Ruger Standard failure to feed ( With Pics )

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Ruger Standard failure to feed ( With Pics )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger Standard failure to feed ( With Pics )

Failure to feed issue that happens at least 1-2 times with a 9 round magazine. I load the 9 round mag and install the mag into the gun, pulling back on the bolt ears, let it snap back to load the first round. No problem. It fires, ejecting that round. It may fire 3-4 rounds before the problem happens. When it does, the gun will not fire. I look at the gun to see that the round only made it 3/4 of the way into the chamber. The bolt is not closed all the way to see the back half of the live round. I then (manually) eject the round, and also notice that when I do that, that there is considerably more pull to eject that round because the bullet was deformed "before" it went into the chamber. Being that the bullet was deformed before entering the chamber makes sense on why it did not go in all the way and why it took extra effort to extract it manually.

Looking at the first pic you can see the deformed bullet. In the second pic, you see the deformation with the round turned 180 deg. What would I look for that would cause this?

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc348/gmann44/002_zps83f8ff42.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc348/gmann44/001_zps21556ebc.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3059 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

I have a PPK/s in .22lr that has similar problems with standard velocity ammo.

You did not say what ammo you are using.

How does it do with high velocity ammo?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I have a PPK/s in .22lr that has similar problems with standard velocity ammo.

You did not say what ammo you are using.

How does it do with high velocity ammo?

Forgot to mention the ammo!! This was using Federal Champion (510), and CCI Blazer. Both rated @ 1240fps. Hot enough to cycle a semi auto. Have used these for years in this gun before this problem.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3059 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

My PPK/s does not digest the Federal Champion.

Do you have another magazine? The marks look like the bolt could be deforming the next bullet on recoil. It could be a result of the magazine lips losing their original form / shape.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #5

I have 3 mags. And the problem happens on all three. As for the bolt deforming the next round.....not so because that same round looks good while still in the magazine. I am quite sure that the bullet being deformed is not aligned properly as it enters the chamber, hitting the edge of it as it enters. At this point, I am puzzled as to what is causing this.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:32 AM   #6

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann View Post
I have 3 mags. And the problem happens on all three. As for the bolt deforming the next round.....not so because that same round looks good while still in the magazine. I am quite sure that the bullet being deformed is not aligned properly as it enters the chamber, hitting the edge of it as it enters. At this point, I am puzzled as to what is causing this.
That's often still a magazine problem. It isn't common, but it can happen, that people get magazine failures on multiple magazines. Still suggest you delve into this further.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 2864

It kind of looks like maybe the bolt was what shaved it, like the round was sticking up too high as the bolt rammed back forward. That's just what it looked like to me, and I am no authority on guns.

Ken

Old 08-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #8

Liked 743 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Call Ruger 603-865-2442. They will want it back, and will pay shipping. They will want to see whats going on, fix it, and send it back. Top 3 in customer service......

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 08-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3358 Times on 2272 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl
Call Ruger 603-865-2442. They will want it back, and will pay shipping. They will want to see whats going on, fix it, and send it back. Top 3 in customer service......
+1 on Ruger CS!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...