Question about the LC9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > Question about the LC9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 89 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Default Question about the LC9

I've looked through the forum and searched too, but didn't see my answer anywhere. I am new to shooting and want a gun for CC. I absolutely love the feel of the LC9. It feels like it was made for my hands. I like that it has a long trigger pull. I even love all the other safety measures built in. (I know... experienced shooters don't like some of these features, but I'm kinda glad they are there!) Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has the gun to shoot it before buying it, and there are no rental ranges anywhere close. My question is this: As a new shooter and this being my first gun, how "bad" is the recoil? I've seen references made to it, but they range from not much recoil, to it being "snappy" and that it has "bite". Is the recoil rough enough I should avoid this gun for my first, or like most things is it something I should be able to easily adjust to?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1198 Times on 669 Posts
Likes Given: 497

What handguns have you shot? Tell us what shooting experience you have and maybe we can offer some comparison.

I have never shot the LC9 either, but shot lots of other stuff.

Enjoy the new adventure on which you have embarked.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7098 Times on 4272 Posts
Likes Given: 8607

I have no doubt you will be able to handle the LC9. Especially since it fits your hand so well. Get it, have your husband shoot it while you watch to see how the gun reacts. Then hold on to it and shoot it. As you get more experience you'll be able to handle it better. Buy that LC9 and enjoy it.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2803 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

The LC9 is a fine CC gun, it is not my favorite to shoot, but I stake my life on it's operation regularly. I also carry an LCP and a S&W J-frame .357, depending on dress and weather.

The LC9 is not painful to shoot by any means, it has respectable recoil, but nothing compared to shooting .357 mag. rounds out of my J-frame. My wife shoots the LC9 comfortably with FMJ, range rounds, the JHP full-power SD rounds have a little more oomph! You will be shooting many more FMJ rounds than SD rounds (I hope!), you will be just fine and will enjoy your LC9.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2034 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Small frame 9mm pistols are a little snappy. This one has some weight to it so it's not bad for recoil. But this isn't the gun you take to the range to shoot targets all day long - it is built for concealment/defense purposes, and to pack the punch of a full 9mm Luger round. I like the long trigger pull as well - if I were using this for target or competition shooting I would not like it - but I leave the safety 'off' because that trigger pull is more than an adequate safety

My LC9 conceals quite well. I'd recommend it for carry

Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the input! I've only shot a .22 pistol of my husband's before and it was huge in my hands so I wasn't comfortable with it. I've watched several videos of the LC9 being shot, by experienced shooters and those who are shooting it for the first time. It didn't look like it would have too much recoil, but you never know. I'll be shooting a lot here at home, but just to make sure I'm comfortable with it and to improve my accuracy. I'm sure as I get there I'll find another one I want to shoot for fun. Kinda like tattoos or potato chips....you can't have just one!

Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3162 Times on 2148 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default Question about the LC9

First off, Welcome to FTF! If you have not done so ( unless I Missed it) why don't you stop over at the introductions thread and introduce yourself?!
We also happen to have a Podcast here( co-Hosted by TekGreg, Vikingdad, and some other guy who has spent years Talking about Football Computers Guns and Music....
I've had my LC9 since Early April of 2012. I have never "Replaced" the trigger, but have had a few things done to it. I've been shooting a long time, but had to switch from bigger Calibers and don't shoot them as much because of Back and Shoulder injuries. Mine has about 1500 rounds through it. I have changed the front sight, added a side frame mounted laser, and have 8 Magazines for it(6-7 rounders, 4 with finger ext. And 2 9- rounders with an extended grip. I feel folks with Medium and smaller hand benefit from the extra space and weight vs. the recoil. The +P ammo kicks the most, but it's not intolerable unless you have bad arthritis or carpal Tunnel. Other guns in the LC9's class are the Kel-Tec PF9/P11, the a Diamondback DB9, The Kahr 9 MM's, the SCCU CPX-2, the Walther PPS is a bit bigger, and so is Rugers SR9C. Ruger also puts out the

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 06-17-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3162 Times on 2148 Posts
Likes Given: 689

(cont) the Same Gun in a 380, the LC380, with a reduced slide and recoil over the LC9. The LCP is Smaller still, but has a lot of recoil for its size. My LC9 runs a Few Types and Brands of ammo better then others. For Ball ammo, it likes the Remington UMC's and the PMC Bronze and Silver, and the Fiocchi. For HD we feed it Hornady Critical Defense/Critical Duty/ Custom , Federal High Shok, Federal Guard dog, and a few others, including Fiocchi's 115gr. & 124Gr. HP's. It does not like any ammo where the bullet is lighter then 90Gr. Except for the Magtech 90Gr. And the Fiocchi 92Gr. Smaller guns have heavier recoil springs, and thus some of them have issues with lighter ammo. I can carry mine several ways, pocket holster in a jacket, vest or pants pocket, in a "Man Bag", inside or outside the belt, or Shoulder rig,..,well that about does it for my LC9 Expose...I did a review on it in the article section last year maybe you can find a range that rents one. If you lived in Northern Arizona you could come and shoot mine...with your Husband and my wife of course ..,

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the specific ammo recommendations. If I were a few miles closer (states,too) I'd take you up on the offer....with your wife and my husband, of course!

Old 06-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

LoniJo, I suggest you check out the SR9c also. I have one for about 2 years and I absolutely love it.