Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ruger Handgun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/)
-   -   Replace MK II Mag Release (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/replace-mk-ii-mag-release-92185/)

Gonzilla 06-12-2013 12:07 PM

Replace MK II Mag Release

Does anyone know how to do this ? Bunch of YouTube videos on everything except this. I have a Volquartsen extended release coming from Midway and it would be nice to know how to install it. :p

winds-of-change 06-12-2013 01:36 PM

Well, all I can say is I replaced the thumb safety on my Mark II and it was hellish. But I am not very experienced with guns. These guys here on the forum cheered me on, encouraged me and posted links. It took me a month of patience/impatience to get it back together.

I'm sure you'll do much better than I did. Someone will come along who will be able to give you some constructive advice. :(

You might want to contact JonM. He knows a lot about the Marks.

Olympus 06-12-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1274269)
Well, all I can say is I replaced the thumb safety on my Mark II and it was hellish. But I am not very experienced with guns. These guys here on the forum cheered me on, encouraged me and posted links. It took me a month of patience/impatience to get it back together.

I'm sure you'll do much better than I did. Someone will come along who will be able to give you some constructive advice. :(

You might want to contact JonM. He knows a lot about the Marks.

I've never done it, but I can only imagine it's difficult. Not to promote another forum, but the guys on rimfire central are extremely knowledgeable.

Gonzilla 06-12-2013 08:04 PM

Yes, I've been there and Bo-Cu info even a few extend mag release changes but they are all MK IIIs.

Winds - if you would like a walk down memory lane, there is a YouTube Video where a gent who really knows his stuff takes a MK II completely apart (except mag release) and he makes it look really easy.

Note: when you are REALLY good or just talented, you can make almost anything look easy. Nutenfancy tried to do the exact same thing w Volquartsen Accuracy kit and screwed it up. He blew it w the Hammer, Safety & associated other parts. Old Nutenfancy had to do some "creative editing" + suddenly safety n sear were installed. (Amazing how many parts they can attach w one pin.:o)

The Vid was MK II Assembly/Disassembly Easy Part 3/3.

Garadex 06-13-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzilla
Does anyone know how to do this ? Bunch of YouTube videos on everything except this. I have a Volquartsen extended release coming from Midway and it would be nice to know how to install it. :p

The MKII with the heel release and not the 22/45? If so take of the grips and the push out the lowest pin. The release will drop out. Pay attention to how it is oriented and how the spring sits in it. Put the new one in the same way the old one came out while making sure the spring is pushing it properly and put the pin back in. Viola, it is complete. if you need better instructions or pictures let me know.

winds-of-change 06-13-2013 12:02 PM

I'm telling you. Contact JonM.

JonM 06-13-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garadex (Post 1275182)
The MKII with the heel release and not the 22/45? If so take of the grips and the push out the lowest pin. The release will drop out. Pay attention to how it is oriented and how the spring sits in it. Put the new one in the same way the old one came out while making sure the spring is pushing it properly and put the pin back in. Viola, it is complete. if you need better instructions or pictures let me know.

this is pretty much how you do it.

Gonzilla 06-29-2013 09:00 PM

1001 thanks to all. It went on exactly as you said. One pin and the part fell out. Put extended release in the same way, just behind the spring and simply replaced the pin.

All you need is punch and hammer. Don't know why I waited as long as I did. Makes a world of difference, especially w VQ grip. :D

Gonzilla 08-17-2014 02:59 PM

Update

The new vQ release didn't work w VQ grip. Gun kept jamming. So I brought the gun back to its original configuration and it works fine.

Talked to VQ and they sent me a new mag release. Looks exactly like the old one. Ammo scarce, when I take the gun out, I need it to perform. So it's been kept original - well kinda - it has a white grip on.

Summary:
MK II w VQ grip -functions fine but can't access mag release easily.
MKII w VQ grip n VQ mag release - gun will not cycle reliably.

Return to Original Configuration - all is well.