You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum >

My 9E Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default My 9E Review

Picked up my first 9mm a few months ago. Picked up the 9E, Price was good, Not fancy but it will be my CCW, Out of the box looked real good. Shooting it showed a minor issue, Kept getting FTE. Always shot but the FTE were a pain. Different ammo and mags same issue, Field stripped ( Very Easy ) several times, After shooting 300 + rounds the FTEs were once in awhile. After 500 rounds it was flawless, Shooting Federal 115 gr Aluminum case ammo, Blazer Brass and some Critical Defense. All went well till I picked up some PERFECTA aa5 gr at Wally World 10$ a box. Every mag had several FTE :O Switched back to Blazer Brass and Federals ate them well with no FTEs .. Guess my 9E does not like the Perfectas. But a lot of people have no issue with the Perfectas , 20$ loss but 100 rounds of nice brass so not too bad a day lol

File Type: jpg DSC00127-w705-h500.jpg (38.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00128-w800-h600-w800-h600.jpg (35.5 KB, 59 views)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2015, 01:49 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5413 Times on 2548 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

Radco,

The Fed Aluminum Case and the Blazer are basically target loads. With a pistol that has a stronger guide/recoil spring and is designed for shooting full blown duty or defense rounds a lot of times will have FTE because the rounds are not hot enough to compress the spring and operate the weapon. I guess my question is with proper lubrication which is essential did it function with the Critical Defense Rounds? As you have experienced there is a reason some of the rounds that are very inexpensive are inexpensive. Usually cheap poor quality powder and reduced charge in them. This causes problems with a lot of the quality guns built for defense. Because if the springs were not adequate and strong enough the guns operation could be very aggressive and severely damaged it with full blown defense rounds. Glad to hear it is working better and keep the slide and rails lubed properly. And certainly carry defense rounds that work flawlessly in the pistol. One can tolerate a malfunction once in a while shooting practice ammunition.
Nice Pistol by the way!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment

Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Radco,

The Fed Aluminum Case and the Blazer are basically target loads. With a pistol that has a stronger guide/recoil spring and is designed for shooting full blown duty or defense rounds a lot of times will have FTE because the rounds are not hot enough to compress the spring and operate the weapon. I guess my question is with proper lubrication which is essential did it function with the Critical Defense Rounds? As you have experienced there is a reason some of the rounds that are very inexpensive are inexpensive. Usually cheap poor quality powder and reduced charge in them. This causes problems with a lot of the quality guns built for defense. Because if the springs were not adequate and strong enough the guns operation could be very aggressive and severely damaged it with full blown defense rounds. Glad to hear it is working better and keep the slide and rails lubed properly. And certainly carry defense rounds that work flawlessly in the pistol. One can tolerate a malfunction once in a while shooting practice ammunition.
Nice Pistol by the way!

Thanks for your reply! I love the 9E! I agree 110% on quality ammo to carry I wont cheap out there Thanks for the great info that is what I was looking for input good or bad.I field stripped it and cleaned several times light lube. So far the only ammo I am having issues with is the PERFECTA. But for the range mainly cheapy stuff. I believe the recoil spring is 17 lbs maybe 18.. I will hopefully start to reload again this year.. Been 20+ years since I reloaded and then it was for shotguns as I was skeet shooting weekly...
Rich

Old 12-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #4

Default My 9E Review

Same thing happened to me when mine was new. After a quick break in and lube, I've had 0 issues. Love the 9E, and carry it also.

I'm referencing Perfecta ammo as well.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:07 AM   #5

I just bought my first gun which happened to be the 9E and i was having the same issue but only put around 25 rounds through it so far and read to strip and clean it so i did that tonight and hopefully it will help to solve the issue, other than that i really enjoy the gun!

Old 02-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Clean it and shoot it. Then repeat. I love my 9E. It eats everything I feed it. I had to drift the rear sight to the right (it was shooting left). I also removed the magazine disconnect.

I own the SR9c as well. I bought a second 10rd mag for it and use the 17rd mags with the 9E. Great platform.

Last edited by dks7895; 02-01-2017 at 05:58 PM.