Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Heckler & Koch Forum > why is the h&k forum so dead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default why is the h&k forum so dead?

Dear all,

Compared to the other forums, this one seems to be very dead. Why? Is there less to talk about? Besides my p30, i also have a Glock, and that forum constantly has a lot of interesting posts about glocks..

Is there less to talk about in the h&k world?

Best to all of my fellow h&k owners
Mo

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #2

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

H&K is a shadow of its former self in the US unfortunataly as you can probably tell not just from this forum but from people who talk about the H&K's they own and/or use. New Detonics. Wildey. Dan Wesson. H&K?

Old 03-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #3

Liked 395 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 80

HK's are expensive, so thus fewer owners.

I love HK's myself, but can't justify the cost and regardless of ownership what is there to discuss about the USP or the HK 45 that hasn't already been said?

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

2manyhobbies Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 05:06 PM   #4

Liked 43 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 105

and add Glock an inferior gun gets all the press, I mean every time you hear the words ND and Cop you see a Glock ;-)

and just like in Sears, you have
1911.. good
Glock... better
HK... Best!!!

Unfortunately almost every one wants cheap and reliability is sort of a secondary issue so they go and buy a Taurus, CZ, or something like that....

Am I a HK snob??? nope I have Taurus, CZ, S&W, and a few others., I just recognize quality and reliability when I use it...

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 03-29-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I am on the other forums talking about my USP. Keeps me busy. Not sure what to put on the HK forum, since we all know their guns are badass. Need to spread the gospel to the others.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Liked 395 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
Am I a HK snob??? nope I have Taurus, CZ, S&W, and a few others., I just recognize quality and reliability when I use it...
Never known a CZ to have reliability issues.

I think this is an ongoing failing with HK though. Great brand and I consider HK and SIG to be the premium brands for handguns, but for less money you have the Magnum Research Jericho/Baby Eagle series which are every bit as reliable and possibly just as accurate.

Or you have Rugers which may be even more reliable and probably accurate enough for 90% of most shooters for just over a third of the cost.

SIG at least offered the SIGPro (and now 2022) series which are lower cost but still excellent pistols. HK needs something similar.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Old 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikimo View Post
Dear all,

Compared to the other forums, this one seems to be very dead. Why? Is there less to talk about? Besides my p30, i also have a Glock, and that forum constantly has a lot of interesting posts about glocks..

Is there less to talk about in the h&k world?

Best to all of my fellow h&k owners
Mo
I put this also in HK forum.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:00 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just watched the video. Excellent video.. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 955 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 395

There are a number of reasons why HK firearms are not popular anymore.

1. Price - Even way back when HK started importing firearms into the US, their prices were always a pretty penny and there was nothing so spectacular about any of their products that warranted the prices.

2. Availability - HK parts and firearms are not easy to come by. I have owned just 3 HK firearms in my life (1st - HK-91, 2nd - HK USP 45, 3rd - HK P9S 45). All of those firearms were extremely expensive in comparison to competitive products and none of them were particularly special, apart from the P9S.

3. Attitude - There is the perception that HK does not want to have civilians purchase their products. I'm not sure where people get this, as the few times I called customer support for spare parts the reps were very courteous and helpful but that seems to be what a lot of people think.

HK doesn't make roller lockers anymore, apart from the MP-5, which is LEO/MIL only. That was HK's claim to fame and for people who thought the roller lockers were pretty neat, the parts supply is all but gone (apart from domestically produced copies).

How can you have an enthusiastic customer base for firearms that you can't get spare parts, magazines, or accessories for? For most civilians, the HK guns are curiosities, even though HK makes tough, functional products.

Let's look at an example of a case in point:

MR556A1 - HK produced a 9 pound AR with no chrome lined barrel, a special tool required to disassemble, special operating parts that you can only get from HK, a butt pad that can unlock if you rotate the gun on your shoulder, and enough metal on the front of the gun that it feels like it's gonna tip over your support hand. It costs 3X or more than a Colt AR-15 and you'll only benefit from the piston system if you have a habit of dragging your gun through the mud or firing it under water. Seriously, what's not to like about that?

Is the MR556A1 a quality weapon? Sure, but most of the features that the majority of shooters would expect from an AR aren't present with the HK variant.

HK markets their products using exclusivity tactics and prices that exclude a lot of potential customers. Well, when it comes down to it when you start excluding potential customers you start shrinking the enthusiast base.

For the 3K+ that a HK-91 costs, which you can no longer buy from HK, you can purchase a superb civilian M14 copy that shoots more accurately, is easier to purchase replacement parts for, and is just as durable as a HK rifle.

I really enjoyed my HK products while I had them and thought the world of them, but I'll probably never buy another.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 AM   #10

Liked 43 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
Never known a CZ to have reliability issues.

I think this is an ongoing failing with HK though. Great brand and I consider HK and SIG to be the premium brands for handguns, but for less money you have the Magnum Research Jericho/Baby Eagle series which are every bit as reliable and possibly just as accurate.

Or you have Rugers which may be even more reliable and probably accurate enough for 90% of most shooters for just over a third of the cost.

SIG at least offered the SIGPro (and now 2022) series which are lower cost but still excellent pistols. HK needs something similar.
Have a CZ 100 a genuine POJ, poor corrosion resistance, poor accuracy, not a gun to rely on...