SR 9 fireing pin is weak ?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > SR 9 fireing pin is weak ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SR 9 fireing pin is weak ?

Is it possible that dry firing my sr9 caused the firing pin to weaken ? I have read that it's ok if the mag is in the gun . Had a couple duds out of 36 rounds today . picked up this ammo from local gun show . label on box reads Speer 9x19 . also I have installed Ghost Ultimate trigger bar and am looking at Galloway Precision for more up grades . planning to fire more rounds tomorrow and see what happens . just wondering what you guys think . Ruger sr9 9mm

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2013, 01:30 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Can't see what an unloaded mag dopes for dry firing. If the pin is not damaged from the dry firing (And I really have on idea if it is OK with that particular model) then it just sounds like you need to change the striker spring.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 72

For some reason Ruger states in the manual, a empty magazine needs to be inserted for dry firing. I'd clean out the striker channel if you haven't already.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
Ronald Reagan

Old 03-17-2013, 02:45 AM   #4

going to clean it tomorrow morning just hard to see how snapping the trigger a few times can ruin a spring . did seem to help with smoothness of trigger pull , gun is still fairly new .

Old 03-20-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 337 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky80 View Post
For some reason Ruger states in the manual, a empty magazine needs to be inserted for dry firing. I'd clean out the striker channel if you haven't already.
That's because the Ruger SR pistols have a magazine disconnect. Can't fire the gun with no mag.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:41 AM   #6

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybang
Is it possible that dry firing my sr9 caused the firing pin to weaken ? I have read that it's ok if the mag is in the gun . Had a couple duds out of 36 rounds today . picked up this ammo from local gun show . label on box reads Speer 9x19 . also I have installed Ghost Ultimate trigger bar and am looking at Galloway Precision for more up grades . planning to fire more rounds tomorrow and see what happens . just wondering what you guys think . Ruger sr9 9mm
If you do have light strikes or it sounds weak my ruger sr40c did and it did light strike. If it does light strike on you or your sure its getting slowed down remove the mag disconnect it will fix your problem. Then you can also fire the gun with no mag i recommend it I have owned the 9c as well.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #7

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

if you go to the Ruger website there is a video that shows how to take the striker pin out; i did mine and it was really super dirty, probably over-lubed at the factory. that may fix your problem

Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You can order a Heavy Striker Spring from Galloway Precision for the SR9/SR40.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
That's because the Ruger SR pistols have a magazine disconnect. Can't fire the gun with no mag.
Good point. I wasn't thinking about that.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so."
Ronald Reagan

Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The trigger can be pressed but the striker won't release. Should have thought about that, the SR is the only pistol I have that's got a mag disconnect. Sorry for the misinformation.

Ronald Reagan