Ruger LCP owners or wannabes - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Ruger LCP owners or wannabes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
I've seen a lot of ballistic gel tests on the .380. Those in which clothing and gel are the only media contacted by JHP rounds showed very good penetration. Some tests in which heavy bone was contacted by JHP rounds showed fairly poor penetration, so my staggered stacking is for better penetration.

I know that pass thru is a concern, but by the time that the bullet will have passed thru it's intended target, I'm willing to bet that it has lost enough energy to be fairly tame.
That's a good point. I'll have to give that some deep consideration. I don't
think it would give over penetration with a FMJ .380. Maybe we will get some
more opinions on the subject. Thanks for the post!

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Old 05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2796 Times on 1631 Posts
Likes Given: 1617

Let me add this, I don't know for certain, but I have a feeling that any over penetration of the .380 FMJ would be on par with that of a .357 JHP or a 10mm JHP. I've seen some gel tests where .357 JHP get near 24" penetration.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #13

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

As others have suggested, I alternate, according to the season (i.e., my wardrobe), between an XD-40 service and the LCP.

Mine has the Crimson Trace LaserGuard on it, and the laser certainly can augment the almost non-existent sights and provide a method of getting hits on target when a traditional sight picture cannot be obtained.

I use FMJ only with .380 ammo due to the penetration issue as well. Heavier clothing has been shown to clog up and seriously compromise penetration in the JHP .380 round.

I also agree that it certainly isn't a joy to shoot!

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 05-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5639 Times on 2947 Posts
Likes Given: 372

i carry an lcp everyday. got mine in my pocket right now. even when im carrying a larger gun the lcp is in my pocket.

mine has the laser but i find it next to useless and only good for breaking up the outline of the gun in my pocket. its pretty accurate for a micro pocket gun.

i dont carry hp ammo since hollowpoints in a 380acp have a very very hard time getting into the vitals of a goblin. i use fmj ammo.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

What you guys are saying makes a lot of sense! I guess it's true,
you never get too old to learn! Never had any problems with FMJ.
It's a lot cheaper, too.

Thanks gang!

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Old 05-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 868 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
I bought the LCP a year or two ago its just too small for me, my wife has taken it over and she likes it and can handle it just fine.
My children kid me about my "sausage fingers" so the LC9 is as small as I find practical.
My wife was carrying mine and I didn't realize it... until she called one day wanting to know how to operate the safety {sigh} Scheduled a trip to the range and made her empty the magazine. That trip cost me a 38 spl
Old 05-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

I carry my LCP in my pocket, on my ankle when I can wear a jacket, because I've then got a Glock 27 in an IWB. No complaints about the LCP. I shoot a magazine or two whenever I'm at the range. I had an S&W Bodyguard .380, but for some reason I hate that gun. My wife likes the safety, so she carries the Bodyguard in her purse. I've never had an issue hitting center mass with the LCP at 15-20 feet, and I don't have a laser.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
My wife was carrying mine and I didn't realize it... until she called one day wanting to know how to operate the safety {sigh} Scheduled a trip to the range and made her empty the magazine. That trip cost me a 38 spl
Any excuse to buy another gun....
Oh, did you get her one too?

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Last edited by etbob9; 05-06-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #19

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've had two and sold them both. Now, I am thinking about buying another one. They do come in handy.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have an lcp ... I live the fact that its light and can carry in any pocket. My daily carry is a ruger sr9.

Ling libg trigger and with my big hands hard to shoot but what a great backbup