Thoughts on Ruger P89 9mm?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Thoughts on Ruger P89 9mm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Default Thoughts on Ruger P89 9mm?

I have a chance to pick one up via trade (around $300 in value) and I was curious on people's opinions. It would be my first semi auto pistol, and I want to use it for target/home defense and possibly cc.
Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 AM   #2

Liked 743 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Sounds good to me. They are very reliable, built like a tank. I have a P90/.45, And a p95/9mm. Wouldnt part with either one, they have both proven theirselves 100% reliable.

imagejpeg_2-1-.jpg  

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 08-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Great guns in my experience.

My two issues with that model are:

Too many bells and whistles, especially for carry. I simply do not like the de-cock feature on a carry gun.

Kind of a bit of a pain to strip down for bathing of the piece.

Those are really my only two issues with them. The ones i have shot went bang every time i squeezed the trigger and there was a hole in the target out to 30 yds after every squeeze.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

Liked 518 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

I've owned a P89 for almost 20 years now. It has never failed to fire, goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. For about 10 of those years it was actually with my brother-in-law and he carried it as a rural truck gun. He also never had any problems with it and abused the hell out of it. When I got it back last year I test fired it again and it still runs flawlessly.

I won't claim it will ever outshoot a Beretta or HK, but for $300 it's a great handgun. You can bet your life on it.

As much as I love it though, I do feel compelled to point out you can buy a brand new Ruger P95, which is just a more modern version of the P89, for about $350.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

headhunter Likes This 
Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 7

P-89's are just a bit heavy, but I still own 3 of them. I always figured that if the mag goes empty and the bad guy is still there, I'll be able to throw something with substancial weight and possibly take him out.

They are nice guns and built to last.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have its predecessor a P 85, both use the same magazine. It is a really good gun. It is reliable, accurate, and you get to choose single or double action. On the down side it is large, heavy, the trigger must travel forever before and the 'reach' is a little far for my smaller sized hands.
If you are looking for a home defense gun, a range gun, or a gun to carry while afield, go with it There are some Hogue grips that work well in getting your fingers back in the same place time after time. There are still quite a few after market accessories like sights and holsters available.
If you're looking for something to carry concealed, something slimmer and lighter might work a little better.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:45 AM   #7

Liked 518 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimKS View Post
P-89's are just a bit heavy, but I still own 3 of them. I always figured that if the mag goes empty and the bad guy is still there, I'll be able to throw something with substancial weight and possibly take him out.

They are nice guns and built to last.
You can throw them but keep one to club the bad guys to death.

One of the few guns I own that is as deadly unloaded as loaded.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #8

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've had a P-89 for about 15 years now. Seldom shoot it any more but still love it.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #9

I've never owned a P-89 though I've owned a P-85 since 1990. It's the most reliable gun I've ever owned. I've put 10k+ rounds thru it without a single problem. It's fired every type of round from super premium to the cheapest reload around. It's not my favorite but it's my go to.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #10

Liked 160 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 42

We have one, put the Houge on it for about 17.00 and it looks much better. It's big for me to handle, hubby loves the hell out of it. Accurate, and eats up any ammo. Pretty big for EDC it my opinion but it has been flawless to us.