LC9 Trigger update
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Ruger Handgun Forum > LC9 Trigger update

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default LC9 Trigger update

I picked up my LC9 about 3 months ago. I've only put about 50 rounds thru it, because the LC9 is the only weapon I have ever owned that I hate the Trigger. I think if I would of test fired this gun before I bought it, I would of never bought one.

But after some research, I found out about the Galloway Precision trigger upgrade kit. Went to their web site to order the kit, and its been backordered. In fact it was backordered for 2 months. The kits came in last week, I ordered one and got on yesterday.

The kit is designed to reduce the trigger pull and reduce the travel of the trigger. It comes with the RTK trigger of your choice, a new trigger bar that reduces the distance by 35 % (You get another 15 % reduction with just the RTK trigger for a total of 50%). Plus replacement springs for the Hammer, Lifter, Blocker and Firing Pin. This is a full shop make over.

It took me about 3 hours to complete the upgrade (included 3 separate dis-assembly due to errors in assembly by the back yard gun smith).

What a difference. It indeed reduced the trigger distance by 50% (that was what I disliked the most). The trigger pull is just right (I don't have a gage but I would say 3-4 lb).

I like this gun now

lc9_3a.jpg  

Last edited by anm2_man; 06-10-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3288 Times on 2236 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Congrats ! I had the Factory Trigger worked on by a certified Ruger Armorer about a year after I got the gun. Instantly, I had improved groups. Now at 10yds and in my groups are less then 2" and at 12 ft(4 yds ) I can put them anywhere I want( even play tic tac toe on the targets)....
I did try different recoil springs, and eventually put an exact replacement (#16) Spring back in, even though the orig. Is fine( changed at 1400 rds) I have about 1600 rds. Through mine now (26 months). I'm proud of the fact that I have never had to Draw it yet in the two years and two months I have owned it. It's in a Fobus nightstand mounted holster at night, and daytime resides in one of 4 holsters: Owb- Mitch Rosen dual cant, Iwb DeSantis Insider, and pocket, either the Blackhawk#3 or the DeSantis Nemesis...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

3-4 oz on a DOA ?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 06-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #4

I think he means 3-4 Lbs,..not Ozs....3 ounces would be a "rat hair" trigger,..it could go off if you breathed heavy on it....Try to "bump Fire" a DAO Pistol and your most liable to cause an FTE....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
3-4 oz on a DOA ?
Typo - fixed
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 400

They have some decent how to videos. http://gallowayprecision.com/how-to-videos/

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #7

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
Typo - fixed
10-4 , I was thinking man I guess I should have kept mine . LOL that would be one sweet DAO trigger though at 3-4 oz

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 06-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
They have some decent how to videos. http://gallowayprecision.com/how-to-videos/
They are OK except for some very important items. Like "What position does the the Hammer Pin has to be in". You can't see it on the video. Its shown for an instant, and then its not clear there are 2 positions that you can put that pin in. I have several others, but they did a decent job. Videos are ok, but it doesn't tell you everything. They did answer my emails quickly so that I could finish the updates. Thats the good news.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #9

Default LC9 Trigger update

They love their customers!!!
I was explaining to some guests today( husband & wife couple) the difference between a SAO, DAO, and SA/DA triggers. He is about 3" shorter and about 75Lbs lighter then me, his wife is close to 5'10". I was giving him a small tour of some of our various items and their Nomenclature while the ladies discussed other things, and kept their Son and Daughter busy. He's been an archer since his teen years, so he had the most fun in my Back yard shooting My Cross bows, and watching me throw a few knifes and my Throwing Axe,..... But I think he was most impressed with my LC9 and S&W 439,.. I told him even in 9MM the smaller the gun the harder the recoil , and it took me a years worth of practice to get used to shooting a gun of that size in that caliber, and suggested he get a larger one to practice on, and something "Not as small as mine" for SD right away. The other consideration is they both work at the hospital, and can't Carry legally on premises. They can lock it up in their cars,. But they were more interested in HD anyway,...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited by DrFootball; 06-16-2014 at 10:15 AM.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #10

Just wanted to do an update. Took the pocket gun to the range this am. The new trigger works like a charm. I fired about 50 rounds (various MFG & Reloads), No FTF, FTE etc. It shoots a bit low left (I need to work on the sites since I had to move them for the trigger upgrade).

I'm one happy LC9 Owner !