Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ruger Handgun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/)
-   -   Ruger sr9 vs Glock 17 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/ruger-sr9-vs-glock-17-a-97989/)

Fireguy77 10-01-2013 02:14 AM

Ruger sr9 vs Glock 17

I am 50/50 on both of these guns! This will be my first handgun purchase. I know a few pros and cons about each of these, but I wanted to get everyone else's opinion since I know there are some pretty intelligent gun owners on this forum. Tell me what you think!

seibert1903 10-01-2013 02:17 AM

Have you held or fired either?

kryptar19 10-01-2013 02:18 AM

SR9 has a way better trigger. Ruger customer service is also better. Plus, you can shoot lead cast bullets out of the SR9.

mountainman13 10-01-2013 02:20 AM

On top of the first question, I'll add.
What is the intended purpose of the gun (range/ hone defense/carry)?
If for carry, do you intend to carry concealed?
Both are good guns, but without more info it is impossible to make an informed suggestion.
My personal preference between the two would be glock. But that has no bearing. Lol

Fireguy77 10-01-2013 02:26 AM

I have shot the glock 17 and liked it to a certain degree, they sure don't make them to fit into your hand very well haha. I would like this for home protection and outdoor activities( I fish/mountain bike/hike in an area very well know for bear and mountain lion). CC could be an option later down the road, but I live in California which is very strict, you must have a legitimate reason and apparently "personal protection" isn't a valid answer. Also, if there are any other suggestions that would be comparable to these weapons please share them!

Fireguy77 10-01-2013 02:28 AM

Also thanks for the quick responses, much appreciated!

kryptar19 10-01-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireguy77
I have shot the glock 17 and liked it to a certain degree, they sure don't make them to fit into your hand very well haha. I would like this for home protection and outdoor activities( I fish/mountain bike/hike in an area very well know for bear and mountain lion). CC could be an option later down the road, but I live in California which is very strict, you must have a legitimate reason and apparently "personal protection" isn't a valid answer. Also, if there are any other suggestions that would be comparable to these weapons please share them!

M&P 9mm from Smith&Wesson.

As reliable as a Glock
As accurate as a Sig
Completely ambidextrous
Good trigger when you get used to it
It shoots lead cast bullets
Fully supported chamber

...the list goes on

seibert1903 10-01-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19

M&P 9mm from Smith&Wesson.

As reliable as a Glock
As accurate as a Sig
Completely ambidextrous
Good trigger when you get used to it
It shoots lead cast bullets
Fully supported chamber

...the list goes on

Agreed, the M&P would be comparable to the other two and has an excellent reputation. If you're set on a DA trigger, I'd also suggest the Walther P99.

Fireguy77 10-01-2013 02:40 AM

I have looked at that one, I loved the feel but it's a little pricey. I'll have to look at it again to see if the price difference is worth it.

kryptar19 10-01-2013 02:44 AM

Plus, S&W has just about the best customer service there is.