Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > mk 3 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 559 Times on 369 Posts

Default mk 3 question

Hey guys. I have a mk 3 bull barrel and I had a question about suppressors. Is standard threading on a suppressor 1/2 x 28? When a gunsmith threads a barrel does it affect the bore at all? Lets say I wanted to thread it myself ..... is threading the outside of the barrel the only thing that needs to be done?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #2

Liked 7547 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

Disclaimer- I am NOT a gunsmith (God knows!) I would hire a competent smith who has a good shop and can use a lathe. Issue is not just threading the exterior, but threading it so that it is exactly in line with the bore, and not canted in any way.

Unless you are a tool and die maker, I would not. At best, you will save yourself a few $$. At worst, you have an unsafe firearm. In the middle, only a messed up barrel that would need replacing.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

Liked 559 Times on 369 Posts

I have access to a large cnc shop with all kinds of equipment. I may try and have it threaded. I'm fine with having to buy a new barrel I just wasnt sure if it was all external work or not