SR9 issue - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum >

SR9 issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #21
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Well took it out again last time( about 10 days ago) and it did the first 2 Full mags of Ball ammo. Fine(34 rds.) loaded the next mag rotating Ball 3 rds, and a +p HP on the 4th rd,. Made it 15 of 17 rds. #16 "stove piped." Cleared the Jam and loaded next Magazine with 10 Ball-2Hps and the last 5 Ball, with no malfunctions..Hmmmm

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 04-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #22

Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Well took it out again last time( about 10 days ago) and it did the first 2 Full mags of Ball ammo. Fine(34 rds.) loaded the next mag rotating Ball 3 rds, and a +p HP on the 4th rd,. Made it 15 of 17 rds. #16 "stove piped." Cleared the Jam and loaded next Magazine with 10 Ball-2Hps and the last 5 Ball, with no malfunctions..Hmmmm

I would not want to use that gun for self defense. I got rid of my SR40 for the exact same issues you are talking about. I can't be wondering as I go for my gun whether or not it's gonna jam on me today. I'd hate the last words out of my mouth prior to meeting my maker to be "Hmmm"

Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #23

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

I am really sorry to hear that from you both. My SR9 has run like a clock since day one and probably has a couple thousand rounds of varying quality through it now...

Old 04-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #24

Liked 1257 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 792

seems like there is an issue of some sort. could be a bad part.. . have you contacted ruger about it maybe have them take a detailed look and make sure nothins broken or riding in the wrong place.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #25

Liked 51 Times on 40 Posts

I too would be in the horn with Ruger. Surely it is something they can identify and remedy so you have a reliable toy eating batteries without hesitation!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #26

Default SR9 issue

well,..the plan was for me to Migrate from SA' and SA/DA to DAO. It was purchased 2 Years ago next week. The first Year & 9 months No Issues what so ever, except the first several mags I was jerking the trigger, so shots were low & to the left. Once I got that worked out It HAD been Flawless. I have other Guns for HD/SD. it has been looked at by 2 different Smiths with no problems reported by them. It's had probably 2200 rounds through it. It is cleaned before and after every shoot session, and 1x per month it gets Broken down completely for full cleaning and Lubeing. Its not my Carry Gun. I carry the Smaller LC9 Daily, sometimes switching out to the S&W 439 or my Old Colt Cobra .38 Spl......

Funds are rather Tight right now(beginning of the Month, house and Car payments) but after the 16th i'll be taking it in to my Range/ Shop to have the Smith there look at it. since my Mossberg 702 is going in anyway to get the optic mounted and centered...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 04-03-2014 at 09:21 PM.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #27

Liked 1257 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
well,..the plan was for me to Migrate from SA' and SA/DA to DAO. It was purchased 2 Years ago next week. The first Year & 9 months No Issues what so ever, except the first several mags I was jerking the trigger, so shots were low & to the left. Once I got that worked out It HAD been Flawless. I have other Guns for HD/SD. it has been looked at by 2 different Smiths with no problems reported by them. It's had probably 2200 rounds through it. It is cleaned before and after every shoot session, and 1x per month it gets Broken down completely for full cleaning and Lubeing. Its not my Carry Gun. I carry the Smaller LC9 Daily, sometimes switching out to the S&W 439 or my Old Colt Cobra .38 Spl......

Funds are rather Tight right now(beginning of the Month, house and Car payments) but after the 16th i'll be taking it in to my Range/ Shop to have the Smith there look at it. since my Mossberg 702 is going in anyway to get the optic mounted and centered...

2200 rounds of mixed ammo. You complained of mostly light strikes and FTFs. With a few random FTE,ftf... My bet is a spring or the end of the striker is worn or dirty. In a spot that may not be visable without 100% disassembly. My sr9c has about 1k of rounds no issues yet. Sorry yours is acting unpredictable.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:23 AM   #28

It HAD never given me any light Strikes until the Time Before Last, whenI had Three in one -100 round session. This Last Time two Stovepipes, No Light strikes. I do drills in My Backyard and In my House(Gun Empty of Course) all the time, with Both Rugers, and 2 of my 92's....
With both Rugers, I find the Heavier Bullets do Better(90 Gr. and above) some of the lighter ones don't "Always Function" correctly, the DRT 60Gr's For ex., won't work in the SR, but DO work in the LC9. Have ran several Of these different SD rounds through the 92's, the BHP, and Both MY S&W's...no issues. I also don't have any issues with 115Gr. or 124 Gr. loads...

Old 04-04-2014, 12:39 AM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Stove pipes can be caused for few reasons. Light charges or lightweight bullets, over charged rounds, weak sticky or gunked up extractor/ejector, faulty weight recoil spring.

In terms of a sr9 I would remove the firing pin and loaded chamber indicator and thoroughly degrease then reoil. Most likely the light strikes are from packing grease in the firing pin channel and a gunky loaded indicator may be retarding ejection enough to stove pipe.

What ammo are you using as remington and pmc are notorious for extremely and even dangerously light loads
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 AM   #30

Most recently Federal, but I have used Remington UMC and Winchester WB in the past. The last time out was PMC and Fiocchi