Ruger SR9c and Winchester white box
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Ruger SR9c and Winchester white box

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Ruger SR9c and Winchester white box

My SR9c has a habit of coming up with FTFs when I run Winchester white box 115 gr FMJ. Once in the past thee were 9 rounds with strikes on the primer that did not go off. Yesterday I had 12. I have not had this problem with any other ammo, either type of round or manufacturer, including hollow points. My shield has no problem with them either.

I bought them as they were the last box of 9 mm on the local Walmart shelves, due to the Obummer run on ammo.

Anyone else have a problem with these?

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Up till last Thursday i could say (& did) that i've run thousands of 9mm WWB (MANY in my SR9C) & never had a FTFire --
You guessed it-
I had my 1st & only
Don't know what to tell you except use the WWB for plinking only---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I usually shoot the Winchester white box in 124 grain. I have had zero issues with it in my SR9c.

-Carl-

"Music hath charm to soothe the savage beast...but I'd try a shotgun first."

Old 12-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1587 Times on 1084 Posts
Likes Given: 548

What is funny is in another forum (I forgot which one) they complained about UMC bulk ammo. They all said the same things about UMC bulk that people say about WWB in this forum.

The sad news is neither UMC bulk or Winchester bulk is actually made by the company label. They both buy bulk ammo from the best bidder and box it up. The only ammo Winchester actually makes is their high end ammo. The only reason they manufacture it is to protect their trade secrets. I would bet Remington does the same thing.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I only use the WWB for target, and can run it through the Shield. I have never seen the 124 gr, all we get is the 115.

Not a big deal as the gun runs fine on any other rounds I put through it. Just curious.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #6

Liked 144 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I have a a SR9C and I am Not a fan of Winchester White box. Used it for the first time on my last range visit. It went bang every time but I noticed an underpowered round, probably about once every twenty shots or so. Shot would go low and though the gun would cycle I could feel that it was different. I guess it's ok for plinking but for someone like me who is trying to improve my accuracy it undermines what I am trying to do. I wish I had not bought two 100 round boxes now because I used range ammo for the rest of that visit and still have 100 WWB left. Never had a problem with Remington. Someone bought me some Federal for Christmas, hopefully that is ok.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by davva360 View Post
Someone bought me some Federal for Christmas, hopefully that is ok.
I have fired a lot of Federal FMJ through the SR9c and it has been fine with all of them. Never a problem. Just the Winchesters. You should be fine with those rounds.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #8

My wife has a sr9c and we have never had a problem with wwb. she had a few issues with stovepiping and failures to feed in the beginning but I helped her adjust her grip and she hasn't had an issue since.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #9

Liked 2512 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 2411

Another reason I roll my own ammo. I trust me more than I trust some company who doesn't give a damn about me.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkronin5 View Post
My wife has a sr9c and we have never had a problem with wwb. she had a few issues with stovepiping and failures to feed in the beginning but I helped her adjust her grip and she hasn't had an issue since.
Thought that might be a possibility early on, but since it universally digests all other brands and types, have decided that probably is not the problem.

I had some stovepipes in the first 100 rounds, but attribute that to break in. None since. Sofe FTFs early too, but again break in as since it has only occurred with WWB.