Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > SR9C very stiff slide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default SR9C very stiff slide

I've had my SR9C for 3 or 4 months and have put about 500 rounds thru it and the slide is still very hard to operate. Does this get easier after more rounds are run thru it? Haven't had any failures of any kind. I've watched "Handguns" on TV and they just operate the slide with 2 fingers and it looks so easy. I've got to use the whole hand on there and it's still tough.
Thanks, John

John

DrFootball Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19579 Times on 11111 Posts
Likes Given: 49290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer View Post
I've had my SR9C for 3 or 4 months and have put about 500 rounds thru it and the slide is still very hard to operate. Does this get easier after more rounds are run thru it? Haven't had any failures of any kind. I've watched "Handguns" on TV and they just operate the slide with 2 fingers and it looks so easy. I've got to use the whole hand on there and it's still tough.
Thanks, John
John, quite possible it will get a little easier with more rounds through it, as most do. but i think the reason is because it's a compact pistol. most compacts utilize stiff recoil springs to counter the action of the slide over such a short distance when fired. usually the shorter the barrel and the slide, the stiffer the recoil spring. lot of it will also have to do with the weight of the slide. a lighter weight slide requires a stiffer spring usually as well.

IMO, it sounds normal. might get a gunsmith to check it out to make sure. or maybe compare it to another SR9C to see if it has about the same amount of spring resistance. pretty sure it's normal.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2707 Times on 1860 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Default Sr9c

I know your pain! my Full Sized SR9 was also very stiff the first 4-500 rounds. I'm now closing on 1K through her, and i will say that as long as it's fed factory ammo or "Factory" reloads she just chuggs along...3" groups or less at 25 yds. from the rest...2" single holes at 10 yds. on shoot n C targets...

Practice working your slide and changing Empty mags! Also do some extra cleaning & lube work on your slide. I use Frog Lube or CLP on the internals, but i also use remington oil, both the wipes and the spray can....get some extra on your slide rails and you will notiuce the difference! Worked for me on both my LC9 & the SR!!! Good Luck!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer View Post
I've watched "Handguns" on TV and they just operate the slide with 2 fingers and it looks so easy. I've got to use the whole hand on there and it's still tough.
Thanks, John
TV is the worse place to get your firearms knowledge.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #5

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It will lighten up. Had the same gun and noticed the same thing. What I did was sit around at night watching TV and I would rack the slide and dry fire over and over. I pretty much do this with all of my centerfire pistols. Helps with the break in process.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #6

Yes its very normal. Mine is still and it is reliable as can be. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about. I have probably the same amount of rounds thru it and it is still pretty stiff.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The slide on mine is still hard to manipulate and I have about 600 rounds thru mine.

Eric