Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Heckler & Koch Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f176/)
-   -   Difference between 45 Auto & 45 ACP (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f176/difference-between-45-auto-45-acp-106668/)

scott_see 05-01-2014 05:29 PM

Difference between 45 Auto & 45 ACP
 
1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 143149
Whats the difference between 45 auto and 45 acp? I've researched this, and I've only found people saying they're the same thing. But then why would HK list both calibers on this chart?


Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Argyle_Armoring 05-01-2014 05:38 PM

They're the exact same cartridge. .45 Auto is the same thing as .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol). Now .45 GAP is completely different.

Quentin 05-01-2014 06:07 PM

Yes, they're the same thing and many of us use the terms interchangeably (even HK obviously does). 45 Auto and 45ACP (45 Automatic Colt Pistol)

As Argyle said 45GAP (45 Glock Automatic Pistol) is different and so is 45 Colt/45 Long Colt.

Mercator 05-01-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_see (Post 1568674)
Attachment 143149
Whats the difference between 45 auto and 45 acp? I've researched this, and I've only found people saying they're the same thing. But then why would HK list both calibers on this chart?


Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

They are synonymous. There is also the 45 Rim Auto, a specialty cartridge for revolvers only (you probably will never encounter it unless you look for it)

JonM 05-01-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1568683)
Yes, they're the same thing and many of us use the terms interchangeably (even HK obviously does). 45 Auto and 45ACP (45 Automatic Colt Pistol)

As Argyle said 45GAP (45 Glock Automatic Pistol) is different and so is 45 Colt/45 Long Colt.

No such thing as 45 long colt. Its just 45 colt. There is also 45 schofield which is a s&w round. Long colt is slang.

45 auto comes about from shortening the name of 45 automatic colt pistol used a lot as a sami/cip standard name.

Quentin 05-01-2014 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1568728)
No such thing as 45 long colt. Its just 45 colt. There is also 45 schofield which is a s&w round. Long colt is slang.

45 auto comes about from shortening the name of 45 automatic colt pistol used a lot as a sami/cip standard name.

True, but the original term 45 Colt became confusing in the late 1800s when the US Army started issuing S&W revolvers that fired the .45 Schofield. The shorter .45 Schofield would fit and fire in the Colt SAA but the longer 45 Colt wouldn't fit in the new S&W so the term 45 Long Colt caught on and still is common today even though the .45 Schofield is as scarce as hen's teeth. I imagine the term "45 Long Colt" remained popular because of the shorter 45 ACP. Anyway, it shows there often are different names for the same cartridge.

sweeper22 05-02-2014 12:10 AM

I would go with the 45ACP over the 45A. Why? Because you get the A either way, so why not add the C and the P as well?

Seriously though, it's just varying terminology for the same caliber.

Sniper03 05-02-2014 12:21 AM

As they stated the 45 ACP and the 45 Auto are the same! I would guess what happened is one individual did a part of the listing and another individual did the other section. Or it could have been simply they did not remember what they had put in the other section. You will even find that happening here on the FTF on someones thread. They might address it in the Header of the Thread as the 45 ACP and then sometime in the Thread refer to it as the 45Auto! Simple error but not incorrect! *But both the same!

03

scott_see 05-02-2014 05:58 PM

Got it. Thanks. What had me wondering is that it's a German company. I'm going to assume that an American does the website. Germans are the best proofreaders in the world. And they're big into consistency. I build websites for a living and my biggest client is German. It's amazing what he notices that everyone else misses.

Thanks to all of you for setting the record straight.


Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

JonM 05-02-2014 06:16 PM

Don't even start wondering about 9mm... that's way worse of a nomenclature mess


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.