Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > What kind of Ruger is this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If the compensator is like your lower pic, it's an older Volquartzen V-Comp. About $60 retail.
$125 for the pistol? Grab it quick.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #12
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16862 Times on 9771 Posts
Likes Given: 43973

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
If the compensator is like your lower pic, it's an older Volquartzen V-Comp. About $60 retail.
that was my thought as well!

Old 12-26-2013, 04:14 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6117 Times on 3706 Posts
Likes Given: 6928

Buy it. Mark II's are great pistols. I don't believe the Mark II came with a threaded barrel. I think only the Mark III's did.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:52 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Cool, I'll post a pic once I get it. I'd only be so lucky, as it's probably not that - but hopefully will be able to identify it.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ok I picked up the gun. It's definitely a Mark II 22/45, from 2000. The compensator is user removable as well, it has a single hex bolt at the top that seems to be holding it in place. I have the original sights that go on this as well if the compensator is removed. I think the barrel is maybe 4", it doesn't seem long enough to be 5" anything - did they make a 4"? I know there are target, government, competition, etc. models - just curious how one could identify. I see this one says Target on the side, so does that denote anything special?

I looked online and funny enough the compensator on one of the Mk II's on wikipedia looked just like the one on this but in stainless. So it turns out this is definitely a Volquartsen V-Comp, seems like they still make these but at $58 a pop. Definitely cool, too bad it doesn't do more than just look cool though

So now the problem is ammo - where the heck does one buy .22 ammo? The local stores actually had plenty of .45 ACP, but no .22 to be seen anywhere.

Last edited by Shintsu; 12-28-2013 at 05:12 AM.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 692

Unfortunately, 22 ammo has taken the hardest hit in the "Great Ammo Scare of 2013". Keep an eye out for it at your LGS and Wal Mart. It will show up.

Very smart buy by the way.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 12-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #17
emo
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Ask the LGS if he has some 22, some around me do not keep them out, they keep it under the counter for regulars. Even the local Walmart has been keeping it under the counter rather than in the cabinet with other ammo. Hope you enjoy it, I love my 22/45, just a pleasure to shoot.

Real dogs drool!

Old 12-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #18
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16862 Times on 9771 Posts
Likes Given: 43973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shintsu View Post
Ok I picked up the gun. It's definitely a Mark II 22/45, from 2000. The compensator is user removable as well, it has a single hex bolt at the top that seems to be holding it in place. I have the original sights that go on this as well if the compensator is removed. I think the barrel is maybe 4", it doesn't seem long enough to be 5" anything - did they make a 4"? I know there are target, government, competition, etc. models - just curious how one could identify. I see this one says Target on the side, so does that denote anything special?

I looked online and funny enough the compensator on one of the Mk II's on wikipedia looked just like the one on this but in stainless. So it turns out this is definitely a Volquartsen V-Comp, seems like they still make these but at $58 a pop. Definitely cool, too bad it doesn't do more than just look cool though

So now the problem is ammo - where the heck does one buy .22 ammo? The local stores actually had plenty of .45 ACP, but no .22 to be seen anywhere.
i have seen that compensator for sale at MidwayUSA. i just don't see it being very effective for a 22 rimfire pistol. for my needs it would be a waste of money.

yep, 22 ammo is still scarce in some places. my WalMart usually gets ammo in early in the morning during the week. i just pick some up at the pawn shop or my LGS when i visit. no bulk packs available right now, so i just get whatever in available in the 100 packs.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Got it, thanks all. How much did a box of say 100 rounds go for before all this madness and how much is it generally going for now? I'd like to make sure I'm not grossly overpaying for it. I thought I did ok when I found 50 count 45 ACP 230 Grain Federal for $21 a box, and the next day stumbled upon a 100-count of whitebox Winchester 45 ACP 230 grain for $43 - they had the same Federal ammo but wanted $26 for each box so I passed on that. I've noticed prices for some of the lower calibers is just as high as the larger ones. I mean, I recall seeing a 50-count box of .25 Auto for $25 and that's more than my 45 ACP cost. Sure hope this ammo craziness settles down some more, I know it's better than it was but still...needed to load up on 45 ACP to break-in my new 1911, so I'm not trying to stockpile the ammo just get enough to run the gun through its paces.

Last edited by Shintsu; 12-29-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #20

Liked 1338 Times on 885 Posts
Likes Given: 654

Shintsu, it's a pristine Ruger for an amazing price. You can't go wrong there.
As to the compensator, etc., I don't know. It appears everything was done correctly, so you've no worries there.
Axxe knows more about that stuff, so I think you've got a keeper there.
I've bought two guns sight unseen. One is a Colt .380, the other is a Ruger M77.
Both times the seller said "I have a ----- I'll sell for $---.
Both times the price was so low, I just said "I'll take it". With a name like Ruger, Colt, S&W, you can't go wrong.

Disordered hyperuniformity is for chickens.