Ruger LCP owners or wannabes - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Ruger LCP owners or wannabes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
That 21 foot rule is an important one to remember, but I have heard a couple different numbers mentioned.

A medic I was talking to from Great Britain tells me they have a 30 foot rule for people armed with a knife. If he's within thirty feet they are supposed to back off and call for help. Their theory is that your reaction time and his momentum makes it too dangerous for you to be within 30 feet.

In my last department we were told 10 feet. I can't post my full answer to that here. It started out along the lines of 'you want me to go out unarmed and let a guy with a knife within 10 feet before I start to run?' It went south from there.

Twenty one works for me, and for many short barrel sidearms it's about the outer limit of well controlled fire in that situation.
I'm not sure about Great Britain, as a whole, but if you're talking about
England, I think you have to be a pretty high ranking LEO to carry a handgun.
Under those conditions, I think even if you have won all the Marathons, you need more than a 30 foot head start. I'll never go to England (unless I inherit a
castle). My travels lately are limited to the Southeast of the USA. Except
South Carolina!

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #52

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

[ my conceal class instructor, mentioned 20 feet as a good practice range as well!! Little far for most snubs. I practice, mainly 15 feet targets with decent groups!! Any further and it's crap shoot-

Old 05-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #53

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall
[ my conceal class instructor, mentioned 20 feet as a good practice range as well!! Little far for most snubs. I practice, mainly 15 feet targets with decent groups!! Any further and it's crap shoot-
Even Hincock can't shoot a bug very far with decent accuracy. That said, I wish I could shoot half as good as that dude. As I've said before, my LCP is for the Opera. My Glock is for the hood.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/08/31/ruger-lcp-review/
Select link above for complete review.

All credit to be given to Phil White on thefirearmblog.com

All LCP owners just "Gotta love Phil for this!"

Excerpt from Firearm Blog: By: Phil White

I took the LCP to the range with a variety of ammunition from inexpensive Winchester white box to Cor-Bon DPX and Remington ball. The Winchester ball is a 95 grain with Remington ball at 90 grains. The Cor-Bon DPX uses an 80 grain bullet.

The Winchester and Remington loads clocked in at 824 to 850 respectively. The Cor-Bon DPX load came in at 1149 FPS. The DPX is a smoking round and the recoil shows it even with a lighter bullet. It’s not unpleasant but you know it has some power behind it. Of course you want all the power you can get when using a .380 for defense.

I set my targets at 7 and 12 yards. My first group was slow fire from 7 yards. I fired a few mags just to get used to the feel and trigger pull. I started my slow fire with the Remington ball ammo. I fired six round groups, which grouped an average of 1.27 inches. The Winchester ammo opened the groups up a bit that didn’t surprise me since every caliber of the cheap Winchester ammo has been less accurate than most other brands. Why do I keep using it? I buy my own ammo for these tests so call me cheap☺ In any event the Winchester opened the groups to 1.6 inches.

Moving on to the Cor-Bon DPX I was rewarded with the best group, which measured 1 inch, which is pretty much one hole. These are great results for such a small pistol.

I stayed at the 7 yard line and fired the next set of groups (six sets of six rounds at all ranges) shooting as fast as possible. I used the Remington ammunition only for this part of the test. I was able to keep all of my rounds within the head of the target with average groups of 5 inches. I didn’t use the sights for the rapid fire test rather looking over the top of the slide.

Moving back to the 12 yard line I started with slow fire as before. I used the Remington ammo first and achieved average groups of 2.6 inches. Again, the Cor-Bon DPX was the most accurate with slow fire groups of 2.1 inches. As I said the Cor-Bon has more snap however in slow fire it wasn’t a factor.

My next groups were rapid fire using the sights this time and taking long enough to get a flash sight picture. My point of aim was the center of the targets head. Again all rounds were within the targets head with an average group size of 3.8 inches.

I was honestly surprised at these rather small groups coming from such a small pistol with a barrel less than three inches long. Taking into account the small sights it’s all the more impressive at 12 yards.

During the entire shooting session there were no malfunctions of any type. I did expect some with the very wide hollowpoint of the Cor-Bon DPX ammo but it didn’t happen.

Conclusion

I can think of a couple of .380 semi auto’s I like. Among these are the S&W Bodyguard I own. The Kel-Tec that is often compared to the Ruger. Still the Ruger came in with the best groups and just felt good in the hand. It was also the most natural pointer of the group.

This was the standard configuration pistol without the Crimson Trace laser. I have fired a friends laser equipped Ruger. As I mentioned earlier it did have that aggravating tendency to shoot low.

I tend to think of a .380 as backup pistol but in summer when a lot of folks wear shorts and t-shirts a pocket pistol you’ll actually carry is better than a .45 left at home.

The Ruger LCP is well made with bevel treatment on any potentially sharp corners, good accuracy and excellent reliability. I can recommend this pistol to any shooter looking for a backup or summer carry pocket pistol. This pocket pistol would fit my needs very well.

I always encourage a potential buyer to go to a range that rents guns and try it out before you buy it. That goes for any gun under consideration. All things considered I believe most shooters will be pleased with the LCP!

Happy Shooting!

Not my blog!
Hope I didn't break any rules! Bob

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Last edited by etbob9; 05-21-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #55

[ I live in Fl so it's summer 11 months out of the year! That's why I use the LCP AS everyday carry!! Although I should have looked at the LC9 a little closer! Just slightly bigger packing the bigger 9mm punch.! Holding 1 more round!!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
[ I live in Fl so it's summer 11 months out of the year! That's why I use the LCP AS everyday carry!! Although I should have looked at the LC9 a little closer! Just slightly bigger packing the bigger 9mm punch.! Holding 1 more round!!
I haven't tried the LC9 but I think it is similar to my Taurus PT709. I'm really
not sure, but if it is, the LCP is very different in concealibility. I do know
that Ruger just came out with the LC380 which is the same size as the LC9.
It seems many people wanted a larger .380.

I really don't think I would want a larger pocket gun. My PT709 is much less
concealable than my LCP, especially in summer clothes. Just my opinion.
Try the LC9. You may like it. I love my Taurus PT709, but I always have my
LCP in my pocket.

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #57

Yes the LCP is great for concealment!! After a week of getting used to I barely know its on my hip! And it never prints, whatever I wear-

Old 05-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Yes the LCP is great for concealment!! After a week of getting used to I barely know its on my hip! And it never prints, whatever I wear-
I'm glad we don't have to worry about printing in Georgia! I understand
Florida has eased up on it's printing and unintentional exposure statutes
a bit. Florida is about the only state I visit lately. I do go thru Alabama
when I go to Panama City Beach, Destin and cities west in the Panhandle.

I love Florida and visit every chance I get!

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Old 10-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Since the last post in this thread back in May, of this year, I am
interested to know if anyone else has an opinion about the use of
FMJ ammo as the preferred round to use in lieu of JHP for EDC.
I realize the .380 is a lighter projectile, but it is also most likely
used at close range. It is also difficult to get off an effective
"doubly tap" with the LCP. IMHO Could just be my long fingers,
but it would be difficult for me.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not giving up on my LCP. I don't even
sleep without it. It's not far from my shower door either!

Any more "deep thoughts" on this subject?

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Last edited by etbob9; 10-11-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbob9 View Post
Since the last post in this thread back in May, of this year, I am
interested to know if anyone else has an opinion about the use of
FMJ ammo as the preferred round to use in lieu of JHP for EDC
I realize the .380 is a lighter projectile, but it is also most likely
used at close range. It is also difficult to get off an effective
"doubly tap" with the LCP. IMHO Could just be my long fingers,
but it would be difficult for me.

Don't take me wrong, I'm not giving up on my LCP. I don't even
sleep without it. It's not far from my shower door either!

Any more "deep thoughts" on this subject?
Since the .380 is a little on the light side performance wise, and since the vital organs you need to hit are essentially surrounded by bone, I see nothing wrong with FMJ ammo. There is also a reliability issue to consider. Using FMJ does help toward reliable feeding.