Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Heckler & Koch Forum > HK45 police trade in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts

Default HK45 police trade in

Hey guys, I have an HK45 (USP?)coming my way and wanted some opinions from people who own them. I'm getting it from a friend who is a LEO. The department is in the process of replacing weapons. He's going to buy his back and offered to get one for me. 9 years old with between 5 and 6000 rounds through it. It's gonna cost me around $400. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

Seemed like a good deal to me. What do you guys think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Should be fine. Not a bad price. I've seen other police trade-in USPs running around $500-599. So it sounds like a decent deal.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #3

My only concern is that I won't actually see the gun till it's mine. My buddy will get the pistol he's been carrying that the department issued him. The second one, I don't how that works. Not sure if he's gonna have a selection to look at and choose from or if they just randomly give him a gun? I've never really bought a used gun before. I have a Glock23 that was "used", but I bought it from a friend who only used to qualify once and it sat in the safe after that. So it only had about 300 rounds through it. So I'm a little apprehensive about that but, it seemed too good to pass up. Always room for another pistol in the safe.(And I don't have an HK yet.)

Old 12-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts

Can I get hell ya, hk is a brand that is good for a life time. I bought my 45c for just under$1100 and smiles when it came in. Fun to wear, shoot and hold! Great company!!!!

Tex

Old 12-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Well, teh good news is H&Ks are good solild guns that will run well for 100,000 or more rounds if properly maintained. Police departments get some significant support from H&K in training armorers and perfroming maintenance on duty guns. Most cops carry a lot more than they shoot. If it is indeed in need of maintenance when you get it, it will likely be mostly in need of springs which you should be able to get and replace.

I can't speak for H&K customer service currently for individual gun owners, but they used to be a bit slower in resonse to individuals that agencies, and police departments as far as helping out with problems.

I bought a Police Trade-in Glock that I took to the factory in Georgia, and they went throught the whole gun while I waited, and replaced all the srpings and internals for free. I don't know if H&K will offer the same level of support. But it wouldn't surprise me if they did. You could always call and ask what kind of support they would offer on a police trade in that you bought.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 95

The original USP design is one of the most tested platforms on the planet. Most frames wear out in 20K rds but the USP was designed for service use & abuse, it went 30K of p+ and was still ticking.

Police are a funny crowd, some only shoot just before qualifying so they don't embarass themselves too badly. Others, sign up for all the fee ammo they can get and shoot the hell out of the gun. Which are you going to get ? Who knows but genuine HK should be durable enough to outlast 2 owners. Especially with ammo availablity & prices these days.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1113 Times on 779 Posts
Likes Given: 159

6,000 rounds on a police trade in, good for that officer, nice to see he actually attended range training

Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #8

Thanks for all the responses. I'm feeling pretty good about this deal now. Still not crazy about buying it sight unseen but, sounds like I don't have much to worry about. At the very least it should be in good working order since an officer is still carrying it. (They're waiting for all the new guns to come in so they can swap the whole department out at once.)

@G30USMC - it's funny you mention that. I know a bunch of cops but only two that actually like to shoot. I belong to a Bullseye club that requires prospective members to qualify before being considered for membership. They said very few officers who apply are able to qualify (20 consecutive shots on a 20" target at 75').

Old 12-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1113 Times on 779 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac
@G30USMC - it's funny you mention that. I know a bunch of cops but only two that actually like to shoot. I belong to a Bullseye club that requires prospective members to qualify before being considered for membership. They said very few officers who apply are able to qualify (20 consecutive shots on a 20" target at 75').
I frequent the range very often, and try to get my coworkers to come with me, I have only a handful that come with me regularly

Old 12-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30USMC View Post

I frequent the range very often, and try to get my coworkers to come with me, I have only a handful that come with me regularly
You would think that since they carry for a living and may actually have to defend themselves that they would want to be as proficient as possible with their weapon. Some officers I've met don't even like guns and have very little knowledge about them.

Last edited by Budasac; 12-04-2013 at 11:06 AM.