Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ruger Handgun Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/)
-   -   Mark lll jamming (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f175/mark-lll-jamming-99831/)

Wildcat54 11-02-2013 11:47 AM

Mark lll jamming

Having problems with jams. I'm using CCI 40 grain bullets I've also used.Federation 40 graiin also. Any suggestions?

chloeshooter 11-02-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat54
Having problems with jams. I'm using CCI 40 grain bullets I've also used.Federation 40 graiin also. Any suggestions?

Are you tapping back on the magazine before inserting? That helps

Wildcat54 11-02-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloeshooter (Post 1420591)
Are you tapping back on the magazine before inserting? That helps

U mean tapping the back side of magazine? I'll make an extra effort in this.

drvsafe 11-02-2013 12:30 PM

A few questions:
When was the last time you cleaned the spring? Have you ever cleaned the magazine or the bolt? When was the last time you DIDNT have an issue?
When is the jam occurring?

John_Deer 11-02-2013 12:46 PM

If your pistol is new I would try tapping the magazine. If tapping the magazine doesn't work, I would send the gun back to Ruger. Ruger will send a prepaid shipping label in the the first 90 days or so of ownership. After that it's up to you to pay for shipping. I have seen ammo affect the accuracy of a mark III but I never seen ammo affect the reliability of a ruger, especially CCI mini mag ammo.

Axxe55 11-02-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat54 (Post 1420589)

are your magazines OEM or aftermarket? many Rugers are sensitive to the quality of the mags and don't want to work properly with the aftermarket mags.

try out different ammo as well. many rimfires are ammo sensitive.

is the gun new or used? if used, maybe a good thorough cleaning and oiling. new, contact Ruger with your issues and see what they have to say. might need to go back and have it looked at by them.

Wildcat54 11-02-2013 03:27 PM

The pistol is new maybe 250 rounds spent. It has jammed since the beginning. No I haven't taken it apart yet but clean it every time I shot. Maybe back to Ruger is the right advice. I'll call them Monday morning. TY

Gonzilla 11-02-2013 04:21 PM

I'll take it for granted you have NOT decided to change/add/modify the gun in any way, shape or form. Then send it back to Ruger and let them play w it for awhile. First n foremost, make sure your gun functions. 22's are notorious for being finicky about ammo.

How finicky ? Think Teenagers - some resemble teenage boys and eat everything while others are like teenage girls...(draw your own conclusions)

Step II - Accurize. (it's your right to chase after that fraction of an inch you probably could never achieve on your best day.) :D.

I w then remove all the BS safety stuff they added. (Triggers don't need help being bad) Change out the trigger or add Volquartzen acc kit. sear, hammer etc. - Your done.

Bottom line: Platform is more accurate than 90% of the people pulling the trigger. (Rugers are not known for good triggers - why VQ sells so many of them.) ;)

Axxe55 11-02-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcat54 (Post 1420702)
The pistol is new maybe 250 rounds spent. It has jammed since the beginning. No I haven't taken it apart yet but clean it every time I shot. Maybe back to Ruger is the right advice. I'll call them Monday morning. TY

i would try some different ammo. i agree that some 22's can be very picky about what they like to shoot, and some seem to work fine with whatever they are fed.

winds-of-change 11-02-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1420838)
i would try some different ammo. i agree that some 22's can be very picky about what they like to shoot, and some seem to work fine with whatever they are fed.

My Mark II shoots anything I feed it. Never had a problem.