post your rugers. - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > post your rugers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

SR9 and 10/22

forumrunner_20121211_105611.jpg   forumrunner_20121211_105654.jpg  

Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #72

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetango View Post
Mini 14 Ranch Rifle

LCP
My husband is buying me the lcp ...do you like it or any info? The only thing I see wrong is the sights but I am going to buy a crimson trace.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 AM   #73

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Plenty of reasons the LCP is one of the single fastest selling models in pistol history. It is extremely small, light, and generally reliable... It IS a Ruger afterall... I prefer the LC9 myself as I find it really hard to shoot the smaller LCP well... I also like the idea of a mechanical safety between me and accidental discharge. The LC9 is a bit larger than the LCP but still a very concealable pistol. With that said, if you are still getting the LCP do NOT spare expenses on ammo. High quality defensive loads are a must in the slightly less potent .380. Something like a Hydrashok, Speer Gold Dot, or Critical Defense/ Critical Duty will by substantially more effective than other lesser rounds... With all that said, I wouldn't knock the LCP... It is a model that has done its job over and over and over...

Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #74

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the info. on the lcp. I will keep the ammo advice in the front of my mind. One more question if you don't mind, do you have any problems with the sights? Some people say the laser is a must because the sights are poor. Like winds pointed out not so much in a defensive situation, but could get frustrating at the range.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #75

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon1976 View Post
Thanks for the info. on the lcp. I will keep the ammo advice in the front of my mind. One more question if you don't mind, do you have any problems with the sights? Some people say the laser is a must because the sights are poor. Like winds pointed out not so much in a defensive situation, but could get frustrating at the range.
Shannon... are you new to shooting? Sounds like maybe.

I own The Ruger LCP and the Ruger LC9. Also a snub nose 38 Special revolver -- all meant for concealed carry. Are you thinking concealed?
Of my choices, I almost always take my LCP - it hides so well - back pocket holster - it's perfect...
Occasionally I have taken the revolver - but it has always been when I am out walking - generally front pocket holster. I prefer revolvers - but the LCP is so much more concealable that I almost always take it - especially if it is to a social type situation rather than an outdoors thing.

A female friend has also has the LCP and the 38 revolver (we both took our CCW training together I bought conceal guns first - sehe liked mine - bought hers). I taught her to shoot - she took to it quickly and wanted her guns!
But she has a weakness in one of her arms (bad shoulder) and therefore she has trouble working the slides on semi-autos. Well ... yes ... the LCP is a semi-auto. But she likes it so much for it's small size that she has learned to cope with the slide. She often carries her 38 in purse also.

The LCP is not the most pleasant to shoot. It is light - and that makes it's recoil kinda stiff. It's not as bad as another 380 I had bought - and sold because of lots of troubles - including recoil being too stiff. The LCP is softer than that one - as judged be two lady shooters that shot them both.

The 38 Special (Smith and Wesson Airweight) is heavier - bu it is still a light gun - but with a more powerful cartridge - so it has a pretty stiff kick too.
The LC9, even though it has the most power of the rounds (9 mm), it is the most comfortable of the three to shoot. But it is larger and heavier - the heavier part softens the recoil. The heavier a gun the more it absorbs recoil.

But I have never carried the LC9 though I have an excellent holster for it. It is just larger and heavier than the other two - so I don't chose it when I go out. I almost always chose the LCP.

The recoil thing is something to consider - but our thinking is - we have both practiced with these guns - we work them well. We hit our targets well. And a concealed's purpose is for self defense - close up - fine aim is not usually a part of that. So trying for great accuracy at the range is not necessary. ...... Having a gun with you that you can work for two or three shots is what is important. If the gun gets too big - then you (we) tend not to carry it.

As far as the LCP sights go - Ruger has done a terrific job of rounding off all the corners and edges of that gun so that it can be concealed easily and not get hung up on clothes or holsters or belts..etc. So all protrusions have been reduced smoothed or eliminated. It wil draw very well without getting hung up on something... like protruding sights. Yes, the sights are small - but that is the reason - to make the gun very concealable and not get hung up on clothing,,,, with protrusions.
the sights work for me.
I appreciate the gun for what it is. It has never had a failure on the range - and it does what it does very well. And I actually carry it because it is the way it is.
One more comment on trigger - specifically trigger pull. The LCP (and LC9) have long trigger pulls. some people complain about this. Those long pulls replicate the trigger pull of a revolver - revolver trigger pulls are also long - they have to be - in order to cock the hammer and then release it. But that long trigger pull on revolvers does not require a safety - because the pull is long and very deliberate - no mistakes in pulling it - it is not a hyper short light pull like some people advocate on some semi-autos.
The LCP long trigger pull is the same thing. It is, in effect, a "safety" - as a revolver's long pull is a "safety". You will never find a safety on a revolver - for these reasons - long pull ----- thus Ruger's thinking -- with the long pull for these two guns. It is excellent - for me - my opinion.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #76

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

Whisper quite, doesn't cycle, but very quite. In the sig 522 cycles fine and quieter.

image-2141066677.jpg

Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #77

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Just put my down payment on my new ruger today

Old 12-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #78

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

Very very quiet

image-1928509282.jpg

Old 12-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #79