LCP issues

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > LCP issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default LCP issues

I have about 500 rounds through my LCP and two issues came up during the last range trip:
1. With the action open, the slide release let go when inserting a new magazine chambering a round. This happened twice. I like to open the action to help cool down the barrel while shooting another gun. This one concerns me.
2. When cleaning the weapon, I noticed the spring was beginning to overlap the guide rod. This isn't much of a surprise because the springs & guide rods in the LCP & LC9 are pretty much toys. I have a new stainless rod and better springs ordered.
Anyone else run into this with their baby Rugers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The springs in my wife's LCP overlapped also causing misfires, I reshaped them and solved the problem, however temporarily that may be. I was searching the forum to find out if this was part of the recall I recently heard about. Where did you get your replacement springs?

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1289

The bottom line is these guns are designed to be personal protection weapons. With that a minimal amount of rounds to be fired through them. They were not designed to be used for an excessive amount of rounds as a target or training pistol. That is also one reason they are made the way they are and priced as reasonably as they are! If they are then one should stock spare parts and pay attention to the frame and slide also.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 10-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

My wife hasn't shot more than 300 rounds through her LCP and thoroughly cleaned it after each time it was shot. Being a self defense carry, I can't think of any gun I would want to rely on any more. I would think 300 rounds is no more than minimal to become proficient enough to defend herself.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 510 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Trashed mine before it started giving me any problems.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
The bottom line is these guns are designed to be personal protection weapons. With that a minimal amount of rounds to be fired through them. They were not designed to be used for an excessive amount of rounds as a target or training pistol. That is also one reason they are made the way they are and priced as reasonably as they are! If they are then one should stock spare parts and pay attention to the frame and slide also. 03
Agreed. I empty my LCP about once a month just to shoot it. It's not a "fun" gun to shoot by any means.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #7

Like many guns it had its flaws. Their is a new one out for 2013 with many upgrades. Better trigger pull, better sights, better mag release button among other things. Old is on the left new on the right

image-1637078453.jpg

Old 11-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5740 Times on 2999 Posts
Likes Given: 380

i noticed the over lap issue on my lcp. i took the large open ended spring and turned itt around so the larger end was at the muzzle end of the guild rod. problem solved

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 862 Times on 390 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i noticed the over lap issue on my lcp. i took the large open ended spring and turned itt around so the larger end was at the muzzle end of the guild rod. problem solved
I had a similar experience with my wife's lcp and another firearm I replaced the guide rod in, all I did was open the end of the spring with a pair of needle nose pliers and problem solved.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2016 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

I got rid of mine and bought a Sig P238. Solved the getting beat up issue too.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.