Ruger LCP owners or wannabes - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Ruger LCP owners or wannabes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #71
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,712
Liked 3166 Times on 2150 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default

I'd like to get the Thunder+ because it's a 13 rd. Mag. and only a few 1/10ths of an inch wider....

__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:03 PM   #72
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I'd like to get the Thunder+ because it's a 13 rd. Mag. and only a few 1/10ths of an inch wider....
that would be a good option IMO too.

the Thunder series is as about as small a pistol design i would feel comfortable with.

another one i really like is the Walther PPK series. very solid pistols and about the same size as the Bersa Thunder 380.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #73
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 6,080
Liked 1981 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
that would be a good option IMO too.

the Thunder series is as about as small a pistol design i would feel comfortable with.

another one i really like is the Walther PPK series. very solid pistols and about the same size as the Bersa Thunder 380.
The Bersa Thunder was copied from the PPK with a few improvements. It is an excellent little gun. The 3/4" longer barrel gives a 100 fps jump on the LCP and makes the HP ammo more viable. Only problem is it is bigger and heavier than my S&W Shield.
__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."


Last edited by JTJ; 11-30-2013 at 09:02 PM.
JTJ is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #74
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The Bersa Thunder was copied from the PPK with a few improvements. It is an excellent little gun. The 3/4" longer barrel gives a 100 fps jump on the LCP and makes the HP ammo more viable.
if you lay them side by side, the similiarities are there. some people say that most guns in 380 don't handle JHP ammo very well. so far my Thunder 380 hasn't had any problem with JHP ammo yet. i use FMJ ammo for target practice because it's cheaper.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #75
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,585
Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I'd like to get the Thunder+ because it's a 13 rd. Mag. and only a few 1/10ths of an inch wider....
ive got the thunder plus and thunder. i really like the plus a lot its a damn comfy gun to shoot and surprisingly accurate. however its got a fatal flaw that cant be removed like the thunder can be fixed. its got a mag safety

the thunder can be restored but i havent figured out how to fix the plus yet.

the problem with a mag safety in a carry gun is if you accidentaly hit the release during the course of the day the mag can look seated but not be disabling your gun. sans safety you have at least one shot. mag safety you got nada.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:10 AM   #76
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,712
Liked 3166 Times on 2150 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
ive got the thunder plus and thunder. i really like the plus a lot its a damn comfy gun to shoot and surprisingly accurate. however its got a fatal flaw that cant be removed like the thunder can be fixed. its got a mag safety the thunder can be restored but i havent figured out how to fix the plus yet. the problem with a mag safety in a carry gun is if you accidentaly hit the release during the course of the day the mag can look seated but not be disabling your gun. sans safety you have at least one shot. mag safety you got nada.
I have heard that, but isn't that something a competent Smith can fix?
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #77
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ive got the thunder plus and thunder. i really like the plus a lot its a damn comfy gun to shoot and surprisingly accurate. however its got a fatal flaw that cant be removed like the thunder can be fixed. its got a mag safety

the thunder can be restored but i havent figured out how to fix the plus yet.

the problem with a mag safety in a carry gun is if you accidentaly hit the release during the course of the day the mag can look seated but not be disabling your gun. sans safety you have at least one shot. mag safety you got nada.
that is very true. i am still looking at a way of disabling the mag safety that doesn't bugger it up and look trashy.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #78
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,585
Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I have heard that, but isn't that something a competent Smith can fix?
two problems.

biggest one is your not going to find a smith willing to disable a safety feature on a carry gun.

two it needs a special piece made to remedy the issue. im pretty good at work arounds and mods

reason being is the mag safety spring is also the transfer bar spring. its a really elegant design. on the thunder the safety is a totally seperate piece you can just remove and toss. i suppose they did it that way to remedy a design issue with the thunder safety. on the thunder the safety stresses the transfer bar spring a lot which can lead to the spring breaking on earlier models. they changed the spring metal on current models so it doesnt occur.

removing the safety bar on the thunder removes the excess stress.

on the plus if you remove the spring the gun wont work.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #79
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
two problems.

biggest one is your not going to find a smith willing to disable a safety feature on a carry gun.

two it needs a special piece made to remedy the issue. im pretty good at work arounds and mods

reason being is the mag safety spring is also the transfer bar spring. its a really elegant design. on the thunder the safety is a totally seperate piece you can just remove and toss. i suppose they did it that way to remedy a design issue with the thunder safety. on the thunder the safety stresses the transfer bar spring a lot which can lead to the spring breaking on earlier models. they changed the spring metal on current models so it doesnt occur.

removing the safety bar on the thunder removes the excess stress.

on the plus if you remove the spring the gun wont work.
i am still studying on it myself, but the idea i came up with was to drill a very small hole in the grip frame and the magazine bar and pin it in the up position as if it had a magazine installed all the time.

comments or suggestions? see any flaws or problems that i'm not seeing?
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #80
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,585
Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i am still studying on it myself, but the idea i came up with was to drill a very small hole in the grip frame and the magazine bar and pin it in the up position as if it had a magazine installed all the time.

comments or suggestions? see any flaws or problems that i'm not seeing?
thats about all ive come up with. im thinking right in front of the magazine cuz if you do it near the hammer area your going to run into issues of the transfer bar not working properly and jamming up or not resetting correctly

the other idea ive tossed around is constructing a drop in piece that sits on a part of the frame lifting the spring and being held in place by the grip so there is no permanent drill holes
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger - Gun Owners Take Action Now! canebrake Legal and Activism 82 02-19-2013 12:57 AM
Any ruger sr9 owners out there crgm101 Semi-Auto Handguns 29 08-14-2012 01:39 AM
Ruger lc9 owners g17frantz Semi-Auto Handguns 12 11-04-2011 03:47 PM
Question for Ruger SR-9 and SR-40 owners indyfan Semi-Auto Handguns 6 10-22-2010 05:24 PM
Any Ruger MRK III Owners? thewigs3 Semi-Auto Handguns 7 02-05-2009 05:13 PM