Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ruger Handgun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/)
-   -   What kind of Ruger is this? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/what-kind-ruger-101994/)

Shintsu 12-26-2013 01:45 AM

What kind of Ruger is this?
 
Hello all, trying to figure out what configuration this Ruger Mark II is that a relative is offering me. They only want $125 for it, and I know them so they take good care of their guns. I was wanting a stainless steel finish, but I can't argue at a price like that. What I know is the front of the manual said Ruger Mark II, 22/45 and then it listed like Competition, Target, and something else. The gun itself looked to have about a 5.5" barrel length like the standard bull barrel size, except it had I believe a compressor on the end. It may actually be shorter than this, but at its longest it might be that long.

Here's where I'm going to look dumb because I don't know gun terminology, but I'll do my best. It has what looks like something like this at the end, but I don't know if it comes off or not:
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armsl...rk_iii_640.jpg

This one I pictured looks longer than the one he has, it looks a bit shorter but has that same thing on the end. It's a slightly different style, but is otherwise similar in dimension and appearance. All the ones I see with the compressor on the end look longer than the one he is offering. I'd ask for more info but I got a good look and this is all I saw on it. It is blue finish like this with a similar style grip, no scope or anything of course, but has a grey rectangular Ruger box which it came in (No idea if that could help identify it better, I imagine it's the same for most).

Any idea which version this is? I can't see going wrong at that price, but I'd just like to know what it is exactly.

I think the compressor looks more like this style, so I'm not sure if it isn't something that's factory mounted or non-removable or what. It looks non-removable to me though.
http://picturearchive.gunauction.com...63eab258f2.jpg

Axxe55 12-26-2013 01:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
it looks like a fixed grip panel 22/45 with the 5.5" target barrel. it looks like maybe an aftermarket compensator has been added to the barrel. plus the red dot sight. they come with a factory scope base in the box.

it looks very well worth $125! i would definately buy it for that. i paid $270 for mine NIB about two years ago. here is mine with the removeable grip panels.

Shintsu 12-26-2013 01:57 AM

Thanks, like I said I just snagged that pic to help - it doesn't have a red dot or anything fancy on it I just had a hard time finding one that looked like it. It definitely has a compensator on the end, so there's no factory version that had this? Does this mean it had a threaded barrel, or was it added in some other way? What precisely does the compensator do on this gun anyway? I haven't really seen it on many pistols so it looked a bit odd to me at first.

I think it might be this size, with a compressor on the end
http://www.kingdomarms.com/store/ima...gerP4MKIII.jpg

Axxe55 12-26-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shintsu (Post 1467316)
Thanks, like I said I just snagged that pic to help - it doesn't have a red dot or anything fancy on it I just had a hard time finding one that looked like it. It definitely has a compensator on the end, so there's no factory version that had this? Does this mean it had a threaded barrel, or was it added in some other way? What precisely does the compensator do on this gun anyway? I haven't really seen it on many pistols so it looked a bit odd to me at first.

they did start offering a threaded barrel model i thing last year or the year before, but i don't think that one has the threaded barrel. it looks like one that is clamped on the end of the barrel.

the compensator helps control recoil by redirecting the spent gasses out of the barrel. for the most part, not really needed on a 22 rimfire. some people put them on them so it looks cool.

Shintsu 12-26-2013 02:08 AM

Gotcha, so are there any legality issues with compensators? Does its added length help accuracy in any way whatsoever, or is it purely aesthetic? One last one, what is really the advantage of the bull barrel? Honestly, I just think they look really cool but I'm sure there is actually a more technical reason why they're preferred over the smaller standard Ruger Mark barrel.

Axxe55 12-26-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shintsu (Post 1467324)
Gotcha, so are there any legality issues with compensators? Does its added length help accuracy in any way whatsoever, or is it purely aesthetic? One last one, what is really the advantage of the bull barrel? Honestly, I just think they look really cool but I'm sure there is actually a more technical reason why they're preferred over the smaller standard Ruger Mark barrel.

legality i am pretty sure there are none associated with it being on a pistol. none that i know of.

the extreme competition shooter might notice some benefit from it having a compensator, but the average shooter would probably not even be able to tell any difference in it's performance. more of a cosmetic add-on for most people.

the rifling of the barrel are whats key to it's accuracy. on a pistol, i don't think the larger barrel really makes that huge a difference in the accuracy of the pistol.

Shintsu 12-26-2013 02:15 AM

One last thing, this one really looks a lot like it with the grip and everything. To be honest, should I shoot this before I buy it? I have no concerns regarding reliability or otherwise, just don't really know if there's anything else I should check out before going ahead with it.
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/3834120...x652239709.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/3834120...x483074111.jpg

Axxe55 12-26-2013 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shintsu (Post 1467332)
One last thing, this one really looks a lot like it with the grip and everything. To be honest, should I shoot this before I buy it? I have no concerns regarding reliability or otherwise, just don't really know if there's anything else I should check out before going ahead with it.
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/3834120...x652239709.jpg

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/3834120...x483074111.jpg

dang! that gun doesn't even look like it's been shot!

it wouldn't hurt to try it out if possible, but i seriously doubt there are going to be any issues with it. IMO, the price asked is pretty good too.

Shintsu 12-26-2013 02:25 AM

Thanks, I'll probably just go for it. I'm sure if there are any issues he'll be easy to deal with, he's very cool. I kinda wanted the Mark II - though in stainless steel with the longer barrel. But hey, can't complain for the price. Now to find affordable .22 ammo to shoot with, ha!

Axxe55 12-26-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shintsu (Post 1467341)
Thanks, I'll probably just go for it. I'm sure if there are any issues he'll be easy to deal with, he's very cool. I kinda wanted the Mark II - though in stainless steel with the longer barrel. But hey, can't complain for the price. Now to find affordable .22 ammo to shoot with, ha!

the full metal Ruger Mk II and III pistols are priced a little higher and that was what i wanted too. but i am very happy with mine and happy with the price i paid as well. i am happy enough that the ony way i would sell mine is to replace it with another one.

even if there is an issue, Ruger will warranty it, so buy it with confidence and enjoy the pistol.

BTW, those are pretty danged accurate pistols too.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.