Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Heckler & Koch Forum > HK dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 246 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
You'll def like HK. I'm been wanting a P30 since I held one at a gun show. I'd like to compare the HK45 to my USP .45 v1 as well.
It's been done for you on YouTube. My USP & USP C are older and do not have the rubber "o" ring. I've been told by HK Engineer that is does help incrementally. (accuracy wise)

I was told by gent who had HK match, Expert and he preferred the std trigger polished to the std HK Match Trigger or the new LEM trigger,which can be adjusted to approx 5.5lb. Some police forces were having them adjusted up to prevent AD/ND. IMHO - its a poor substitute for training and will have a detrimental affect on accuracy.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 03-30-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #42

Liked 632 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Interesting Gonzilla. I held an Expert .40 yesterday at the LGS. I thought it was a v.1, but when I went to decock nothing happening. I didn't want to force it so I handed it back. It had the jet funnel and the mag was a plastic extended mag. It was marked HK and had the right OEM markings. I've only ever seen metal mags.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I bought the base model - USP 45 for $522. (95-6) Since it was supposed to be modular, I thought it w be easy to upgrade as my budget would allow. (Like a Colt Govt.) Not true. The older barrels do not have a set place for the "o" ring for a tighter more consistent lock up.

Lesson Learned: Buy it the way you want it - Right out of the box.

According to HK: the USP & USP C have the same "size" dovetail but my gunsmith had Bo-cu issues installing genuine HK adj sight on the USP C. It's just too damn big for EDC so I turned it into a range gun.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #44

Liked 632 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Gonzilla, have you ever seen plastic mags?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #45

Liked 43 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I bought the base model - USP 45 for $522. (95-6) Since it was supposed to be modular, I thought it w be easy to upgrade as my budget would allow. (Like a Colt Govt.) Not true. The older barrels do not have a set place for the "o" ring for a tighter more consistent lock up.

Lesson Learned: Buy it the way you want it - Right out of the box.

According to HK: the USP & USP C have the same "size" dovetail but my gunsmith had Bo-cu issues installing genuine HK adj sight on the USP C. It's just too damn big for EDC so I turned it into a range gun.
Now thats strange the match grade O ring I got from http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/home.asp fit my 10 + year old USP full size just fine, and as in many handguns dove tail sights are not standardized by a long shot.

My son has a Taurus pt 1911 that he had to wait 3 years before he could get tri J cons for... So even a 1911 is not a 1911 when it comes to parts...

Old 04-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Dovetails - Standardization. This is HK not high point. Yeah, I expect quality to be job # ONE ! I'd be willing to bet the New HK45 and HK45C - will swop sights, mags etc.

W/O a set place to hold "o" ring, it will wander about because there is nothing to hold it in place.

I talked to one of HK's engineers - all the advancements help incrementally to increase accuracy.

Taurus: I hope your son enjoys his pistol but quality control has been an issue w them.

Plastic Mags: Not that I recall.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 04-09-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Dovetails - Standardization. This is HK not high point. Yeah, I expect quality to be job # ONE ! I'd be willing to bet the New HK45 and HK45C - will swop sights, mags etc.

W/O a set place to hold "o" ring, it will wander about because there is nothing to hold it in place.

I talked to one of HK's engineers - all the advancements help incrementally to increase accuracy.

Taurus: I hope your son enjoys his pistol but quality control has been an issue w them.

Plastic Mags: Not that I recall.
Not to refute them but the O ring fits in a grove in the barrel, very small special green thing.
Mine has not drifted, accuracy tightened up at the 100 yard mark something fierce. But I did nick it during a TD fortunately I have replacements.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
Not to refute them but the O ring fits in a grove in the barrel, very small special green thing.
Mine has not drifted, accuracy tightened up at the 100 yard mark something fierce. But I did nick it during a TD fortunately I have replacements.
This is very simple - the original design did NOT include a rubber "o" ring so the barrel does not have a "groove" or a "set place" for the ring to reside in. (& keep it in place)

If still confused, go to hkparts.net and select USP - take a look at the Std. USP barrel and then look at the Elite & Expert barrels & you will see a "groove" or "set place" for a green or black ring. ($4.95)

Interesting - the P30 does not have an "o" ring but the HK45 does.

Does this clear everything up ?

Old 04-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #49

Ah so your replacement does not have the grove cut in it as mine does.... are you sure it was ever designed for one in the first place, I mean HK is very through it's not something they would simply forget to do on a upgrade barrel...

Standard barrels for mine are not cut for it but the match grade threaded barrel does (yeah I bought a silencer), it did not however come with any of the O rings (extra) or the thread protector (extra), but I love it, supper accurate!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Mine is an original USP barrel - 1995-6. Looks like Std. USP replacement barrels still do not include the upgrade. Damn Shame.

2manyhobby - did you buy the Tactical USP or buy a USP and then add a threaded barrel ?

I am not a HK historian but there is a good thread w link to PR video by HK which does a good job IMHO by Jaegarmeister. To my understanding, first there was the MK 23 then the USP for civilian mkts - then the variants began. I prefer the hard core Tgt & competition models. The original Match model (3 matching serial numbers) is a fine example of what "can" be done. Later models were "not" the same.

There are some lucky people on FTF who have had all of the higher end variants. What I was trying to ascertain from the HK tech is which "improvements" were necessary to improve accuracy.