Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Ruger LCP owners or wannabes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas,Georgia
Posts: 127
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
100 rounds isn't really enough to judge by. Shoot some more FMJ through it and be careful with the oil. For our purposes oil doesn't compress. Too much can actually slow down the cycle and cause problems. Make it shiny, don't make it drip.
This....Also it's possible you could have relaxed your grip momentarily.
I definitely wouldn't worry too much without running more rounds thru
the LCP.
__________________

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

etbob9 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mahall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 891
Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Love my LCP!! Little bug goes where I go!! Ruger makes a slightly bigger version in the 9mm!! Probably be my next gun!! I feel just slightly underpowered with this 380!! But from 10 feet in and 7 rounds, ill probably be ok!!

__________________
mahall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
treehugger49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Newnan,Georgia
Posts: 421
Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
I had a chance today to shoot my LCP. I put about 50 rounds through it and had 1 Failure to feed. The gun only has about 100 rounds through it and the FTF was on my second mag of the day. I was shooting Remington FMJ Walmart ammo. (cant remember the grain) Would you contribute the FTF to break in or ammo? The gun was clean and oiled well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
100 rounds isn't really enough to judge by. Shoot some more FMJ through it and be careful with the oil. For our purposes oil doesn't compress. Too much can actually slow down the cycle and cause problems. Make it shiny, don't make it drip.
My recommendations exactly. If it happens consistently then try a different brand of ammo. It it's flat nosed try some round nose until she's well broken in.
__________________

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

treehugger49 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pawjr74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,352
Liked 1038 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 554

Default

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to keep a careful watch on my grip and put more rounds through it.

__________________
pawjr74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas,Georgia
Posts: 127
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Love my LCP!! Little bug goes where I go!! Ruger makes a slightly bigger version in the 9mm!! Probably be my next gun!! I feel just slightly underpowered with this 380!! But from 10 feet in and 7 rounds, ill probably be ok!!
I think I read somewhere that the LCP is capable of an amazing 21 feet
with very little drop or loss of velocity!

Never personally timed it tho.
__________________

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

etbob9 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbob9 View Post
I think I read somewhere that the LCP is capable of an amazing 21 feet
with very little drop or loss of velocity!

Never personally timed it tho.
Wow! Do they make scope mounts for it?

I like mine, and in my eyes it's a good little gun for what it's designed for. It was never intended to be a target pistol or a 1911 replacement, but when things are turning to ca-ca in a hurry you'll be glad you have it. A .380 in your pocket beats a .44 mag in the safe every day of the week.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
eatmydust Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas,Georgia
Posts: 127
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Wow! Do they make scope mounts for it?

I like mine, and in my eyes it's a good little gun for what it's designed for. It was never intended to be a target pistol or a 1911 replacement, but when things are turning to ca-ca in a hurry you'll be glad you have it. A .380 in your pocket beats a .44 mag in the safe every day of the week.
Oh! I totally agree! Just thought I would mention that 21ft. rule when it comes
to an attacker running at you.

I'm not sure about the scope mounts but my LaserMax works really well.
__________________

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)


Last edited by etbob9; 05-20-2013 at 07:58 PM.
etbob9 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
flybuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 184
Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I had previously mentioned the takedown pin popping out and jamming slide on the 3rd round. Disassembled and reassembled and shot several mags with it yesterday. Kept checking the pin and it stayed tight. I had carried it quite a bit prior to the pop out issue and I believe it was probably loose from being banged around and I failed to see it.

__________________
flybuddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbob9 View Post
Oh! I totally agree! Just thought I would mention that 21ft. rule when it comes
to an attacker running at you.
That 21 foot rule is an important one to remember, but I have heard a couple different numbers mentioned.

A medic I was talking to from Great Britain tells me they have a 30 foot rule for people armed with a knife. If he's within thirty feet they are supposed to back off and call for help. Their theory is that your reaction time and his momentum makes it too dangerous for you to be within 30 feet.

In my last department we were told 10 feet. I can't post my full answer to that here. It started out along the lines of 'you want me to go out unarmed and let a guy with a knife within 10 feet before I start to run?' It went south from there.

Twenty one works for me, and for many short barrel sidearms it's about the outer limit of well controlled fire in that situation.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas,Georgia
Posts: 127
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
I had previously mentioned the takedown pin popping out and jamming slide on the 3rd round. Disassembled and reassembled and shot several mags with it yesterday. Kept checking the pin and it stayed tight. I had carried it quite a bit prior to the pop out issue and I believe it was probably loose from being banged around and I failed to see it.
You banged around your LCP?!!

Seriosly, glad to hear that it wasn't a big problem.
__________________

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

etbob9 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ruger - Gun Owners Take Action Now! canebrake Legal and Activism 82 02-19-2013 12:57 AM
Any ruger sr9 owners out there crgm101 Semi-Auto Handguns 29 08-14-2012 01:39 AM
Ruger lc9 owners g17frantz Semi-Auto Handguns 12 11-04-2011 03:47 PM
Question for Ruger SR-9 and SR-40 owners indyfan Semi-Auto Handguns 6 10-22-2010 05:24 PM
Any Ruger MRK III Owners? thewigs3 Semi-Auto Handguns 7 02-05-2009 05:13 PM