Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > SR9C Sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default SR9C Sights

Ok so I scrolled through a bunch of post or threads and couldn't find any sight info so here is my question for all the knowledgable people on here.
I just bought a SR9C and again new guy so how do I know if I'm just a crap shot or if I need to adjust the sights? I wouldn't know how to adjust them
properly anyway but I also read the manual and it says raise the rear to raise the point of impact, now most of my shots were below center and to hit
the center it seemed I had to aim quite high. Could this all be because I'm a bad shot. Cause I'm only 5'4" oh and also a good distance? The place I
go to is kinda bad for distance accuracy. There are faded lines on the side and if your not on an end lane it is not to easy to line it up. I will guess I
was about 25 feet? Thanks everyone

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1997 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie357 View Post
Ok so I scrolled through a bunch of post or threads and couldn't find any sight info so here is my question for all the knowledgable people on here.
I just bought a SR9C and again new guy so how do I know if I'm just a crap shot or if I need to adjust the sights? I wouldn't know how to adjust them
properly anyway but I also read the manual and it says raise the rear to raise the point of impact, now most of my shots were below center and to hit
the center it seemed I had to aim quite high. Could this all be because I'm a bad shot. Cause I'm only 5'4" oh and also a good distance? The place I
go to is kinda bad for distance accuracy. There are faded lines on the side and if your not on an end lane it is not to easy to line it up. I will guess I
was about 25 feet? Thanks everyone
Some more information would be helpful. What is your previous experience shooting handguns? Any previous training?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 05-03-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Ditto on scotts comment.

Ill assume for the moment you know what your sight picture is supposed to look like. I would suggest looking at your grip (how you grip the handgun) and the placement of your trigger finger. The center of the trigger should be making contact with the center of the pad on the end of your index finger not the first knuckle. Ive seen many shooters clear their issues just with that but its usually for a left/right fix.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Cattledog; 05-03-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Before you go moving the sights on a new gun you should shoot it from a solid rest to sight it in. You should do this every time you change anything.

Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt, SR40, SR9c, 22/45, 10-22, 77MKII, PT 1911

Cattledog Likes This 
Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I had a Taurus 380, It was the TCP 738 and I put 100 rounds thru it. That was my first handgun. I did disassemble my 380 and clean it and put it back together. My cousin trained me with his LCP and Sig, 380 and 9mm. Not with a class just about gun safety and how to handle it, load unload, etc. He has been ? not sure the words to use but around and using handguns for a very long time. Never took a gun apart or anything like that with him. My CPL class I used the instructors Glock. Sorry I'm trying to think of EVERYTHING I have ever done with a firearm. I'm sure this is all, again I'm new

Old 05-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1711 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 545

It is common for a new shooter to anticipate the shot and push the muzzle down causing a low shot. Have someone watch the muzzle to see that you are not pushing it down. From a safe position of course.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-04-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1997 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 716

I'm 99.9% sure it's you and not the gun. No offense, I assume that with myself as well.

There are all kinds of things we can do in our grip, sighting, trigger pull, etc, that will mess up shot placement. If you can, find a class with some range time. It will likely solve your problems.

YouTube can be your friend as well. Do a search on how to shoot pistol well, and see what kind of results you get. Here again, taking a class before hand will help you sift through the good stuff and what is crap.

Another thing that helps is have someone load a dummy round in your magazine, then you shoot through the magazine. The dummy round will surprise you, and you will immediately see if you are doing anything wrong. Flinches, pushes, pulls, breaks become very noticeable.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 05-04-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh no offense at all I'm trying to learn as much as I can and we (wife & I) want to take a class but we need ammo lol I got 100 rounds with the gun and its gone. My issue now is I don't want to pay someone 50-60 cents a round. I really got hooked and in Nov when I took my class before all the stuff happened I started looking into the SR9C. I finally got it and I just want to shoot it only I can't find ammo. I waited in line yesterday morn and just my luck two more people in front of me and they announce they are out of 9mm.