Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ruger Handgun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/)
-   -   New SR9C - should I clean b4 using 1st time? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/new-sr9c-should-i-clean-b4-using-1st-time-77385/)

jammer 11-29-2012 11:57 PM

New SR9C - should I clean b4 using 1st time?

Just bought a new SR9C and was reading on the net and saw several articles about stripping down the gun and removing all factory lube and relube b4 firing for the first time. I sent a question to Ruger CS but have not heard back. Anyone else know about this?

StainlessSteel215 11-30-2012 12:01 AM

Yes, absolutely. I do this with all new guns, used too. The factory goo will be a thick white grease and will attract every single piece of dirt, lead, and carbon you can throw in its direction.

Enjoy that gun by the way, I owned one and it was sweet

HOSSFLY 11-30-2012 12:49 PM

Yes you shud--
Course i fired mine about 500 times before so much as wiping it down :)

GaryGlock 11-30-2012 01:05 PM

I personally field strip and clean every gun I buy before firing it.
Helps get a little more familiar and I feel a little better knowing everything is nice an clean an ready to go. Enjoy that Sr9!

TX45 11-30-2012 06:15 PM

Yep, as other folks said above. I always cleaned the new guns before taking them to the range. I also took the striker assembly out to clean it and the firing channel.

(SR9c is just the same)

ncampbell 11-30-2012 07:57 PM

Believe it or not, some gun manufacturers say not to. The original grease has an abrasive in it that is designed to help break in your gun. I always fire at least 100 rounds through all of my guns before field stripping it for the first clean.

HOSSFLY 11-30-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncampbell (Post 1033666)
Believe it or not, some gun manufacturers say not to. The original grease has an abrasive in it that is designed to help break in your gun. I always fire at least 100 rounds through all of my guns before field stripping it for the first clean.

Oh no---
Not the dreaded "break in" thing again :o

jjfuller1 11-30-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jammer (Post 1032695)
Just bought a new SR9C and was reading on the net and saw several articles about stripping down the gun and removing all factory lube and relube b4 firing for the first time. I sent a question to Ruger CS but have not heard back. Anyone else know about this?

i clean every gun i buy before i shoot it. i want to learn it, verify nothing is clogging the barrel( hey ya dont know, thats why i check!) and all the parts work right.

jjfuller1 11-30-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncampbell (Post 1033666)

if you wouldnt mind, i am curious about this. what companies say this. do you think you can post links to facts to back this up?

HOSSFLY 11-30-2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 1033718)
if you wouldnt mind, i am curious about this. what companies say this. do you think you can post links to facts to back this up?

Inquirein minds 'n all that ;)