New Ruger LC9s!!!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > New Ruger LC9s!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 04:43 AM   #1
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3171 Times on 2152 Posts
Likes Given: 689

Default New Ruger LC9s!!!

Yesterday, Very Quietly, Ruger introduced an updated version of the LC9,..The LC9s! While very similar in concept with Ruger's new SR9e, With the LC9s they introduce a new 2 Piece "Smooth Trigger" that is much Crisper and takes Less Weight to actuate. There are also some improvements to the Recoil spring, to make it "Approach" the Lighter resistance more like the LC380. We have a Prescott Factory tour we are putting together for next month, and we hope to have more news of these and new releases in the near future.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #2

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 112

From what I understand, the "s" is supposed to stand for Striker. Were the old LC9's DAO?

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

DrFootball Likes This 
Old 07-30-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2040 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I'd welcome any improvements Ruger can make. The LC9 is to me a perfect carry size and weight for a pocket gun/small conceal gun. But I absolutely hate the trigger and because of this (and the low round capacity) I don't carry it as much as I used to.

I'd also like to see that loaded chamber indicator go 'bye bye'. Dumbest idea ever. Just another part to break and get hung up on something while holstering/un holstering. All in all, between the current DAO trigger, the loaded chamber indicator and the safety....that's just too many bells and whistles for a pocket size gun. Let's assume if it's a carry pistol, it's loaded, shall we?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 AM   #4

Default LC9 Vs LC9s

Crazed: YES it's a DAO. one of the reasons I've been carrying it 90% of the time the last 2-1/3rd years. If I wanted an exposed Hammer in a Concealed(pocket) Carry Gun, I'd get something else. If You Want to cock a Hammer Carry A Revolver. The Only wheel guns I'm shooting are My 6-1/2" Judge, and My Late Dad's Security Six, and Every so Often my Wife's SP101. I carry(the other 10% of the time/Concealed) My 34 Y.O. S&W 439 with ASP systems Mods and +1 mags,..
The Only time I "Open Carry" is Shooting in the Desert, or on AZ. Ranger Duty, where I'm required to carry a DA/SA Gun,..I carry an M9A1.

C.S. While we have disagreed in the Past, and do sometimes still, I do wish the "Indicator" were Smaller, but I don't feel it needs to "go away." Although I consider myself a very SAFE firearms owner, and have NEVER had an AD/ND in 45+ years of Shooting everything from a daisy bb gun to hitting the Trigger Button on twin GE M-134 20MM Mini guns undermounted to an MH-60, and Firing 2.75" Tactical Rockets,...I like the "loaded" indicator. I have (now 5) different holsters for My LC(just got my CrossBreed today!) it has never snagged on anything, even the one time I "Plaxico Burress'ed" it in a Sweatpants Pocket to Answer my front door at 10Pm at night...(freaked out my friend next-door!!)
BTW, My info is strictly preliminary, and I don't expect i'll learn anything else until we go to the Prescott Facility sometime Next Month, at which time I MIGHT get to test fire one if they are nice to me...
I do Readily admit that I am Biased(positively) towards Most of What Ruger Does,..but I have been shooting their stuff for over 40 Years..If this New "Striker" trigger is "really Lighter & Crisper" then I'll find a way to Swap out my current one for a New One..

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-31-2014 at 09:07 AM.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2040 Times on 1068 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post

C.S. While we have disagreed in the Past, and do sometimes still, I do wish the "Indicator" were Smaller, but I don't feel it needs to "go away."
Well Doc, if it was about being in agreement I'd just talk to myself (more) lol.

Check out the loaded indicator on a CZ75 sometime. You can easily feel it but it's abut the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen. that's how it ought to be done IMO

I generally don't like loaded chamber indicators for these reasons:

First, ever since the time I took gun safety at 11 years old, we were always taught that every gun is loaded and should be treated that way. Having a bell or whistle tell me what I already know seems like a waste of something or other

Second, the Rugers I have owned with this feature include SR40 (it was WAY over the top large), LC9, 22/45 and an SR22. In every case this was easily the 'weakest link' of the firearm, and I wished in each case it was not a part of the gun at all. Things protruding on pocket guns/carry pistols are usually bad

Third, aesthetically, IMO it makes the gun look stupid and adds zero to functionality. Sometimes I wonder if Ruger has product liability lawyers sitting amongst their design team...........
Old 07-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #6

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 112

So not to get off topic.

It's been almost 2 years now since I got back into shooting after a break that last around 15 years. Long story.

Back when the Glocks were first introduced, a lot of people referred to ANYTHING with a long trigger pull as DAO. I had someone get pretty snippy with me last year over an article I wrote referring to a Glock 19 as DAO. The terminology had changed and I wasn't even aware of it.

What's interesting is the distinction, which for bobbed or concealed hammers is often without a difference, seems to be all about trigger pull. As a design feature, I don't like a dedicated "revolver pull". Even on revolvers I at least have the option of cocking the hammer. On something like the LC9 it makes some sense since a short barrel isn't going to be conducive to long range accuracy anyway.

All the same, I think this new design is going to be better overall. I want a longer trigger pull for a self defense weapon but I don't necessarily think a harder one is necessary. Holster with trigger guard, practice with the 4 rules in mind, good to go. 1 in the chamber with the safety off. I still like the S&W Shield better as a design, but I like having Ruger giving them some real competition (yeah, yeah, I'm aware of the Springfield XDs). Competition is good for gun owners.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

DrFootball Likes This 
Old 07-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Well Doc, if it was about being in agreement I'd just talk to myself (more) lol.

Check out the loaded indicator on a CZ75 sometime. You can easily feel it but it's abut the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen. that's how it ought to be done IMO

I generally don't like loaded chamber indicators for these reasons:

First, ever since the time I took gun safety at 11 years old, we were always taught that every gun is loaded and should be treated that way. Having a bell or whistle tell me what I already know seems like a waste of something or other

Second, the Rugers I have owned with this feature include SR40 (it was WAY over the top large), LC9, 22/45 and an SR22. In every case this was easily the 'weakest link' of the firearm, and I wished in each case it was not a part of the gun at all. Things protruding on pocket guns/carry pistols are usually bad

Third, aesthetically, IMO it makes the gun look stupid and adds zero to functionality. Sometimes I wonder if Ruger has product liability lawyers sitting amongst their design team...........
I have shot the CZ75B that belongs to a friend at our indoor range. He loves his but he thinks his M&P is a Better Gun then the CZ. Go figure. I guess it's not much of an Issue for me. In have The LC, and SR9, and Have Shot another friends SR40 & 40C as well(recently). I ale think its good to have for folks shooting a Gun with and Indicator for the first time if they are going to a DAO or Striker Gun from a DA/SA or SA Gun,...

Old 08-14-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

Hickock Approved

I ordered one early today, then saw this later in the afternoon. If it's as good as he says, it may replace my PM9.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
DrFootball Likes This 
Old 09-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have already posted elsewhere, but I will add here, that I put about 100 rounds through my new lc9s and the trigger pull is excellent. I didn't even notice it. It seemed about like my XD. So it's all good.
Now I have an lc9 for sale, cheap.