HK dilemma - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Heckler & Koch Forum >

HK dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post

Just got a email to clean it out. I'll send you a PM in just a sec. Sorry bout the hassle.
It's no hassle at all. I appreciate the help!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #12

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome. Hopefully you can get what your looking for.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #13

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisko09 View Post
Yeah, I've been leaning more and more towards the hk. I just wish it we the compact model and not the full frame (can't imagine a full frame hk being fun to carry). But hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Byron brought up why not by new.. bc I can't find one new. Everywhere I've seen them in stock all they have is 45 ( don't want 45) and they are upwards of $950.
Actually it's no worse and is slightly better than the 1911... I have been CC for over 10 years with my HK USP .45 full sized strong side pancake, never been outed and it is as natural as walking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Why 9mm ? Is this is range pistol ? USP is older model, P30 is the newer model. I prefer DA/SA w safety/decocker but they make a LEM trigger 5.5-8.5 lb. ( parts are on sale right now for $77 )

I like HK but at $750 you could also get a lot of other pistols. Are you open to other models ?
Now that is like asking someone after they have had cake if eating some crackers with sawdust fill is OK..

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 03-20-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 338 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 158

I used to compete in IPSC, it's a lot of fun and the combo of speed vs accuracy taught me many lessons. Numerous set-ups put tgts at different ranges to prevent people from utilizing "smoking guns" technique.

Lessons Learned: reloaders could find a load to meet power factor and POA=POI. This is important cause you must spend the range time to know where your chosen load hits at various ranges. 5 ft to 50 yds.

Buy the highest quality adj sights you can get and have them professionally installed. You can adjust POI for any load, any range, @ any time. HK makes pistols for this type of competition but they are expensive. (& worth it) I installed the Fiber Optic sight ($34.95) & HKs adj sight ($99). Even put them on my USP C. (I don't have anyone who can work on HK triggers local).

NOTE: I am Not talking about CC pistols designed for SD ranges.

I really like HK quality but bang for the buck - I'd look hard at SPR's 5.25 or SW MP equivalent. Both NIB s/b in your $750 strike zone. Dont forget $$$ for extra magazines.

FYI: I competed w Colt Combat Elite & Officers model just for fun. 1911 - Triggers, properly tuned - are hard to beat.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 03-20-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #15

Liked 63 Times on 52 Posts

I loved my USPc in 45. I am not a fan of my 1911 (ducks!).
However. My P7 is my favorite of all HK's.

Used HK's were $900 last fall around here. Yikes.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

This is a previous thread I wrote to someone else. I was explaining some things to a young man. Some of it addresses your question. HK is the better in my opinion. Sig kicks ass too. I recommend a 40 or 45 for USP. Having a 9mm USP is like having a 9mm 1911. Go for a Sig if you have to have a 9mm.

The post:
You you are looking for only single action gun, then a 1911 is your best bet. Guns can also be both double action and single action. This means the first shot the hammer is down. The next shots the hammer will automatically stay back and there is less of a trigger pull. Guns like Glock are only double action striker fire. You will get the same longer trigger pull each time. I recommend a DA and SA semi-auto. I recommend an HK USP .40 Caliber. You can get in full size (for the home) or compact (concealed carry). The gun is a polymer frame (like a glock), that has a decocker and safety. The spring makes the recoil of the gun very light. It has very good three dots sights. It is German engineered and made for the battle field. It will take any abuse you give it. It has 13 rounds magazines for full size, but you can buy extended mags. It is used around the world by military and police. I feel a gun with all these features (DA/SA, safety and decocker) is important because it offers various carrying options for various situations. It is one of the best handguns on the planet. Sig P226 is the best handgun on the planet, but costs a lot. The Seals use this gun. You can get the Sig P226 in .40 too. The Sig is a metal gun with no safety. This is a full size pistol though. Sig offers compact versions too, but once again it will cost money. I own both and will post a picture for you in a little bit. I have the pics on my IPAD.
image.jpg  

Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Why is the sig 226 better than the USP ? Sig 226 doesn't not come in 45 cal. I've shot the Sig 220 - great gun but I'd rather have HK.

I came from 1911 background - only HK can be carried cocked n locked safely - just like a 1911 or double action w safety on/off your choice. Want a DAO action - it can be done w LEM from 5.5-8.5 lb pull. trigger reset will be shortened as well.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Why is the sig 226 better than the USP ? Sig 226 doesn't not come in 45 cal. I've shot the Sig 220 - great gun but I'd rather have HK.

I came from 1911 background - only HK can be carried cocked n locked safely - just like a 1911 or double action w safety on/off your choice. Want a DAO action - it can be done w LEM from 5.5-8.5 lb pull. trigger reset will be shortened as well.
I suggested the Sig because he was looking for a 9mm. I am not going to hijack this post by comparing Sig and Hk, that is for another thread. Feel free to do that, I would love to hear opinions on the two powerhouses. I carry my USP and suggest it to others because of the various carry options for various situations. You can see that in my other posts. In fact, some of the Sig owners have called me on it. I use my sig for comp. It is an awesome and precise piece of artistic work!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #19

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post

I suggested the Sig because he was looking for a 9mm. I am not going to hijack this post by comparing Sig and Hk, that is for another thread. Feel free to do that, I would love to hear opinions on the two powerhouses. I carry my USP and suggest it to others because of the various carry options for various situations. You can see that in my other posts. In fact, some of the Sig owners have called me on it. I use my sig for comp. It is an awesome and precise piece of artistic work!
I'm not necessarily looking for 9.. that's just what the lgs has.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The OP is on the fence and seeking suggestions ergo - no hyjack necessary. Any honest opinion pro/con is welcome.

I am always curious why people modify or customize their guns and of course, did it help improve the action, accuracy, reliability etc.

HK - not a lot of aftermarket support. I Really wanted white outline, adj rear sights. HK - you take what you can get - flat black - and be thankful. . Only one co makes fiber optic sights for HK and they are set .250 or higher to be visible w suppressors. This is not a low profile set-up and you should know that going in.

I can try to get some pictures if you'd like ?

Last edited by Gonzilla; 03-20-2013 at 11:31 PM.