Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ruger Handgun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/)
-   -   New SR40 - wow!~ (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/new-sr40-wow-79216/)

chloeshooter 12-23-2012 12:53 PM

New SR40 - wow!~

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased a Ruger SR40 a couple of days ago, had it's range debut yesterday. wow! I have a 10/22 from Ruger which is a great little gun, but this is my first handgun. Not just from Ruger, but period.

I shot a rental SR40 prior to buying, so I had an idea what was going on. Not much kick for a .40 in my opinion. Especially compared to 9mm's I have shot. Shoots 100% true out of the box. No jams, feeding issues, very pleased indeed. I'm a big guy (6', 270) so this is an OK size carry gun for me; I also prefer the single-action over double-actions. I was really interested in going the 1911 route (based on looks and reputation) but I have to say I don't like the double action at all, and unless you want to spend a lot of $$, most of the ones I've handled have a "cheap" feel to them. The other reason I ended up with .40 S&W: 15 shots per clip (vs what, 7-8?). Whatever I may be missing in quality on any given day, I'll make up for with volume ;)

SR40 take-down is extremely easy, as is re-assembly. I can do both in less than a minute combined. This is a no-BS gun, which I prefer. I have always been very hands-on in terms of taking apart rifles and shotguns, so I know how they work, can maintain them myself and in a pinch can fix a problem in the field. This is easy as in cleaning a bolt-action rifle or a Remington 870 is "easy". Like I said, big guy, big hands, no problems handling any of the pieces.

I bought this gun based on excellent reviews and test info but the real kicker for me was how well it shot, fits my hand and at $450, a great new gun for the money. I'll check back in after I put few thousand rounds through it

Colby 12-23-2012 01:03 PM

Haven't shot 40 caliber but had heard that 40 caliber has a sharper/harder kick compared to the 9mm. Sounds like you think not...
Any opinions from other guys?

sparky80 12-23-2012 01:15 PM

Sr 40's do shoot softly for a 40. If they fit your hand they are a great gun.

aandabooks 12-23-2012 01:45 PM

I've got the SR9 and it is a great gun. Ruger makes quality guns. Congrats on your SR40. May it be the first of many to come.

kjdeut 12-24-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1063092)
I've got the SR9 and it is a great gun. Ruger makes quality guns. Congrats on your SR40. May it be the first of many to come.

Same here, my SR9 is my favorite and most fun to shoot.

Colby 12-24-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjdeut (Post 1064054)
Same here, my SR9 is my favorite and most fun to shoot.

You know, of all my carry guns - 380, 38 Special, 9mm - my Ruger LC9 is the most pleasant to shoot - and the most fun.
What is it with Ruger and the 9mm - or maybe Ruger in general??
I like 'em.
And I've got Smiths and Colts...

Jtelli71 12-25-2012 02:33 PM

I have an sr40 and its a nice shooter. It's my first and only 40cal. It's got a bit sharper recoil than my 9's but I was expecting that. I think my friends xd40 shoots softer. Overall I think the sr40 is a great gun for the money.

rmarino14 12-25-2012 10:00 PM

I have the SR40c and it's a really nice gun. Recoil is very manageable for a compact.
I also have a LCP and picked up the LC9 last week.

kjdeut 12-26-2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colby (Post 1064075)
You know, of all my carry guns - 380, 38 Special, 9mm - my Ruger LC9 is the most pleasant to shoot - and the most fun.
What is it with Ruger and the 9mm - or maybe Ruger in general??
I like 'em.
And I've got Smiths and Colts...

My first Ruger was their MKIII 22/45 and I got it because of the good things I was told from other owners and also the price, I have not been disappointed with my decision. I have also learned they have great customer service so I haven't found anything yet not to like.

WorldTraveler 01-16-2013 04:00 AM

As I've already got an SR9C, I think I've sold myself on the "SR" family. I've already told the banker (wife) that my next 2 weapons are the SR 40 and 45. I'm hoping that I can convince her to move up to a semi-auto. She feels there's not enough strength in her hands for racking the slide, etc. Only pistol I've got is a Super Single Six in 22LR, Just wish I still had the origional version, but hindsite is 20-20. She went with a S&W model 360 J frame for her CCW. Though I didn't agree with it, It's her weapon and feel it should be the shooter's decision on what to carry. Sorry for the rambling, but I think Ruger has got it right with the SR family of weapons.

Clint