Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ruger Handgun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/)
-   -   Sr22 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/sr22-76379/)

thefourthD 11-14-2012 06:07 PM

Sr22

Has anyone had a problem with failure to feed?
I have over 1,000 rounds through this cool plinker but still have failure to feed issues. Often 5 out of 10 rounds. I'm not limp wristing it, tried many different brands, and its both mags.
I called Ruger and they said to send it in. Just wondering if anyone has had (or heard of anyone having) this issue.

drvsafe 11-14-2012 06:15 PM

My sister's got one, and though we don't see such a high ratio, however with American Eagle bulk ammo I'd say its about 10-15% failure to fire.

jjfuller1 11-14-2012 08:23 PM

has it been cleaned well? have you ran CCI mini mags? have you checked the magazines themselves? these three things are the main reasons for FTF. if youve already done these steps, or looked at these steps. go ahead and send it in. ruger has great CS. ours tends to FTF when dirty, and with blazer ammo..every other ammo was fine... except when dirty. it has problems.

BClayton357 11-14-2012 11:55 PM

Maybe one failure to fire in 500 or so rounds. No feed problems. Not using old ammo? It's a pretty small pistol. Easy to let your thumb drag on the slide. I caught myself doing that a time or two. At least you still have yours. My daughter talked me out of mine. Now I have to borrow it if I want to go plinking. Before sending it in try polishing the feed ramp. The fail to feed is a pretty common issue for the Walther 22 but the SR seems to be a lot more reliable.

thefourthD 11-15-2012 12:10 AM

Thanks everyone. I have done all that has been mentioned and my hands are too small to be near the slide. I just keep thinking I'm missing something. Keep the suggestions coming. If I can't figure it out by Monday it's going in to be looked at and I'll miss my plinker for a while.

danolator 11-16-2012 08:41 AM

My son's Walther was doing that the other day and I just thought it was a combination of bad ammo and that notoriously crappy spring in that gun. Then I shot it with no issues. So I watched him more closely and his support hand thumb was ever so slightly making contact with the rail. When he moved his digits out of the way, no issues. I experienced this early on with my SR22, but after some grip adjustments, no more issues.

headhunter 11-16-2012 06:12 PM

Frequently light weight semi auto handguns have problems because they don't have the inertia that a heavy handgun does. I shoot a Walther TPS which is tiny and if not held tightly is is "not reliable". If held tightly it is reliable. Your body must supply the mass (inertia) that your gun does not have. There must be resistance so that the springs are able to compress and your autoloader can function. Try a box with the gun held quite firmly.

thefourthD 11-16-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danolator (Post 1016391)
My son's Walther was doing that the other day and I just thought it was a combination of bad ammo and that notoriously crappy spring in that gun. Then I shot it with no issues. So I watched him more closely and his support hand thumb was ever so slightly making contact with the rail. When he moved his digits out of the way, no issues. I experienced this early on with my SR22, but after some grip adjustments, no more issues.

I held my SR22 just to see if there was any way this could be the case. No way possible my support hand is touching the rail. On my support hand my thumb is below my grip thumb.

BClayton357 11-17-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danolator

There just isn't much left but gun problems. I bought my SR22 because it was known for it's dependability. Danolator has the key here. Have someone else shoot it. With 1000 rds through the gun I would be surprised if this hasn't already been done. I would give odds on this being anything but a gun problem. Send it back and get it fixed. This is/should be a great little fun gun. Good luck!

BClayton357 11-17-2012 02:27 AM

And let us know how it turns out.