Thank God for Youtube - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum >

Thank God for Youtube


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
drvsafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,636
Liked 216 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Default

the videos on the ruger site are really good. some of the youtube videos are filmed so poorly they make it difficult to really understand the process. In truth if you follow...the...manual...word...for...word..literal ly...it explains it perfectly!
Still, its a PITA to break down but a blast to shoot...


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
__________________
SIG 1911 .45 ACP
SIG P229R 9mm
Beretta BU9 Nano 9mm
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
drvsafe is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:59 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,165
Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Went on a gun cleaning kick and decided to give my Ruger Mark III 22/45 a good cleaning. What a pain in the butt to get back together. Took two different Youtube videos and three attempts to get it back together right.

Good thing it is a super accurate pistol or it might not be worth the frustration.
Had 1 of those years ago... I parted with it after the same headache. Don't matter how good a shooter it is, if you need double jointed wrists to reassemble... It ain't worth it.
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:21 AM   #13
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,282
Liked 6836 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Had 1 of those years ago... I parted with it after the same headache. Don't matter how good a shooter it is, if you need double jointed wrists to reassemble... It ain't worth it.
took maybe 5 minutes for me to go through the procedure with winds. its realllly easy.

all you have to do is clear it. pull the trigger so hammer goes forward. pull out mainspring housing the pull out the bolt.

seperate upper from lower.

clean the gun.

to reassemble fit the upper to the lower. the hammer has to be cocked so there is room for the bolt to go in.

to cock the hammer point gun up pull trigger and hold it. shake it a bit and hammer will cock. slide bolt in.

to get the mainspring in you have to have the hammer in the fired position. pull trigger and hold it and at the same time point the gun down so the hammer falls into the fired position. now the mainspring can be inserted.

its really that simple. easier than putting together a 1911
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:28 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,165
Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
took maybe 5 minutes for me to go through the procedure with winds. its realllly easy.

all you have to do is clear it. pull the trigger so hammer goes forward. pull out mainspring housing the pull out the bolt.

seperate upper from lower.

clean the gun.

to reassemble fit the upper to the lower. the hammer has to be cocked so there is room for the bolt to go in.

to cock the hammer point gun up pull trigger and hold it. shake it a bit and hammer will cock. slide bolt in.

to get the mainspring in you have to have the hammer in the fired position. pull trigger and hold it and at the same time point the gun down so the hammer falls into the fired position. now the mainspring can be inserted.

its really that simple. easier than putting together a 1911
Not for me... I do my 1911's blindfolded but that whole hammer up for this hammer down for that was way too much of a pain for me.
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:42 AM   #15
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 19,282
Liked 6836 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Not for me... I do my 1911's blindfolded but that whole hammer up for this hammer down for that was way too much of a pain for me.
have to do the same thing with a 1911... heh. hammer has to be cocked to get it all together. got to line up barrel links and keep it from flopping around so it has to be in a specific alignment.

its just a procedure like any other gun
__________________
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #16
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 25,600
Liked 8943 Times on 5349 Posts
Likes Given: 11956

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
took maybe 5 minutes for me to go through the procedure with winds. its realllly easy.

all you have to do is clear it. pull the trigger so hammer goes forward. pull out mainspring housing the pull out the bolt.

seperate upper from lower.

clean the gun.

to reassemble fit the upper to the lower. the hammer has to be cocked so there is room for the bolt to go in.

to cock the hammer point gun up pull trigger and hold it. shake it a bit and hammer will cock. slide bolt in.

to get the mainspring in you have to have the hammer in the fired position. pull trigger and hold it and at the same time point the gun down so the hammer falls into the fired position. now the mainspring can be inserted.

its really that simple. easier than putting together a 1911
Really, if I can do it, anyone can do it. I wouldn't trade my Mark II for anything.
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
7point62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Decisive Terrain
Posts: 2,151
Liked 1519 Times on 764 Posts
Likes Given: 1164

Default

Most of the owner's manuals nowadays stop waay short of total take down instructions, I guess for liability reasons. I like to disassemble down to the smallest spring or removable component and have had to depend on youtube vids a number of times.
__________________
Hijo de mala leche
7point62 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Detroit,mi
Posts: 3,498
Liked 1389 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Default

After 2 or 3 tear downs, reassembly is great...

It's been two years since I last shot mine, wonder if I'll remember how to reassemble???
partdeux is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 6,165
Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
have to do the same thing with a 1911... heh. hammer has to be cocked to get it all together. got to line up barrel links and keep it from flopping around so it has to be in a specific alignment.

its just a procedure like any other gun
Yes but I can see the barrel link in the 1911 and it's hammer is expose... No guessing, wondering, or googling to figure it out.

Guess it really isn't any "harder" with the .22/45... I just appreciate guns that don't require the internet to figure out.

...and no... I don't read directions before assembling my kids toy either.

Tack
Tackleberry1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,565
Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Yes but I can see the barrel link in the 1911 and it's hammer is expose... No guessing, wondering, or googling to figure it out.

Guess it really isn't any "harder" with the .22/45... I just appreciate guns that don't require the internet to figure out.

...and no... I don't read directions before assembling my kids toy either.

Tack
the take-down on these guns is counter-intuitive. no getting around that
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Youtube Huntingtimeadventures Hunting Forum 0 09-16-2012 09:33 PM
youtube colmustard The Club House 3 09-04-2012 04:25 PM
...youtube........ LONGHAIR The Club House 4 02-13-2012 03:02 AM
Thank God For youtube doctherock The Club House 16 02-28-2011 06:00 PM
youtube hunter Joe The Club House 3 03-22-2010 03:22 AM



Newest Threads