Usp da trigger

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Heckler & Koch Forum > Usp da trigger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

Default Usp da trigger

My only complaint with hk handguns is the da trigger pull in da/sa variants. All da/sa guns have a heavy da pull but my hk feels like 15 pounds. Is there a way to lighten that pull or gunsmith that can do so? I never really see anything on hk trigger jobs. I know it's kind of a safety feature with the heavy first da pull then subsequent sa trigger pulls, but hk just went too far with that da trigger. I love sig and hk for this trigger option but sig has a better da trigger IMO. If my usp's da pull was similar to their dao pull it would be perfect.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

Liked 78 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Default I don't use the DA function much.

To answer the question you ask first; No. I know of no gunsmith who does such things. Wolfe's website (gunsprings.com) lists 'reduced' hammer springs, but I've never tried them.

But I've worked with the same problem - and I sympathize. Here's my solution.

I have both USP and USPc pistols, and both are Variant One; DA/SA with condition three over-ride.

The DA function is - in my mind - a very close range, 'panic' mode of operation. Depending on my environment and circumstances, I simply keep the pistol in condition three and ignore the DA first shot function.

If one feels the DA first shot mode is really needful, then practice close, quick shots in that mode. Fire one shot, decock and repeat. Once the 'first shot' problem is overcome, then learn to fire two shot bursts, changing from DA to SA. (That's the real problem I have.)

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 11-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I love my USP! Still, practice makes perfect with DA. It saved my life! My P226 does have a lighter pull in DA like you said though.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

The answer is yes but finding a gunsmith w the skill base to do it is going to be very, very difficult.

My full size is not that bad but my USPc is heavier. A fellow FTF member who has all the high end H&K's told me he has a German gunsmith in his state and he polished the original triggers. He actually likes the original polished triggers better than the Match Grade Trigger.

I also view it as an additional safety and would only use DA in an emergency situation. (I practice dry firing - pull trigger 2.3rd the way back and slowly the last bit until you get a clean release. Front sight should not move = clean release.)

HK makes a compeition DA only trigger that can be adjusted to 5.5 lb pull. If within specs, the SA trigger on a Variant one s/b a 5 lb so this may be the solution for you. I highly advise you to send it back to the factory for this service.

If you need additional information: Call HK - ask to speak to Travis, he is the tech who invented/created the trigger.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 11-24-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #5

Liked 112 Times on 84 Posts

I thought about dao or lem triggers for my uspc but I actually like the da/sa variants as this is different than my other guns. I just wish the da was a little lighter pull. It really does feel like a staple gun. In a stressful situation I'm sure I wouldn't notice and most defense shootings occur at short distances anyways. So hk does do trigger work services? Probably expensive but I'm willing to have it done as I love my hk and I think it would be worth it.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Snap caps are your friend, practice, practice and oh yea more practice....

after a while you will never notice the first round is DA but you will be pulling the trigger to the second stage real fast for one real accurate shot...

But as an old SA revolver guy I can also cock the hammer on draw with very little effort.

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 11-27-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
jyo

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Heavy DA

Yeah, the DA on USPs is heavy, but the gun is usually shot SA 99.99% of the time---DA is for carrying the pistol safely with a round in the chamber...

Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 251 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 110

You can carry locked n cocked, which gets around the issue. For me, I kinda like the hard - military like trigger for home defense. You have to want to pull it.

If you can't hang w it as is - send it back to HK for a LEM conversion specify what you want. Several police agencies have 8-10lb triggers to protect "everyone" .

Snap caps are an easy way to "wear-in" and get used to, your triggers unique pull.

Remember the old Walther PP, PPK or CZ50 ? Same issue and people simply adapted.

Have you ever watched doubles in skeet ? Done right, the recoil from the first shot sets you up to take the second. Doesn't always work out that way but I was wondering if you could work that out w a trigger drill ?

Anyone tried it ?

Old 09-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #9

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyo View Post
Yeah, the DA on USPs is heavy, but the gun is usually shot SA 99.99% of the time---DA is for carrying the pistol safely with a round in the chamber...
huge +1 and I do have the draw and cock down to the point that it is reflexive and as compared to other DA only semi autos not as bad as majority by far...
If I require NO 1 to be a supper accurate shot, (don't laugh but I practice the Mozambique at 120 yards yes that is yards and not feet) with the USP then the web of my hand cocks the hammer prior to draw (remember booger finger off the bang switch) for a shot that at range is spot on.

If however it is at a more reasonable range say 50' or less and will be a two from the hip then the last one the first will be DA with the rest SA and basically you simply do not notice the longer trigger pull in this scenario.

You will react as you practice