Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Replace MK II Mag Release

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Default Replace MK II Mag Release

Does anyone know how to do this ? Bunch of YouTube videos on everything except this. I have a Volquartsen extended release coming from Midway and it would be nice to know how to install it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6675 Times on 4038 Posts
Likes Given: 7939

Well, all I can say is I replaced the thumb safety on my Mark II and it was hellish. But I am not very experienced with guns. These guys here on the forum cheered me on, encouraged me and posted links. It took me a month of patience/impatience to get it back together.

I'm sure you'll do much better than I did. Someone will come along who will be able to give you some constructive advice.

You might want to contact JonM. He knows a lot about the Marks.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #3

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Well, all I can say is I replaced the thumb safety on my Mark II and it was hellish. But I am not very experienced with guns. These guys here on the forum cheered me on, encouraged me and posted links. It took me a month of patience/impatience to get it back together.

I'm sure you'll do much better than I did. Someone will come along who will be able to give you some constructive advice.

You might want to contact JonM. He knows a lot about the Marks.
I've never done it, but I can only imagine it's difficult. Not to promote another forum, but the guys on rimfire central are extremely knowledgeable.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yes, I've been there and Bo-Cu info even a few extend mag release changes but they are all MK IIIs.

Winds - if you would like a walk down memory lane, there is a YouTube Video where a gent who really knows his stuff takes a MK II completely apart (except mag release) and he makes it look really easy.

Note: when you are REALLY good or just talented, you can make almost anything look easy. Nutenfancy tried to do the exact same thing w Volquartsen Accuracy kit and screwed it up. He blew it w the Hammer, Safety & associated other parts. Old Nutenfancy had to do some "creative editing" + suddenly safety n sear were installed. (Amazing how many parts they can attach w one pin.)

The Vid was MK II Assembly/Disassembly Easy Part 3/3.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 06-12-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: I can't type

Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #5

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla
Does anyone know how to do this ? Bunch of YouTube videos on everything except this. I have a Volquartsen extended release coming from Midway and it would be nice to know how to install it.
The MKII with the heel release and not the 22/45? If so take of the grips and the push out the lowest pin. The release will drop out. Pay attention to how it is oriented and how the spring sits in it. Put the new one in the same way the old one came out while making sure the spring is pushing it properly and put the pin back in. Viola, it is complete. if you need better instructions or pictures let me know.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6675 Times on 4038 Posts
Likes Given: 7939

I'm telling you. Contact JonM.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garadex View Post
The MKII with the heel release and not the 22/45? If so take of the grips and the push out the lowest pin. The release will drop out. Pay attention to how it is oriented and how the spring sits in it. Put the new one in the same way the old one came out while making sure the spring is pushing it properly and put the pin back in. Viola, it is complete. if you need better instructions or pictures let me know.
this is pretty much how you do it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

1001 thanks to all. It went on exactly as you said. One pin and the part fell out. Put extended release in the same way, just behind the spring and simply replaced the pin.

All you need is punch and hammer. Don't know why I waited as long as I did. Makes a world of difference, especially w VQ grip.