Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Ruger MK II or III - replacement sights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default Ruger MK II or III - replacement sights

I ordered Rugers High Vis sights - new front base n fiber optic sight but I have not installed the rear sight blade yet. I read some of the reviews and people have had problems w the "dot the eye" rear sight blade - sighting in.

Does anyone here have any experience w it ?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sight_improvements.htm.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 11-11-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No experience with rear site. shortly after getting our mkIII I replaced the front sight wiry a hi viz. I really like it and have improved my shooting. I didn't see any need to replace the rear.

Ken

Old 11-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdeut View Post
No experience with rear site. shortly after getting our mkIII I replaced the front sight wiry a hi viz. I really like it and have improved my shooting. I didn't see any need to replace the rear.

Ken
Ken - have You had any problems w accuracy from longer range due to the larger diameter of the fiber optic ? my accuracy was fine at 25' but when I bumped her back to 50' not so well. Front sight,was larger than Tgt diameter. Yet, the Lg front sight aided in shortening shot strings n Tgt transitition...

Do they make a smaller one ? Please take a,look at the article I linked in - some people love the V notch while others prefer the traditional sighting platform.

I will swap out rear blades n let you know how it goes...many dangerous game handguns have the "dot the I" sighting platform.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6670 Times on 4034 Posts
Likes Given: 7921

My Mark II is scoped. I don't use the sights at all.

Well, sometimes I take the scope and use the sights since the scope is zeroed at 50 yds. The sights I have on my gun is the factory issued ones.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I used to think scopes were easier to shoot because you don't have to juggle alignment of front, rear & Tgt. Just put the X on the Tgt and pull the trigger.

No doubt they help reduce group size but they also show you how much you shake n high mag generally increases this effect. Both practice & a rested action help.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Ken - have You had any problems w accuracy from longer range due to the larger diameter of the fiber optic ? my accuracy was fine at 25' but when I bumped her back to 50' not so well. Front sight,was larger than Tgt diameter. Yet, the Lg front sight aided in shortening shot strings n Tgt transitition...

Do they make a smaller one ? Please take a,look at the article I linked in - some people love the V notch while others prefer the traditional sighting platform.

I will swap out rear blades n let you know how it goes...many dangerous game handguns have the "dot the I" sighting platform.

The dia. of the fiber optic was the first thing i noticed. I adjusted my rear sight so the gun kept the "dot the I" sighting. I won't say that my spread doesn't get a little bigger when I shoot from beyond my usual 30' range, but it is still acceptable and getting better. I am still thinking about replacing the factory rear site but not in any rush. please do let me know how you like it when you swap yours out.
I still consider myself new to handguns so trading post like this are very helpful.

Ken

Ken

Old 11-20-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The article in my first post goes over the rear sight question rather well. I got mine from Ruger when I bought the Hi,Viz Sights for $3.60.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6670 Times on 4034 Posts
Likes Given: 7921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I used to think scopes were easier to shoot because you don't have to juggle alignment of front, rear & Tgt. Just put the X on the Tgt and pull the trigger.

No doubt they help reduce group size but they also show you how much you shake n high mag generally increases this effect. Both practice & a rested action help.
Very true.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Very true.
Hopefully, we can get you hooked on manual sights again. The practice on 22s will hopefully, translate to CC, bullseye or whatever disipline you choose.

Right now, I am trying to learn instinctive shooting to decrease my shot strings. Point shooting carries a lot of unwarranted baggage. We've gone over this in other threads and I learn something new every time we do.

It's very hard for me not to focus on the front sight and just trust my index & concentrate on the target. Nitestalker has been doing this for years and is trying to help me get to the next level. I guess old habits die hard and I just need more trigger time.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdeut View Post
The dia. of the fiber optic was the first thing i noticed. I adjusted my rear sight so the gun kept the "dot the I" sighting. I won't say that my spread doesn't get a little bigger when I shoot from beyond my usual 30' range, but it is still acceptable and getting better. I am still thinking about replacing the factory rear site but not in any rush. please do let me know how you like it when you swap yours out.
I still consider myself new to handguns so trading post like this are very helpful.

Ken

Ken
OK - first attempt - rear site came out w/o major issues but getting the new rear sight in while holding spring was major fight and spring came out at Mach 2 hit wall and was lost for 15 minutes while desperate search ensued. Found spring and decided I've had enough fun for today. Will make second attempt another day when blood pressure comes down.