barrel for $329. You can get a barrel for $100 from numrich.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2776 Times on 1909 Posts
Likes Given: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I've got the thunder plus and its a sweet littlegun. Call me weird but I would like a fullsize handgun like a m9 in 380.

I could download a 9mm using 380 charge weights but its kind of a half measure and easy to confuse with regular loads. But this was just an experiment to see how accurate and if it would cycle brought about by a reply in a 9mm thread about 380 out of a 9mm by accident being disastrous and causing a kaboom.

I'm hoping to get one one of these Years. I had a Beretta M84, another divorce casualty...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 128 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Almost ashamed to admit this

But I have accidently shot .380 in my 9mm Glock. Had my Bersa Thunder and Glock 19 together along with two boxes of similar ammo. Well, I accidently loaded the Glock with the .380

Rack the slide. Point shoot. But did not eject. So Rack the slide, next round. Bang. So it will shoot, just doesn't like to cycle.

As to the Bersa's, the Bersa Thunder 380 = especially the high cap PLUS at 15+1 is pretty sweet. Has a nice heft. I have the regular Bersa Thunder 380 (7+1) but use the mags form the DLX model (9+1). Glove box gun...

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain