Ruger LCP owners or wannabes - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum >

Ruger LCP owners or wannabes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratrider View Post
What would you consider to be enough rounds for a thorough break-in? I've only fired 9 magazines through mine so far. All but one mag was hollow points with no issues. I wanna stock up on a little more ammo before I hit the range with her again.
That's a fair question, and one that is somewhat subjective. I'll throw out a number that is purely my opinion. Others will probably recommed more, some less. I would consider 300 rounds adequate to identify any serious issues that may crop up.

You've already had some success with HP ammo. The reason I recommend a substantial number of FMJ rounds before experimenting with HP is that if, for some reason, your pistol has trouble with HP in the break-in period, you are now going to have some heartburn every time you head to the range wondering if you'll be able to count on your firearm when you need it. If nothing else, a self-defense firearm needs to be dependable.

Sounds like you're off to a good start.
People Like This 
Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1389 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 252

I've run FMJ, HP, and ZA, with no problems

Old 05-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #33

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
I shot one box of factory FMJ & one box of range reloads in the first break-in session. The factory stuff ran fine, but I had 2 FTE's & some breakdown pin drift on the reloaded stuff. Only my Glocks eat reloads consistently. Pretty concerned about that breakdown pin though.
Hmmm, I've shot a few hundred rounds through mine with only 1 jam. Took it to range a couple of days back and I got a hard jam after only 2 shots because the pin had drifted about 2/3rds of the way out. Going to have to keep a closer eye on the pin.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
Hmmm, I've shot a few hundred rounds through mine with only 1 jam. Took it to range a couple of days back and I got a hard jam after only 2 shots because the pin had drifted about 2/3rds of the way out. Going to have to keep a closer eye on the pin.
Good post. This is the kind of problem we fail to notice, because it
happens so gradually. Normal wear & tear can sneak up on you!
Thanks for sharing that bit of info, about the LCP.

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Old 05-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #35

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Except my LCP is brand new. Pin drift is common with this gun during rapid fire situations in particular. I Googled it and found the problem all over the Internet. I had the same problem with one of my LCP's. After a few hundred rounds of break- in, combined with using brass factory ammo only, the problem seems to correct itself. I would still change the takedown pin, guide rod, and springs after break-in.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #36

Liked 175 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Never had any type of problem with mine, it has +/- 1K rounds thru it. I have polished the ramp to a mirror finish though and added a Packmayr grip sleeve and a Crimson Trace Laser. Best BUG that I have ever owned.......

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #37

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I have a P-3AT. Like most here I prefer FMJ ammo. I carry the little Kel Tec all the time. It's in my pocket right now. I feel a lot more secure with more gun. But the 380 hits a lot harder than I can throw a rock.

I can not recommend Kel Tec products. I own a P-11 and a P-3AT. I went through hell before getting either gun working properly. If you want to become an expert at fixing malfunctioning mouse guns buy a Kel Tec.
LONGHAIR Likes This 
Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #38
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6825 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
[ a ran about 50 rounds FJ through mine Saturday!! Shot surprisingly well from about 20 feet! Which is all I really expect out of such a small Pistol!! Am I selling the gun short or is 20 feet in, about right for decent accuracy??
20feet is MUCH further than the 3-5 of most self defense shootings. so if your hitting the 10-ring at 20 feet your good to go.

yes i find them surprisingly accurate as well.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 05-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1044 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

I had a chance today to shoot my LCP. I put about 50 rounds through it and had 1 Failure to feed. The gun only has about 100 rounds through it and the FTF was on my second mag of the day. I was shooting Remington FMJ Walmart ammo. (cant remember the grain) Would you contribute the FTF to break in or ammo? The gun was clean and oiled well.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
I had a chance today to shoot my LCP. I put about 50 rounds through it and had 1 Failure to feed. The gun only has about 100 rounds through it and the FTF was on my second mag of the day. I was shooting Remington FMJ Walmart ammo. (cant remember the grain) Would you contribute the FTF to break in or ammo? The gun was clean and oiled well.
100 rounds isn't really enough to judge by. Shoot some more FMJ through it and be careful with the oil. For our purposes oil doesn't compress. Too much can actually slow down the cycle and cause problems. Make it shiny, don't make it drip.