Difference between 45 Auto & 45 ACP

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Heckler & Koch Forum > Difference between 45 Auto & 45 ACP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Difference between 45 Auto & 45 ACP

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1398965204.888291.jpg
Whats the difference between 45 auto and 45 acp? I've researched this, and I've only found people saying they're the same thing. But then why would HK list both calibers on this chart?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

They're the exact same cartridge. .45 Auto is the same thing as .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol). Now .45 GAP is completely different.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

People Like This 
Old 05-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #3

Liked 1079 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 1091

Yes, they're the same thing and many of us use the terms interchangeably (even HK obviously does). 45 Auto and 45ACP (45 Automatic Colt Pistol)

As Argyle said 45GAP (45 Glock Automatic Pistol) is different and so is 45 Colt/45 Long Colt.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

People Like This 
Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2935 Times on 2040 Posts
Likes Given: 1470

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_see View Post
Attachment 143149
Whats the difference between 45 auto and 45 acp? I've researched this, and I've only found people saying they're the same thing. But then why would HK list both calibers on this chart?

They are synonymous. There is also the 45 Rim Auto, a specialty cartridge for revolvers only (you probably will never encounter it unless you look for it)

Old 05-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6171 Times on 3249 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yes, they're the same thing and many of us use the terms interchangeably (even HK obviously does). 45 Auto and 45ACP (45 Automatic Colt Pistol)

As Argyle said 45GAP (45 Glock Automatic Pistol) is different and so is 45 Colt/45 Long Colt.
No such thing as 45 long colt. Its just 45 colt. There is also 45 schofield which is a s&w round. Long colt is slang.

45 auto comes about from shortening the name of 45 automatic colt pistol used a lot as a sami/cip standard name.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 05-02-2014, 12:53 AM   #6

Liked 1079 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 1091

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
No such thing as 45 long colt. Its just 45 colt. There is also 45 schofield which is a s&w round. Long colt is slang.

45 auto comes about from shortening the name of 45 automatic colt pistol used a lot as a sami/cip standard name.
True, but the original term 45 Colt became confusing in the late 1800s when the US Army started issuing S&W revolvers that fired the .45 Schofield. The shorter .45 Schofield would fit and fire in the Colt SAA but the longer 45 Colt wouldn't fit in the new S&W so the term 45 Long Colt caught on and still is common today even though the .45 Schofield is as scarce as hen's teeth. I imagine the term "45 Long Colt" remained popular because of the shorter 45 ACP. Anyway, it shows there often are different names for the same cartridge.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

therukh Likes This 
Old 05-02-2014, 01:10 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 274 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I would go with the 45ACP over the 45A. Why? Because you get the A either way, so why not add the C and the P as well?

Seriously though, it's just varying terminology for the same caliber.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:21 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2858 Times on 1395 Posts
Likes Given: 1448

As they stated the 45 ACP and the 45 Auto are the same! I would guess what happened is one individual did a part of the listing and another individual did the other section. Or it could have been simply they did not remember what they had put in the other section. You will even find that happening here on the FTF on someones thread. They might address it in the Header of the Thread as the 45 ACP and then sometime in the Thread refer to it as the 45Auto! Simple error but not incorrect! *But both the same!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Got it. Thanks. What had me wondering is that it's a German company. I'm going to assume that an American does the website. Germans are the best proofreaders in the world. And they're big into consistency. I build websites for a living and my biggest client is German. It's amazing what he notices that everyone else misses.

Thanks to all of you for setting the record straight.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6171 Times on 3249 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Don't even start wondering about 9mm... that's way worse of a nomenclature mess

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent