Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Heckler & Koch Forum > The Pinnacle of Polymer Pistols: The HK45 Review with HD Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3703 Times on 2278 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamivice

You clearly need more practice if 10 rounds of .45 ACP isn't enough for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava

So, are you saying nobody needs more than 10 rounds?
Oh my God here we go again.

Always have clean socks.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #12

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Not trying to start a debate, just pointing out that the desire for more than 10 rounds is not unreasonable, regardless of caliber.

I do have an issue with the HK 45 being called the "Pinnacle of Polymer Handguns"

First issue, very low actual ownership. Most claims about the handgun are 3rd hand hearsay AT BEST. Depends on how credible you find HK marketing, which themselves are trying to sell their products.

Second issue, tied to the first I have no idea how durable these weapons are because I know ZERO HK 45 owners and relatively few HK owners in general. Very few owners are willing to torture test their guns because of the high cost.

Third issue, the supposed torture tests are run by HK which is not an unbiased source.

Fourth issue, while the pistol looks intriguing enough it does have an oddball magazine release that assumes users will have a certain hand-size. Hands aren't that big? Too bad! So while they improved the ergonomics of the grip versus the USP they still insist on doing a magazine release their way because...I don't know. Because they're HK so shut up?

Fifth issue, on top of the cost of the pistol, you're going to shell out a fortune on magazines and accessories. Hope it was worth it!

BTW - If anyone has links to independent endurance testing run by third parties I would welcome it. I generally have had a favorable view of HK products but in the last few months I have been rightly challenged on the fact that most of my favorable information comes from HK themselves. The choir of fanboys counts not a bit.

Now I looked long and hard at an HK 45 last year and it was on my short-list. In the end I couldn't justify the price and went with a Magnum Research Baby Eagle in .45 ACP and haven't regretted the decision. Despite all the issues with getting spare magazines and holsters, it's still less esoteric than the HK 45 or HK USP which I considered. Possibly about the same pain level as owning a FNX 45, but I suspect it will get better support as time goes on.

If I were to compare polymer versus polymer, which disqualifies my choice since it is steel frame, I'm not convinced the price is justified despite the fact I believe (but cannot quantify) the HK 45 is more accurate than say a Glock 21. There might be enough trade-offs between the two designs, since the Glock 21 is better on some features but worse on others, that overall there is no distinct advantage. Also, I can actually talk to a Glock 21 owner and get their direct impressions while everything I know on the HK 45 I've read on the Internet.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

2manyhobbies Likes This 
Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3846 Times on 2302 Posts
Likes Given: 3232

"The choir of fanboys counts not a bit." Please explain this statement.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6544 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Oh my God here we go again.
KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Wait a minute...I want to know what is meant by "The choir of fanboys counts not a bit."

Old 08-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
"The choir of fanboys counts not a bit." Please explain this statement.
Sure. HK has built up a loyal legion that will sing their praises despite having no practical experience with their products.

Most of these are people whose entire experience with HK is from their own marketing and videogames. Name a major videogame in a modern setting in the last 10 years that hasn't featured an HK product or at least has an identical weapon that maybe has its name changed to avoid licensing issues. IF you can find such a game chances are good I can come up with a LONG list that not only has HK products but they also feature prominently. These same fans will defend HK to the death despite this utter lack of experience.

The opinion of those people means nothing.

I do plan on making my next rental a HK USP in .45 for so I can try one for myself. Right now my knowledge is all based on research, but I have had relatively few owners to bounce questions and observations off of. Even the Internet can be useful as it can expose patterns. The Glock fans and critics are present enough to provide recurring themes that can expose strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen with HK due to the aforementioned fanboys and the relative dearth of actual owners.

I know you actually own HK products, so it's not a dig at you specifically.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Fair enough. I stand down.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #18

It was a fair question. I'm well aware there are people out there that consider anyone with anything positive to say a "fan boy".

Also, I have nothing against the HK 45 specifically. I am just starting to question my own knowledge of HK products. How much is accurate, how much is marketing, and how much is hype?

Unfortunately, I cannot get any hands on time with the HK 45. The USP will have to do. I hope to try the USP and the 2000SK (If I have the designation right) within the next month or so.

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 08-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

HK45 is strictly a US product. It will not be found over here. The Bundeswehr uses the P8. It has been proven in combat zones like Somolia. My friend was in the Bundeswehr and carried a P8 during the conflict. He only had awesome things to say about this USP variant.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 AM   #20

Liked 104 Times on 77 Posts

I will own a hk45 one day. That is one awesome looking gun. One of my many dream guns. The problem with dream guns is that they cost a fortune and I always think wow I can get two really good guns or a different gun and plenty ammo and accessories instead. Another problem is I want both the fullsize and compact and can't choose between the two and can't afford both. I can tell you as a real hk owner that heckler and kock make great guns, but so does the other gun makers. U definitely pay for the name as well as the performance.